PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Archer build

Andry
2015-07-12, 06:17 PM
So I have been invited into my first Pathfinder game. The party consists of a wizard, a cleric, a summoner whose eidolon is a melee brute, and a paladin. It sounds like they need a rogue for trapfinding and skills. I do want to play some type of archer though. So is a rogue archer even viable in Pathfinder? I start at 3rd level. So I would like some help with a decent build.
Thanks in advance for any help given.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-12, 06:35 PM
I'd say no. They don't have full BAB and thus probably can't afford Deadly Aim, plus there aren't many ways of reliably proccing Sneak Attack outside of melee.

Frosty
2015-07-12, 07:32 PM
Use a ranger archetype that gets Trapfinding, and ditch the rogue class. Then go have fun with archery.

Red Fel
2015-07-12, 07:42 PM
Use a ranger archetype that gets Trapfinding, and ditch the rogue class. Then go have fun with archery.

This one (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trapper) might be what you're thinking of. A Trapper Ranger gives up the ability to use spells, which is admittedly stings. In exchange, however, you add Disable Device to your skill list, and gain Trapfinding, as the Rogue ability. You also gain the ability to affix Ranger traps to your ammunition, which takes your archery and makes it just a bit more dangerous.

So that's an option, if all you want is a functional trapfinding archer.

Snowbluff
2015-07-12, 10:51 PM
IMO clerics make better archers.

Or, if you're sacred of clerics, go inquisitor I guess.

Patented Snowbluff Technique (tell no one): Cast Greater Named Bullet. Use abundant ammunition. if they are not on your spell list, play a samsaran. Add Saddle Surge to taste.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-12, 10:57 PM
Inquisitor is probably the strongest archer that won't make your DM throw books at you. Lots of to-hit and damage boosts (judgement, bane, spells), and they're actually capable in noncombat situations. Also they can get a flying mount through the Animal Domain (I recommend the Roc in particular, because it's like the riding eagle but better). Flying mounted archery is IMO the best combat style, because it's high-damage, it's mobile, and it's safer than standing on the ground.

Snowbluff
2015-07-12, 11:03 PM
That, pretty much. Roc does get my vote. I don't like inquisitors, but they function. *shudder*

Remember, as long as you mount doesn't move over it speed (ie, double move, running, or charging), you can make a full attack with your bow.

Psyren
2015-07-13, 09:23 AM

Or better yet, get Trapfinding with a trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/campaign-traits/mummy-s-mask/trap-finder) or VMC Rogue (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement), and keep your spellcasting.

Molosse
2015-07-13, 09:32 AM
If you're looking for a Roguish Archer might I recommend a Slayer (VMC Rogue)? You gain full SA progression as opposed to the Slayer's stunted progression while also grabbing Trap-finding, Evasion and Uncanny Dodge.

Finally the access to both Ranger Combat Styles and Rogue Talents (Including Weapon Focus and a Combat Feat) will mean that even with sacrificing 5 feats you'll be more than able to keep up with the feat tax Ranged combat traditionally brings to bear while Studied Target will provide additional to-hit/damage on top of the Slayers full BaB. There's even an Archetype to help with that ala' the Sniper, it grants you reduced penalties from firing from range and, ala' new errata, grants the following power instead of it's listed ability at level 2:

"Deadly Sniper (Ex): At 2nd level, when the sniper makes an attack against a target who is within his weapon’s first range increment and completely unaware of his presence, that attack ignores the 30 foot range limit on ranged sneak attacks, and if it is a sneak attack, he adds his sniper level as a bonus on his sneak attack damage roll. After this first attack, the target is aware of the sniper’s presence."

So for example at level 7 on a sneak attack against a target who has no clue you're about and upto 120ft you'd be doing two attacks of:
D8(Bow)+Str Bonus+2(Studied Target)+3D6(Sneak Attack)+7(Deadly Sniper).
That's of course without any magical items, feats or anything else you care to add. Suffice to say it's pretty decent.

If you want a more spell-casting feel I would recommend either the Arcane Duelist Bard or some variation of Inquisitor/Warpriest.

grarrrg
2015-07-13, 10:18 PM
Slayer is quite solid if you want to go the non-caster route.

Slayer (VMC Rogue)? You gain full SA progression as opposed to the Slayer's stunted progression while also grabbing Trap-finding, Evasion and Uncanny Dodge.

Well... you do eventually wind up with 10d6 Sneak Dice at level 19, but I wouldn't call it "full" SA progression...there be some pretty choppy spots in there.

If you want a more spell-casting feel I would recommend either the Arcane Duelist Bard or some variation of Inquisitor/Warpriest.

Would not recommend a Bard though. Not near enough in the way of archery-ness.
Inquisitors make solid archers. Warpriest should work too, I just prefer Inquisitors.

Snowbluff
2015-07-13, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't put the kibosh on Bard. They have a bunch of good self buffing abilities. Now, their self buffs are quite as good as inquisitors, and they are not anywhere nearly as good as 3.5 bards, but they can buff allies at the same time.

elonin
2015-07-13, 10:36 PM
Since you said PF, the trapfinding feature isn't really necessary to do the job competently. I played a straight up ranger with archery style. It was boring enough that I took wizard and arcane archer and I wouldn't recommend that. Looking through the classes I noticed that paladin does fairly well for archery builds.

Geddy2112
2015-07-14, 12:51 AM
Are guns a thing in your campaign? If so, are you opposed to using one over a bow or crossbow? If so, consider the steel hound archetype of the investigator. Lots of skills, alchemy, and some other fun out of combat things.

That said, a bomber alchemist can do a lot of damage through a crossbow with the right discoveries.

Corlindale
2015-07-14, 02:02 AM
Archaeologist Bard loses some group buff potential in exchange for a lot of Rogue stuff. Its Luck feature synergizes well with archery, and you can still use your spells to greatly buff yourself and others.