PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo President Satoru Iwata passed away

Antonok
2015-07-12, 07:15 PM
This seemed like the place to post this. Seems he passed away yesterday (http://kotaku.com/nintendos-president-has-passed-away-1717386412) at age 65.

Wonder what effect this will have on Nintendo as a whole.

Devonix
2015-07-12, 07:16 PM
It's a sad day for gamers everywhere. Someone who helped bring up a generation and saw Nintendo through some wonderful times and some rocky seas has passed today

DaOldeWolf
2015-07-12, 08:09 PM
Its really a sad day for Nintendo fans. Not to mention, he died not too long after the backlash from the last e3. That is a pretty bad way to go. :smallfrown:

cobaltstarfire
2015-07-12, 11:08 PM
At 55*

I'm really sad to see him go, I feel it'll be hard to find a CEO that can fill his shoes, he had a really unique set of skills and background that was perfect.

RoyVG
2015-07-13, 05:09 AM
He was a very likeable person, and received almost cult status with his shenanigens in the Nintendo Directs. He felt more connected to his audience than most other company presidents combined. It gave him a unique and lovable personality that resonated with all things Nintendo stood for.

He will certainly be missed. We understand Mr. Iwata, we understand

Alent
2015-07-13, 05:40 AM
"Bile duct tumor" Sounds like a painful form of Karoushi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi). :smallfrown:

Even though I hate what the modern Nintendo has become, Iwata was an inspirational CEO of the highest order during his entire tenure. All the times he went before NCL shareholders and took personal responsibility and paycuts when a project floundered under his watch instead of blaming it on people... you just don't see that kind of personal responsibility and employee loyalty from CEOs very often anymore. (Japanese ones more so than others, but still...)

I wonder what will happen to the company now. With that brutal E3 backlash and a new console/handheld/something on the way, they're really going to need someone amazing to fill his shoes. :smallfrown: