PDA

View Full Version : Combat Awesome

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-30, 08:58 PM
I ended up typing a bunch of semirelated stuff before actually getting to the point of this thread, feel free to give advice on the stuff I spoilered (an ECL 20+ Gestalt build centered around the making of loads of attacks) if you want.
So, theres a Gestalt game going from level 1 up into Epic (at least 21, which is what was advertised in the OOC thread) that I'm in here on the boards.
Being that I've been itching to play one, I decided to plan up a Thri-Kreen (worked up a monster level progression) Warblade that was going to rock at combat.

My planned build up to ECL20 is Racial 4/Feat Rogue 1/Bloodstorm Blade 1/Bloodclaw Master 5/Bloodstorm Blade 9//Warblade 20.
Thus far, I have reached ECL 4.

Currently looking to pick up Weapon Supremacy on my chosen weapons (kukris), and quite possibly improved critical as well. This leaves me all of 1 open feat (looking at Far Shot, to double my combat range with Bloodstorm Blade) after PrC prereqs, MWF, and the weapon feats, plus the Warblade bonus feats (currently planning Quick Draw, Blade Meditation (Tiger Claw), Combat Reflexes, and Tiger Blooded).

Aside from Weapon Supremacy and Perfect Multiweapon Fighting at level 21, I haven't put much thought into Epic, until quite recently. Specifically, because my mind wandered to Psionics, and from there the War Mind
The psionic PrC War Mind has a fun ability called Sweeping Strike, that lets you target 2 adjacent squares with every melee attack you make. On its own, its handy, but then you look at the Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw, which lets you treat ranged attacks with thrown weapons as melee attacks until the end of your turn, and suddenly its applications are much awesomer. I emailed Wizards about it (yeah I know their reputation for giving 'correct' answers). This is the answer I got.

Discussion Thread Response (Support Agent)04/30/2007 05:43 PM
[not me],

When you are using Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw ability with the War Mind's Sweeping Strike you could resolve your attacks as ranged attacks and each attack would be resolved against two adjacent squares.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire (http://www.wizards.com/survey/custservemail0105.htm).

To login to your account, or update your question please click here (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/[email protected]&p_next_page=myq_ilp.php).

[The nice guy at WotC who answered my question]
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Customer ([not me again])04/30/2007 05:18 PM
How does the Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Thow ability interact with the War Mind's Sweeping Strike?Naturally, this response makes me emit high-pitched squeels of delight. What are your opinions on it?
:edit: ...wow, I just noticed that he said "resolve your attacks as ranged attacks"

Jasdoif
2007-04-30, 09:08 PM
Doesn't Sweeping Strike only work on adjacent squares that you threaten?

And doesn't the Master Thrower's "Two with One Blow" trick do the same thing that you're trying to accomplish, anyway?

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-30, 09:10 PM
...So it does.
:edit: eh, sort of, but there's the penalty to attack, plus it won't help with any regular melee attacks I make, plus I'd have to take Weapon Focus in a proper thrown weapon, which a kukri ain't, and I plan on getting my Chatkcha the Aptitude enchantment, so that it benefits from my weapon-specific feats anyway.

Jasdoif
2007-04-30, 09:15 PM
I hate it when those little key words sneak into ability text.

But personally, I would go with Master Thrower and the Two with One Blow trick even if Sweeping Strike would work, if that's all you wanted. One level of Master Thrower and a -4 penalty on the attack roll, vs five levels of War Mind. You could do a lot more stuff with four more levels.

Douglas
2007-04-30, 09:18 PM
Yes, but You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm), which with the Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw ability happens to be every square within your thrown weapon range. Incidentally, this means a Bloodstorm Blade can take AoOs with his thrown weapons, making the standard spiked chain battlefield controller obsolete. Take Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill), etc. and this could really get scary.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-30, 09:21 PM
Incidentally, this means a Bloodstorm Blade can take AoOs with his thrown weapons, making the standard spiked chain battlefield controller obsolete. Take Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill), etc. and this could really get scary.Sadly, the ability only lasts to the end of your turn, so no AoO goodness.
:edit: That said, I love you for noticing that handy tidbit with the threatening.

Douglas
2007-04-30, 09:29 PM
Oops, I didn't notice that little detail. Oh well, so you can't get 50' reach for AoOs quite that easily. It still lets you use any and all normally melee-only options during your turn.