PDA

View Full Version : Can EK weapon bond a magic arrow? Can mending cantrip repair a broken magic arrow?

tieren
2015-07-12, 08:19 PM
I am thinking about multiclass in into eldritch knight with my ranger archer. If I do I have two questions.

First, can I use the weapon bond feature to bond a magic arrow that I could recall after firing with my bonus action. (I assume there is no issue bonding the bow itself).

Second question is whether if the magic arrow breaks I can recall the pieces and fix it with the mending cantrip, and whether it would keep its magical properties through that process.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shaofoo
2015-07-12, 08:39 PM
An arrow is not a weapon so an EK cannot bond with an arrow.

Mending will not restore a magic arrow back to its present self, the DMG says that all magic is gone as soon as you fire the ammunition, so you could end up with a fully intact non magical arrow after firing, mending will not help you.

SharkForce
2015-07-12, 09:56 PM
why not just bond with the bow?

tieren
2015-07-12, 11:56 PM
My plan was to bond with both, so that if I woke up in a cell or something I could summon a functioning ranged weapon to me.

I was also hoping this would let me get more use out of magical ammo which seems pretty rare to me so far to be so consumable.

TheOOB
2015-07-12, 11:58 PM
My plan was to bond with both, so that if I woke up in a cell or something I could summon a functioning ranged weapon to me.

I was also hoping this would let me get more use out of magical ammo which seems pretty rare to me so far to be so consumable.

A dagger is also a functioning ranged weapon.

dragsvart
2015-07-13, 12:05 AM
mending can fix the arrow but it wont be magical anymore, however a magic arrow probably wont break in most cases.

as for bonding with the arrow that would be something to ask your DM, personally I would allow it.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-13, 05:55 AM
An arrow is not a weapon so an EK cannot bond with an arrow.

Mending will not restore a magic arrow back to its present self, the DMG says that all magic is gone as soon as you fire the ammunition, so you could end up with a fully intact non magical arrow after firing, mending will not help you.

This and as far I know you can't repare magic iteams with mending.

tieren
2015-07-13, 06:57 AM
the DMG says that all magic is gone as soon as you fire the ammunition, so you could end up with a fully intact non magical arrow after firing, mending will not help you.

Is that true of other ranged magic weapons? Could I bond a magic spear or javelin and use the ability to recall it?

rollingForInit
2015-07-13, 07:23 AM
Is that true of other ranged magic weapons? Could I bond a magic spear or javelin and use the ability to recall it?

That'd probably work? A Javelin, dagger or handaxe wouldn't be ammunation - those are weapons that can be thrown.

For an archer, it'd be better to just bond with a magical bow or crossbow. That way, you would always get the enhancement. Magical arrows are just extra icing on the cake, really.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-13, 09:57 AM
That'd probably work? A Javelin, dagger or handaxe wouldn't be ammunation - those are weapons that can be thrown.

For an archer, it'd be better to just bond with a magical bow or crossbow. That way, you would always get the enhancement. Magical arrows are just extra icing on the cake, really.

That's the reason why stuff like arrow of slaying is rare/uncommon, or oil of sharpness not very rare.

SharkForce
2015-07-13, 11:47 AM

if you want an emergency ranged attack for when you have no equipment, you're an eldritch knight... use a cantrip. fire bolt requires no material components, has decent range, and does respectable damage.

a magical bow gives you the bonus to all arrows shot anyways.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-13, 11:52 AM
This and as far I know you can't repare magic iteams with mending.

It can repair a magic item, but cannot restore magic to it.

tieren
2015-07-13, 12:32 PM
if you want an emergency ranged attack for when you have no equipment, you're an eldritch knight... use a cantrip. fire bolt requires no material components, has decent range, and does respectable damage.

a magical bow gives you the bonus to all arrows shot anyways.

I get it and will. I am trying to focus as an archer and the idea of popping up from unarmed to shooting with my bow had appeal (possibly combo'd with arcane charge to pop out of the cell shooting, I'll probably do something similar with the cantrip or another range weapon but it won't be the same).

I was also thinking of the one lucky arrow I kept for clutch situations or the black arrow that dropped Smaug, and maybe building a longer term relationship with it.

Icewraith
2015-07-13, 03:26 PM
Keeping a dagger attuned (I believe you get multiple attunes) isn't that bad an idea anyways, for all those times you find yourself in tight quarters where you can't cast the right spell (or don't have the right spell) and can't swing a bigger weapon freely.

Y'know, like inside monster stomachs. Or during a grapple. Or when you've been captured and tied up with rope. Or when you want to add your dexterity modifier to damage (1d4+5) for three attacks in melee instead of a 2 or 3d8 shocking grasp.