PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kingdom Building question

Asteron
2015-07-12, 09:03 PM
We just started the Kingdom building portion of the Kingmaker campaign today and I realized I may have been doing something wrong in the building of the kingdom.

Today, I was using the assumption that building a Farm was a single farm, albeit a large one. However, I realized after the session that it might be more proper to interpret it to mean that it means that you cultivate the whole hex to be used for farming, or rather most of it. Right?

Seerow
2015-07-12, 09:09 PM
We just started the Kingdom building portion of the Kingmaker campaign today and I realized I may have been doing something wrong in the building of the kingdom.

Today, I was using the assumption that building a Farm was a single farm, albeit a large one. However, I realized after the session that it might be more proper to interpret it to mean that it means that you cultivate the whole hex to be used for farming, or rather most of it. Right?

Correct.

For reference, most things in Kingdom Building are abstracted in that way. When you buy an Inn, it's not just a single inn building (seriously the plot it's on is 750' x 750', or about the same size as 300 mid-sized modern houses smooshed together), but rather a district/block of your city that either has a number of inns, or a larger inn is the dominating feature of the district. In either case it comes with various homes, shops, and other assorted similar supporting buildings.

Asteron
2015-07-12, 09:36 PM
Just like building a house isn't just one house, its more like building a small residential neighborhood.

This makes much more sense now.

Can they have Farms in the same hex as a settlement?

Seerow
2015-07-12, 11:10 PM
Just like building a house isn't just one house, its more like building a small residential neighborhood.

This makes much more sense now.

Exactly.

Can they have Farms in the same hex as a settlement?

I'm not certain of the RAW on it, but it is something I allow. A hex is something like 130-150 square miles, even a major metropolis is maybe 2-3 square miles, with most settlements being much smaller.

Asteron
2015-07-12, 11:17 PM
I'm not certain of the RAW on it, but it is something I allow. A hex is something like 130-150 square miles, even a major metropolis is maybe 2-3 square miles, with most settlements being much smaller.

Also makes sense.

I'm thinking about allowing a mine and a farm at the same time. A mine shouldn't take up an entire hex's worth of land. Neither should a quarry. There is a big quarry in my town and farms all around. It certainly doesn't take up a hundred square miles, and neither would any pollution from it.

Thanks for the help!

Frosty
2015-07-13, 11:19 PM
This kinda feels like Sim City to be honest...

Milo v3
2015-07-13, 11:37 PM
This kinda feels like Sim City to be honest...

Don't forget to create a tarrasque beacon so you can have bowser a tarrasque attack your city when you get bored.