PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Adept - New Player Race (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 10:46 PM
So, this is something I've been thinking about making for a while, and I was wondering what the forum thinks. I'm pretty sure that nothing is broken :P

The Adept

Cursed Immortals
The Adept are humans that long ago sought immortality. They captured a small contingent of the gods, mocking them and blackmailing the gods into giving them the secrets of immortality. Once the gods had given up the secrets to immortality they cursed the humans who blackmailed them, so that if they tried to attain immortality, they would achieve prolonged life, but they would still eventually die. The curse has been passed on to every generation since, but the negative effects of the curse have left the Adept, but they retain their magical abilities and prolonged life.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. The Adept mature extremely slowly, being the equivalent of a 10 year old human when they're 50. They are fully matured by the time that they are 90 years. The oldest recorded Adept lived for 500 years, but it is suspected that they can live longer.
Alignment. Adept are extremely versatile, and don't tend towards any one alignment.
Size. Adept stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Darkvision. Due to your magical awareness, you have superior vision in dim light and darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it was bright light, and darkness as if it was dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Minor Magic. As an Adept you can cast non-damaging cantrips, that don't grant you resistance, as a bonus action and gain one of your choice from the Wizard's spell list. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip.
Powers of the Mind. You know the Vicious Mockery cantrip. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip. You also have resistance against psychic damage.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and Celestial.

Submortimer
2015-07-12, 10:57 PM
Minor Magic. The Adept can cast non-damaging cantrips as a bonus action, and gain one of their choice from the Wizard's spell list. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip.

I was with you allllll the way, until this.

Here's where this breaks: Blade Ward. For the cost of my bonus action every turn, i have resistance to magical and non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. This makes them better fighters than nearly everyone else.

other than that ONE spell, you're pretty much golden.

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:01 PM

Here's where this breaks: Blade Ward. For the cost of my bonus action every turn, i have resistance to magical and non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. This makes them better fighters than nearly everyone else.

Hmmmmm...duly noted.

JNAProductions
2015-07-12, 11:02 PM
True Strike, also. Advantage on every single attack as a bonus action.

Draco, just make a list of utility and fluff only cantrips. In fact, maybe just fluff cantrips. (Mending and Druidcraft, for instance.)

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:02 PM

Fixed it. They can no longer get Blade Ward :)

JNAProductions
2015-07-12, 11:03 PM
True Strike. daslkfnafjeqnqflja

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:04 PM
True Strike, also. Advantage on every single attack as a bonus action.

Draco, just make a list of utility and fluff only cantrips. In fact, maybe just fluff cantrips. (Mending and Druidcraft, for instance.)

I'm not worried about True Strike, since to gain the effects of that spell, you have to maintain concentration. If your concentration is broken, you wasted your bonus action which you could've used for an offhand attack :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:05 PM
True Strike. daslkfnafjeqnqflja

It has the potential to be broken, but I'm not too worried at the moment. I'll playtest it, and see if it ends up being too OP.

JNAProductions
2015-07-12, 11:07 PM
Honestly, I'd just make it "You can cast any non-damaging cantrip." No special bonus actions, just regular.

And oh. Con is your casting modifier? HELLO SHILLEGAH BARBARIAN! Con and Dex only.

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:09 PM
Honestly, I'd just make it "You can cast any non-damaging cantrip." No special bonus actions, just regular.

And oh. Con is your casting modifier? HELLO SHILLEGAH BARBARIAN! Con and Dex only.

The only issue with Shillegah, is it's a Driud cantrip, not a Wizard cantrip :(

JNAProductions
2015-07-12, 11:10 PM
Does Shillegah count as damaging? It doesn't deal direct damage, just modifies a weapon.

I'd really consider making a list of what cantrips you do have.

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:13 PM
Does Shillegah count as damaging? It doesn't deal direct damage, just modifies a weapon.

I wouldn't count it as damaging, but it's on the wrong spell list as the Adept are written right now.

I'd really consider making a list of what cantrips you do have.

Hmmmm...maybe. If I did this, I would definitely leave it as a bonus action.

JNAProductions
2015-07-12, 11:14 PM
The Adept can cast non-damaging cantrips as a bonus action

That does not specify Wizard cantrip. It lets you cast any cantrip, from any spell list. Did you mean it to be Wizard only?

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:17 PM
Minor Magic. The Adept can cast non-damaging cantrips as a bonus action, and gain one of their choice from the Wizard's spell list. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip. Any cantrip you choose must not grant you any damage resistances.

That does not specify Wizard cantrip. It lets you cast any cantrip, from any spell list. Did you mean it to be Wizard only?

Okay, that does work, I guess, now that I reread what I wrote. My intent was that it would only be from the Wizard's list, but honestly I don't mind them casting any non-damaging cantrips as a bonus action. They'll just start with one from the Wizard's list. :)

DracoKnight
2015-07-13, 12:21 AM
Are there any other issues? I'll playtest True Strike.

Submortimer
2015-07-13, 01:13 AM
True stike specifies that it doesn't take effect till your next turn, so it shouldn't really be an issue. I could see Rogues breaking this to get sneak attack damage on every attack, but they have other things they need to use their Bonus Action for.

DracoKnight
2015-07-13, 02:55 AM
True stike specifies that it doesn't take effect till your next turn, so it shouldn't really be an issue. I could see Rogues breaking this to get sneak attack damage on every attack, but they have other things they need to use their Bonus Action for.

That's what I was thinking. And it requires concentration on that round that it takes to charge. :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 02:57 PM
I'm not worried about the Adept being able to use True Strike as a bonus action, even for Rogues. I playtested it the other day in a one shot that was made up of all rogues. The Adept was playing an Assassin and had the following stats.

STR: 8

DEX: 16

CON: 14

INT: 10

WIS: 14

CHA: 13

I made sure I wan't making monsters attack the Adept any more than I was making them attack everyone else, but with a mere +2 to CON saves and no proficiency bonus, the Adept was failing every other CON save to maintain Concentration on True Strike. I wouldn't be worried about them being able to use this as a bonus action. I wouldn't be worried even if they had put their 14 into CON, making it a 16. Now, yes, the Adept was using his bonus action every round of combat to use True Strike, but there were other things that they could have been doing, like making an offhand attack, for more damage. Using True Strike does give them Sneak Attack on the next round if they can make their CON saves, but it means they're giving up other things.

I will playtest an Adept Fighter with Blade Ward.