PDA

View Full Version : What's in your wallet?

zippy
2007-04-30, 10:00 PM
Up until now, our party has used "party money" to buy the occasional wand of CLW (or CMW or CSW), since the whole party can benefit from the curing. The cleric is tired of reserving one or two spell slots for "just in case" spells like Remove Disease, Restoration, and Water Breathing, so we're about to shop for a few scrolls using "party money".

So... what's a good "First Aid Kit" of scrolls? We're using all the Complete series (except Complete Dragon), PHBII, Spell Compendium. I'm looking for a nice list of healing and utility spells that would help free up clerical spells.

Also... how do you price scrolls from alternate sources, such as Panacea, from PHBII?

Zippy (with no Siggy)

JaronK
2007-04-30, 10:03 PM
Remedy Moderate Wounds is a 2nd level spell from Magic of Faerun I believe. Grants fast healing 2 for 13 rounds if bought as a scroll or wand. Very handy.

JaronK

JackMage666
2007-04-30, 10:04 PM
Caster level * spell level * 25 gp... If I remember correctly.

+Material component cost, if it has one.
+5 gp/XP cost, if it has one
Not sure about focuses, though

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-30, 10:05 PM
Also... how do you price scrolls from alternate sources, such as Panacea, from PHBII?

The fromulka for pricing scrolls is given in the Scribe scroll feat, namely spell level*caster level(assume lowest possible caster level)*25 gp.

zippy
2007-04-30, 10:39 PM
Caster level * spell level * 25 gp...

I guess I knew that there was a formula for it... but why don't all scrolls of 4th level spells cost the same? (excepting XP and Material components).

Zippy

Tellah
2007-04-30, 10:42 PM
You answered your own question, Zippy: XP and material components.

13_CBS
2007-04-30, 10:48 PM
What's in my wallet...

Capital One?

LoopyZebra
2007-04-30, 11:05 PM
Is your party fighting viking raiders, by any chance? :)

Jasdoif
2007-04-30, 11:06 PM
Not sure about focuses, thoughA scroll's cost isn't affected by the price of a focus, because the focus isn't consumed. The same focus can be used for any number of scrolls.

I guess I knew that there was a formula for it... but why don't all scrolls of 4th level spells cost the same? (excepting XP and Material components).Other then XP and material components, there are class differences involved.

For instance, the 4th-level arcane "freedom of movement" spell. It's not available to wizards (or sorcerers), only to bards; and a bard doesn't get fourth-level spells until level 10. That makes the minimum caster level for the spell 10, which is why it's more expensive then scrolls of 4th-level spells from the wizard list (who get their 4th-level spells at level 7).

Zagreen
2007-04-30, 11:08 PM
Also some scrolls from different classes' spell lists have different costs since they require different spell levels. Arcane scrolls of bard-only spells cost more than sorc/wiz spells of the same spell level because bards have to be higher level in order to cast/scribe that spell level.

D'oh! Ninja'd!