PDA

View Full Version : BAM, Pow, now you're a Thrall.

Thisguy_
2015-07-13, 01:31 AM
Okay, it's 2:30am here, so give me a bit of leniency when I say this: I think it would be HILARIOUS to play a GOOlock that drops out of nowhere, knocks people out, and enthralls them. I wanna see what you guys can do to make the dream happen: the idea's to get a Warlock who can, by use of either a spell that most DMs would approve of using non-lethally or by simply hitting someone with a hell of a melee weapon attack, sneak up on someone (Invisibility and Stealth skill would be nice to have), bop them on the head (only once if possible), and enslave them.

I look forward to what you come up with. You don't have to go all the way to 20, as long as we can start cheap shotting people into thralls at some point.

coredump
2015-07-13, 02:02 AM
Seems pretty straight forward. Show up, use Sleep/Hold Person/Hypnotic Pattern/etc and then Enthrall away....

MrStabby
2015-07-13, 03:34 AM
Seems pretty straight forward. Show up, use Sleep/Hold Person/Hypnotic Pattern/etc and then Enthrall away....

Or just wait till they are asleep anyway - possibly spider-climbing in through their window...

Kryx
2015-07-13, 04:01 AM
The Charmed condition has little effect in combat. It is mainly useful for out of combat.

A charmed creature can't attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful abilities or magical effects.
The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature.

It basically makes them unable to attack you, but not your allies. Nice, but not game breaking.

Daishain
2015-07-13, 06:22 AM
What Kryx said, enslaving is absolutely not the right word to use. Also, you can only have one "thrall" at a time.

What really screws up your idea is that anyone you bitchslap into submission to become a thrall is probably going to hate your guts, and the ability doesn't change the persuasion penalties that would come along with that. Just gives you advantage on a near zero chance of talking them into anything.

True, the ability prevents them from attacking you. But even if you don't have allies to attack that doesn't stop them from, say, getting you arrested, or hiring a dozen assassins to jump you.

Frankly, the ability is one hell of a disappointment for a level 14 subclass capstone. A long term duplication of a highly situational level 1 spell? (that is actually less convenient to use than the spell in most cases)

KorvinStarmast
2015-07-13, 07:47 AM
What Kryx said, enslaving is absolutely not the right word to use. Also, you can only have one "thrall" at a time.

What really screws up your idea is that anyone you bitchslap into submission to become a thrall is probably going to hate your guts, and the ability doesn't change the persuasion penalties that would come along with that. Just gives you advantage on a near zero chance of talking them into anything.

True, the ability prevents them from attacking you. But even if you don't have allies to attack that doesn't stop them from, say, getting you arrested, or hiring a dozen assassins to jump you.

Frankly, the ability is one hell of a disappointment for a level 14 subclass capstone. A long term duplication of a highly situational level 1 spell? (that is actually less convenient to use than the spell in most cases)
Charm Person isn't what it used to be.

ryan92084
2015-07-13, 08:29 AM
It's more of a bam, pow, now we are sort of buddies.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-13, 10:51 AM
Easy (in this world possibly...) get rich!

1) Hit the road for adventure as any class. Preferably a bard or someone with high charisma (any class really)

2) surround yourself with capable adventurers who are likely to befriend you and admire you.

3) Make use of your charismatic talents, spreading word of your deeds. Emphasize your role in everything, exaggerate at the edge of possibility.

4) reach level 10+, having amassed a level of wealth in items and coin. Possibly a legendary or artifact-type item or two in the process.

5) begin working to acquiring a kingdom. Either bit by bit or all at once. Your choice. Things such as expanding a small town/city with cunning political and business maneuvers...or more directly, raising a force and taking one; then convincing the populace that the ruler was not in any way suitable to tending to their real needs/neglecting them.

6) Do not slay everyone, only those who must die and possibly those with the likeliness of contending your rule. If not, keep an eye on them. Exile them if you must.

7) Make sure your adventuring companions have power of their own so that they stay useful to you. Keep them as your personal adventuring party while you rule, or help them acquire their own towns/kingdoms.

Optional: Kill off any that do not support you, are lawful, 'too' good aligned, or too powerful.

8) Now you have the power, manpower, money, and resources to make anyone yours. Those who will not can be systematically annihilated.

The power of Charisma and intelligence. Other people do the heavy lifting, you sit back and collect while they admire you.

Thisguy_
2015-07-13, 01:28 PM
Wow, the charm certainly works differently than my 2am brain thought it did. It would have been funny, even if you could only enslave one person in that way, but oh well.

To the hypno/sleep people: Not really bopping people on the head, is it?

EDIT: As to showing any measure of intelligence, that sounds totally against character for this build, doesn't it? Not that this could be a build now, considering the way the ability works.

coredump
2015-07-13, 02:14 PM
Wow, the charm certainly works differently than my 2am brain thought it did. It would have been funny, even if you could only enslave one person in that way, but oh well.

To the hypno/sleep people: Not really bopping people on the head, is it?

Most DMs I know allow Charm Person to do a bit more. At least to put them in a favorable disposition to you. (unless they started hostile)

As for hypno, why take all the time to 'bop' them down to 0 hp, when a simple spell does all the work for you. And they are all Warlock spells.

Thisguy_
2015-07-13, 02:22 PM
...why take all the time to 'bop' them down to 0 hp, when a simple spell does all the work for you. And they are all Warlock spells.

Because it's funny. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny)

EDIT: Also, the point is to onehit them physically, or at least give them a good smacking, with a blunt object (spells would be stretching it, admittedly). I was thinking maybe the build would have a bladelock, except his blade would be a ball. Of metal. Bonk!

Ralanr
2015-07-13, 03:17 PM
Because it's funny. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny)

EDIT: Also, the point is to onehit them physically, or at least give them a good smacking, with a blunt object (spells would be stretching it, admittedly). I was thinking maybe the build would have a bladelock, except his blade would be a ball. Of metal. Bonk!

I thought as much.

Rogue. 6 levels. Sneak attack on high level opponents at low health.