PDA

View Full Version : Just clear this up for me (D&D related rules query.) SPOILER! (there, quityer whinin'

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-30, 10:32 PM
Ok, so an inflict wounds spell heals xykon, does that mean a cure wounds spell hurts him undr D&D rules?

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-30, 10:32 PM
Ok, so an inflict wounds spell heals xykon, does that mean a cure wounds spell hurts him undr D&D rules?

Yes.

Positive energy hurts undead. Negative energy heals undead.

This also works for a paladin's lay-on-hands move. More than one lich has had his career ended by having his face grabbed and his head blown off by a paladin with a high charisma.

SandroTheMaster
2007-04-30, 10:54 PM
Xykon could use an Enervate as well for temporary hits.

Also, many more were the oh-so-righteous paladins that met their doom at a finger of death or paralysing touch made by a lich after being soften by a few energy drains or even enervations. To soon after being raised as a new member of a growing army.

Why Xykon doesn't walk around with potions of inflict critical wound or even harm around himself? The prestige class "Expert Alquemist" (or whatever the name) can make those.

ringsnake
2007-04-30, 11:02 PM
Why Xykon doesn't walk around with potions of inflict critical wound or even harm around himself? The prestige class "Expert Alquemist" (or whatever the name) can make those.

Uh, he's a skeleton!

I think all he'd get out of a potion is an embarrassing stain on his robe.

Snake-Aes
2007-04-30, 11:05 PM
Since there's no rule as to overall restriction on potion usage(mostly they just need to be drank), I do think skeletons can use potions okay :) Except for the added stains.

Setra
2007-04-30, 11:07 PM
Since there's no rule as to overall restriction on potion usage(mostly they just need to be drank), I do think skeletons can use potions okay :) Except for the added stains.
Xykon might be too arrogant to stain his robes.

Snake-Aes
2007-04-30, 11:15 PM
Maybe, he seems to care about looking really badass after all.

Jawajoey
2007-04-30, 11:20 PM
What's the difference between asking why Xykon doesn't carry around inflict critical wound poisons and asking why Redcloak doesn't carry around heal critical wounds potions?

They should, but don't, or at least don't appear to. They're NPC's. Nobody likes fighting enemies that heal themselves. (Maybe that's why everyone hates Miko...)

Nightmarenny
2007-04-30, 11:46 PM
What's the difference between asking why Xykon doesn't carry around inflict critical wound poisons and asking why Redcloak doesn't carry around heal critical wounds potions?

They should, but don't, or at least don't appear to. They're NPC's. Nobody likes fighting enemies that heal themselves. (Maybe that's why everyone hates Miko...)
Really? I could swear it was the whole "killed a defensive old man" thing. :smallamused:

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-30, 11:57 PM
They were hating Miko long before that.

Back on topic: I didn't mean to suggest that Xykon was going to be defeated by anything as simple as a lay on hands. I think if anything, he'll use ghostform and get spanked by an incorporeal Roy + Eugene.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-05-02, 12:41 AM
I wonder if a healing potion, thrown on hum, would act like acid then.

Gaelbert
2007-05-02, 12:44 AM

I don't think acid, but it would hurt.

BobTheDog
2007-05-02, 12:53 AM

Unless it was aimed at his mouth (and hit) I think it would just result in a stained-robe-pissed-off Lich.

Holy Water, now, that would zap him. For 2d4 hits only... :smallconfused:

Demented
2007-05-02, 01:09 AM
It's possible characters carry potions... But so far, only a few have been shown to. Roy apparently carried one (and only one!?), though we never saw it.

Belkar carried them, but after Haley stole one, it's debatable whether he continues to do so...

Miko, likewise, carried lots of healing potions. Then again, she constantly goes on solo adventures, so she needs 'em.

I don't remember anyone else....

(It's my general opinion in RPGs that characters should always carry lots and lots of potions. It just seems common sense, for characers whose "job" takes them into enemy fire.)

Finwe
2007-05-02, 01:50 AM
Actually, if the paladins are smart enough to use lay on hands instead of melee attacks on Xykon, they stand a really good chance of doing some very significant damage to him, perhaps enough to outright destroy his skeletal form.

TerraNova
2007-05-02, 06:26 AM
Not every potion needs to be a liquid in a bottle. It generally can be any item (AFAIK) that can be broken / consumed in some fashion, and has a similar size and durability.

An elven mage i once played with used somethin akin to "prayer strips", which he'd place on some person / object to trigger the effect.

Snake-Aes
2007-05-02, 07:19 AM
They're consumable just like potions, but they're not potions.
(From d20 SRD)
A potion is a magic liquid that produces its effect when imbibed. Magic oils are similar to potions, except that oils are applied externally rather than imbibed. A potion or oil can be used only once. It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute.

Copacetic
2007-05-02, 07:43 AM
They're consumable just like potions, but they're not potions.
(From d20 SRD)
A potion is a magic liquid that produces its effect when imbibed. Magic oils are similar to potions, except that oils are applied externally rather than imbibed. A potion or oil can be used only once. It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute.

So does that mean we could get a magic missle potion?

EvilElitest
2007-05-02, 08:22 AM
Quite franky, a skeloton drinking a potion would make no sense

A potion is surrpose to have some sort of effect on your anotomy, so a cure potion is regenerating your wounds, while a harm potion is tearing them apart

So how would it effect Xykon?
from,
EE

jindra34
2007-05-02, 08:26 AM

Yes but potions affect the drinker so who in their right mind would make one...?

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-02, 01:48 PM
Yes but potions affect the drinker so who in their right mind would make one...?

A very mean prankster.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-05-02, 03:12 PM

Hmm, how about a potion that when drank allows the drinker to spit a magic missile?

BTW, are there rules for spitting in D&D?

Demented
2007-05-02, 03:16 PM
Nope. Why should there be? There aren't any rules for excreting waste either.

Sethis
2007-05-02, 03:19 PM
Sounds like a ranged touch attack to me. Most other spitting things are.

BobTheDog
2007-05-02, 03:22 PM
Hmm, how about a potion that when drank allows the drinker to spit a magic missile?

BTW, are there rules for spitting in D&D?

I'd say you make a ranged touch attack, but that's my view, not necessarily RAW.

And, unless there's a obscure Prestige Class that can brew "castable" potions, a Magic Missile Potion would be indeed a prank-only item.

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-02, 06:44 PM
For those monsters that spit poison, acid, and the like, it's nearly always a ranged touch attack.

Waspinator
2007-05-02, 07:46 PM
The biggest question I have about the magic missile potion would be, given the fact that it affects the drinker, where would the missile come from?

Demented
2007-05-02, 07:52 PM
You get three little force missiles in your stomach. Not comfortable.

Alysar
2007-05-02, 08:05 PM
Yes.

Positive energy hurts undead. Negative energy heals undead.

This also works for a paladin's lay-on-hands move. More than one lich has had his career ended by having his face grabbed and his head blown off by a paladin with a high charisma.

Sooo... Miko wouldn't have been able to do that when she met Xykon?

blackout
2007-05-02, 08:08 PM
*stomach explodes after drinking Magic Missle Potion*DARNIT, PHIL!

And I think Miko was too busy going 'slashslashslash' on Xykon to care.

jindra34
2007-05-02, 08:10 PM

And I think Miko was too busy going 'slashslashslash' on Xykon to care.

Didn't Miko also fight Redcloak not Xykon...

Demented
2007-05-02, 08:24 PM
And Lay on Hands on Redcloak would only be beneficial for Team Evil.

jindra34
2007-05-02, 08:27 PM
And Lay on Hands on Redcloak would only be beneficial for Team Evil.

Thus why a mixed team has benifits...

Construct
2007-05-02, 08:47 PM

Complete Arcane I believe has a potion that lets one breath fireballs. On the downside it *does* tend to cause heartburn =P :belkar:

CA also offers alternative forms for a potion to take, such a little ceramic tiles that are broken to activate the effect, which would make more sense for Xykon to carry. :xykon:

jindra34
2007-05-02, 08:50 PM
Complete Arcane I believe has a potion that lets one breath fireballs. On the downside it *does* tend to cause heartburn =P :belkar:

CA also offers alternative forms for a potion to take, such a little ceramic tiles that are broken to activate the effect, which would make more sense for Xykon to carry. :xykon:

In DMG there is a potion that allows one to breathe fire for a few rounds... is that what you were thinking of?