PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder equipping my magus

Raezeman
2015-07-13, 06:28 AM
Greetings,

I'll be playing a magus soon, starting at lv 5. I already have it's build ready, but i could use some advice on it's gear.

It's a budget of 9000. One item not exceeding 4000 (rougly). current thoughts:
Masterwork Scimitar (315)
+1 chain shirt (1250)
belt of constitution +2 (4000)
cloak of resistance +1 (1000)
ring of protection +1 (2000)
miscellaneous (80)

Which together amounts to 8645, giving me some pocket money.
What do you think, got any better suggestions for gear? please let me know.

The reason for the constitution item is that i'll be a elf and a magus is a little squishy at lower level, so i can use the extra con. I'll be casting bull's strength in battle anyway, but i'm not sure about the lack of a intelligence item.

Please, all suggestions welcome.

TheOneHawk
2015-07-13, 07:03 AM
I don't think the belt of constitution and learning Bulls Strength are worth it. +2 con isn't going to make you that much less squishy, just learn and cast mirror image on yourself for defense. Use that money to gish harder.

Raezeman
2015-07-13, 07:25 AM
I don't think the belt of constitution and learning Bulls Strength are worth it. +2 con isn't going to make you that much less squishy, just learn and cast mirror image on yourself for defense. Use that money to gish harder.

i can see the 'no belt of constitution', but why the 'no bulls strength casting?' i would say that's gish right there...
mirror image is indeed on my spell list

stack
2015-07-13, 07:30 AM
Get +1 on the scimitar so you can use your spell pool more efficiently, either adding keen and elemental damage, or just conserving point by not fully enchanting for minor fights. Beats having to spend 2 sp every time you want keen, though it should be a permanent addition once you have the money in a level or so.

Or take crafting feats and get even more items.

An ioun torch for 75 GP is good if you don't have darkvision. I would get a strength item and save the spell slots, mirror image, web, and glitterdust are better than bull's strength.

Kurald Galain
2015-07-13, 08:03 AM
Getting a +1 weapon instead of MW makes your arcane pool feature more effective.

I'd recommend a +str item over the con belt; just take an extra HP each level and you should have plenty. Then instead of casting bull's strength, cast a defensive buff like Mirror Image.

Don't forget to carry a bunch of scrolls, e.g. Obscuring Mist to obstruct enemy archers!

Geddy2112
2015-07-13, 08:56 AM
lv 5
Masterwork Scimitar
bull's strength

You are dervish dancing....right? That should be your 3rd level feat, no questions asked. Since you are going to be using dex to damage with your scimitar with dervish dance, no need for bull's strength. If anything, cats grace will buff damage AND ac, thanks to dervish. However, I agree its not a super critical spell compared to some of the other stuff on your list. Eventually your belt of dex will replace the need for it. Also, so long as your con is at least 10 you should be okay, you don't have a negative con mod, right? Since you also don't need strength for damage/to hit, you can dump it giving you more points to buff con, or make it your crap roll if you rolled. Since you can also dump charisma, this should be enough to have a good con, dex, and intelligence and okay wis. What are your ability scores?

Get +1 on the scimitar so you can use your spell pool more efficiently, either adding keen and elemental damage, or just conserving point by not fully enchanting for minor fights. Beats having to spend 2 sp every time you want keen, though it should be a permanent addition once you have the money in a level or so.
mirror image

Getting a +1 weapon instead of MW makes your arcane pool feature more effective.
Mirror Image.

Second both a +1 enhancement on the sword and mirror image.

Raezeman
2015-07-13, 09:14 AM
You are dervish dancing....right? That should be your 3rd level feat, no questions asked. Since you are going to be using dex to damage with your scimitar with dervish dance, no need for bull's strength. If anything, cats grace will buff damage AND ac, thanks to dervish. However, I agree its not a super critical spell compared to some of the other stuff on your list. Eventually your belt of dex will replace the need for it. Also, so long as your con is at least 10 you should be okay, you don't have a negative con mod, right? Since you also don't need strength for damage/to hit, you can dump it giving you more points to buff con, or make it your crap roll if you rolled. Since you can also dump charisma, this should be enough to have a good con, dex, and intelligence and okay wis. What are your ability scores?

I'm not dervish dancing, i'm going strength magus.
My stats are
STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 18
WIS 10
CHA 8

with strenght having received the +1 from level 4. the character is an elf by the way. And the favored class bonus is to hit points every level.

Second both a +1 enhancement on the sword and mirror image.
at the moment i have indeed dumped the +con item for enhancement on the scimitar. And mirror image has always been on my spell list.

stack
2015-07-13, 09:32 AM
Rolled stats or PB? All even, so I presume 28 PB. Too much intelligence. Are you going elf for RP reasons? They make better dex than str magi, obviously. I would drop INT to 16 and buff your dex a bit, since AC will be an issue (less so with mirror image, but still).

I would go:
STR 16 (10 PB)
DEX 16 (5 PB)
CON 14 (10 PB)
INT 16 (5 PB)
WIS 10 (0 PB)
CHA 8 (-2 PB)

Better AC and initiative, only a minor hit on spell pool and save DCs. You are in melee, you need it. A straight class magus is better saving spell pool for weapon enchants and spell recall than burning it on arcana that add +int to one roll. I normally would leave Dex at 14 for a strength magus, but since you are an elf you may as well make use of the buff.

Edit - missed that you already had the +1 from level on strength and that stats are fixed.

Raezeman
2015-07-13, 09:52 AM
Edit - missed that you already had the +1 from level on strength and that stats are fixed.

Alright, i made some mistakes myself, let's get this correct. The Con should have been 2 lower. The stat's are 20 point buy, and at the moment i have it like this (AFTER elf racial adjustment and +1 str for level 4)

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 10
CHA 8

I'm not realy eager to put more in DEX since i'll be going full plate EVENTUALLY. INT seems to be most important, but now i think of it, i'll pick few spells that require ennemy saves... Then again, with the +2 INT from elf, i can get a great int score for not that much points spend... But also, i'll have about 36 hit points, which isn't much for a melee character. I do have the shield and mirror image spells, but still... So maybe the CON item after all?

Geddy2112
2015-07-13, 10:09 AM
Alright, i made some mistakes myself, let's get this correct. The Con should have been 2 lower. The stat's are 20 point buy, and at the moment i have it like this (AFTER elf racial adjustment and +1 str for level 4)

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 12
INT 18
WIS 10
CHA 8

I'm not realy eager to put more in DEX since i'll be going full plate EVENTUALLY. INT seems to be most important, but now i think of it, i'll pick few spells that require ennemy saves... Then again, with the +2 INT from elf, i can get a great int score for not that much points spend... But also, i'll have about 36 hit points, which isn't much for a melee character. I do have the shield and mirror image spells, but still... So maybe the CON item after all?

Your stats are fine. Intelligence is important for bonus spells of higher levels and having lots of juice in your arcane pool. With mirror image and shield you should be fine, although if you are super paranoid you can take the spell shield arcana. The magus is always a bit of a glass cannon, just the nature of the beast. Neutralize the threat quicker than it can neutralize you.

Raezeman
2015-07-13, 10:21 AM
Your stats are fine. Intelligence is important for bonus spells of higher levels and having lots of juice in your arcane pool. With mirror image and shield you should be fine, although if you are super paranoid you can take the spell shield arcana. The magus is always a bit of a glass cannon, just the nature of the beast. Neutralize the threat quicker than it can neutralize you.

coolio! so back to my original question: how about them items? I'm just going to go more general: anything specific a magus could not do without?

stack
2015-07-13, 10:34 AM
I think there are some gloves that help your arcane pool, but not in your price range for a few levels. Pearls of power are cheap and conserve your points on long adventuring days.

Geddy2112
2015-07-13, 11:00 AM
Dropping the belt for a +1 enhancement to your blade and an amulet of natural armor. Should be set after that.