PDA

View Full Version : Which of these builds would be best?

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:01 AM
Hello playground. :)

Here are 3 mc options I have had in mind lately but not sure which to go for while leveling up. :)

6 v paladin, 14 lore bard
8 v paladin, 12 lore bard
6 v paladin, 2 fighter, 12 lore bard.

First gets best spell casting abilities and lacks 1 feat/ASI
2nd gets bit worse spell progression but normal amount of feats.
3rd gets 1 small heal, action surge and one extra weapon style.

Not sure which to go for, any thoughts welcome. :)

MrUberGr
2015-07-13, 09:05 AM
The heal is really negligible. 1d10+2. Might save your life (or not) :P

How many feats does the 6/14? 5 is normal, but you can live with 4. Normally, you can get one or two Ability scores to 20 and get 1 feat.

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:09 AM
6/14 is 4 feats and with the stats I got rolled I will probably just pick one as ASI. :)

JellyPooga
2015-07-13, 09:15 AM
What Oath, as Paladin, were you thinking of? If you were thinking of Oath of Ancients, then you definitely want to get 7 levels Paladin for the Aura of Warding, otherwise I'd stick at 6.

As awesome as a Fighter dip might be, I wouldn't bother; it takes away from your spellcasting and slows your progression towards the higher level abilities of both Paladin and Bard.

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:18 AM
What Oath, as Paladin, were you thinking of? If you were thinking of Oath of Ancients, then you definitely want to get 7 levels Paladin for the Aura of Warding, otherwise I'd stick at 6.

As awesome as a Fighter dip might be, I wouldn't bother; it takes away from your spellcasting and slows your progression towards the higher level abilities of both Paladin and Bard.

Sorry put "v paladin" as in vengence, and yeah the 6 / 14 for maximum casting feels the most appealing to me too but wanted to hear what others thought first. :)

EvilAnagram
2015-07-13, 09:18 AM
I would go with the Fighter option because Action Surge is a very powerful nova ability.

Millface
2015-07-13, 09:22 AM
Hello playground. :)

Here are 3 mc options I have had in mind lately but not sure which to go for while leveling up. :)

6 v paladin, 14 lore bard
8 v paladin, 12 lore bard
6 v paladin, 2 fighter, 12 lore bard.

First gets best spell casting abilities and lacks 1 feat/ASI
2nd gets bit worse spell progression but normal amount of feats.
3rd gets 1 small heal, action surge and one extra weapon style.

Not sure which to go for, any thoughts welcome. :)

The way feats run right now I'd take build two. An extra ASI or Feat is going to be more useful than a once per day Action surge. The two extra levels of Paladin give you a bigger boost to your Lay on Hands for healing than indomitable is going to give you. You cap at 6th level bard spells, but you can up-cast to 8th level slots at least.

To really answer the question though I'd love to know what fighting style you are picking, I'm assuming you're melee? Sword and Board or great weapon?

The difference between build one and two are going to depend entirely upon those two questions. It really depends on how many feats the build wants.

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:23 AM
He will be a chaotic good outlander mtn dwarf with a short temper that stops at
nothing to root out evil. Atm I am DM but my adventure will end at level 6 where another
will take over DM so he is lvl 6 vengence paladin now and decided that 14 straight levels of bard
probably will be the most rewarding path. :) 4 expertise, 1 skill when going bard 3 extra skills when reaching
lvl 3 lore bard + tons of spells and quicker spell progression then normal paladin seems tasty. :)

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:24 AM
The way feats run right now I'd take build two. An extra ASI or Feat is going to be more useful than a once per day Action surge. The two extra levels of Paladin give you a bigger boost to your Lay on Hands for healing than indomitable is going to give you. You cap at 6th level bard spells, but you can up-cast to 8th level slots at least.

To really answer the question though I'd love to know what fighting style you are picking, I'm assuming you're melee? Sword and Board or great weapon?

The difference between build one and two are going to depend entirely upon those two questions. It really depends on how many feats the build wants.

He will be using great weapon fighting style and a 2H maul to crush the baddies to paste(not optimal weapon but goes with the feel of the character).

JellyPooga
2015-07-13, 09:25 AM
One advantage of Paladin 6/ Bard 14 is cap-stoning with Magical Secrets and Peerless Skill (assuming you're taking all your Paladin levels before finishing out on Bard). That, at least, is something to look forward to more than capping on an ASI/Feat!

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:27 AM
One advantage of Paladin 6/ Bard 14 is cap-stoning with Magical Secrets and Peerless Skill (assuming you're taking all your Paladin levels before finishing out on Bard). That, at least, is something to look forward to more than capping on an ASI/Feat!

Yep and 3 feats and 1 ASI will be enough for the character I think, and ability to cast 1 spell per long rest with lvl 9 spell slot is nice too. :)

Millface
2015-07-13, 09:29 AM
Yep and 3 feats and 1 ASI will be enough for the character I think, and ability to cast 1 spell per long rest with lvl 9 spell slot is nice too. :)

If you rolled the right stats to have at least 18 CHA and 18 STR with only one ASI toward stats then I would agree.

What feats are you thinking? GWM obviously, but for your other two?

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:34 AM
If you rolled the right stats to have at least 18 CHA and 18 STR with only one ASI toward stats then I would agree.

What feats are you thinking? GWM obviously, but for your other two?

Lets just say I rolled two 18īs and 1 17 so yes 1 ASI is enough. Resilient(Con), GWM and maybe the feat that gives you +2 hp per level
to give him a ****ton of hp.

Millface
2015-07-13, 09:38 AM
Lets just say I rolled two 18īs and 1 17 so yes 1 ASI is enough. Resilient(Con), GWM and maybe the feat that gives you +2 hp per level
to give him a ****ton of hp.

Lucky and Alert are two hideously overpowered feats that are often overlooked as well :-)

I roll low and my DM's eyes light up as he finally hits me with a hold/dominate/something else interesting and seeing the joy drain from his face as I say "I use Lucky" is just priceless.

Spacehamster
2015-07-13, 09:42 AM
Lucky and Alert are two hideously overpowered feats that are often overlooked as well :-)

I roll low and my DM's eyes light up as he finally hits me with a hold/dominate/something else interesting and seeing the joy drain from his face as I say "I use Lucky" is just priceless.

Haha yeah those are really nice but feel resilient and thoughness fits a grumpy vengeance paladin dwarf better. ^^