PDA

View Full Version : Monk/druid, full caster help

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-13, 09:48 AM
I'm now playing a monk 14 druid 1. I often use my druid spells creative and I like spells as longstrider and entangle (I've got 16 wisdom).
So you understand I use my spell slots very quickly and I really like the experience.

The problem is I almost never play a full caster, and if I do that I don't enjoy it that much.

If I have few options, I try to use them as good as possbile, but if I have as lv. 15 druid with wisdom of 20 twenty spells, I just try to blast or regular option it.

So, can someone help me with enjoying a full caster, as much as I enjoy a martial class.

Thisguy_
2015-07-13, 02:29 PM
Wizards are the easiest to use full caster when your desire is to break the game (outside of combat), as is well attested here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422803-Why-do-people-think-spellcasters-break-the-game-at-higher-levels). You can be very creative with spells, to, in fact, a greater degree than you can with martial abilities. Why deal with your own demons, when you could summon angels to do it for you?

You don't need a tinderbox to light fires. In fact, when collateral damage means nothing to you, fire bolt the ground near an enemy instead of them to add a DoT effect/control: a fire.

Use a Simulacrum to confuse and split your enemies' power down the middle.

Wish is blatantly cheating reality!

Even lower level spells like Polymorph, Fly, and Silent Image do an excellent job of providing creative situational solutions.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-13, 02:46 PM
I'm now playing a monk 14 druid 1. I often use my druid spells creative and I like spells as longstrider and entangle (I've got 16 wisdom).
So you understand I use my spell slots very quickly and I really like the experience.

The problem is I almost never play a full caster, and if I do that I don't enjoy it that much.

If I have few options, I try to use them as good as possbile, but if I have as lv. 15 druid with wisdom of 20 twenty spells, I just try to blast or regular option it.

So, can someone help me with enjoying a full caster, as much as I enjoy a martial class.

First, resource management is important unless you play a Warlock. Second, you need to learn how to adept to new situations except just making an ability check or an attack roll.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-13, 04:37 PM
First, you have to think of why you enjoy martial classes. If it's the damage potential, and you're not willing to give that up, the casters you'd enjoy the most are Warlocks and Sorcerers, maybe a Moon Druid. They can dish out regular damage with their cantrips and/or bear form, and they still have spells that allow for more creative play.

Wizards, Clerics, Land Druids, and Bards tend to excel when you're not focusing on pure damage. A Bard can effectively inflict nasty debuffs on enemies and change the course of a battle using enchantments and illusions, but they won't be dealing out the same kind of damage as a Warlock. If you want to go with these classes, pick spells that offer powerful benefits when creatively used. Minor Illusion, for example, is as abusable as your imagination is conniving.

eleazzaar
2015-07-13, 08:09 PM

1) What version have you tried playing full casters in? A wizard or cleric in 5e is much more streamlined and less about bookkeeping than they were in 3.5.

2) It sounds like you get overwhelmed with all the options in a full caster class-- which is understandable. I'd try two things:

a) Take the time to learn your spells, and write/type them down in some easy to use format, so you can quickly browse through your options, and mark off what you've used.

b) Don't go straight from a martial to full caster. Try a half-caster first -- or a multiclass with some full caster levels. Maybe you'll get used to it and next time want to try a full caster, or maybe a full caster just isn't your style.

Nifft
2015-07-14, 01:11 AM
(...)
So, can someone help me with enjoying a full caster, as much as I enjoy a martial class. Druids are great.

You already know some stuff about being a Druid.

Druids have some fun melee options via Wild Shape, so you've got something to do in combat if your spell selection seems inapplicable. This means you can experiment with your spell selection without too much fear.

My suggestion: make a full Druid next time you have a chance to start at low levels, and play a straight-up Druid all the way.

After you've done that, you'll know a lot about spellcasting, and what all the different kinds of spell options mean, so you'll be able to make an educated decision about what you want to do in the next campaign after that.