PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying 3.5 How much area does a very large item cover?

kstout6
2015-07-13, 12:27 PM
Well, I have been playing a half-ogre/orc Thrower/Hulking hurler for about 4 years now. When I first started with him, we were playing 3.0, so I had given him monkey grip and a huge sized two handed sledge hammer (base damage 1d12, blunt, x3, Melee, weight 20 lbs.) My question is, how much does it how much does it weigh being Huge? How much would it weigh being Gargantuan? I don't think doubling the weight makes sense, because a colassal 2 hnd sledgehammer would only weigh a measily 320 lbs. A dragon's balls would smash the weapon if it tried to hit it. I would suggest that ever category size up, it goes up exponentially. 4x 16x, 32x, 64x, but even then, it isn't enough. When Great Wyrm Red Dragons weigh several tons to several hundred tons. I was thinking of doing an equation on factoring weight to size changes. Item original weightx1.15(s)1+size category. Does anybody have any suggestions or a better weight modifier?

The reason for this is that I got the idea from the movie Thor to lay my huge size warhammer on a foe to pin him. Since the weapon is a Huge large weapon, a medium size creature of less than godly strength should not be able to move it quickly, or even crush him. Since no one could agree on what the weight was on the hammer, we just agreed on 1d6 subdual. I am just saying that a Storm giant weighs 8 tons. If the average human D&D male is 180 lbs, shouldn't the hammer weigh about 1860 lbs?

erikun
2015-07-13, 03:18 PM
In general, each size category of a creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) will double its height, quadruple its standing base, and multiply its weight by 8. A creature's equipment will similarly be affected, in order to scale properly with the creature. In other words, a medium-sized greatsword is generally 6 feet tall (matching the size of the weilder) while a huge-sized greatsword, which is two size categories larger, would be 24 feet tall.

Sledgehammers tend to be 3 feet/1 meter long, according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledgehammer), which means your huge-sized two handed sledge is going to have a 12 foot/4 meter handle, and would weight 128 pounds in total. Hope you have a good, think shaft on that thing.

A colossal-sized sledge would be around 50 feet/12 meters long and weigh 4 tons.

goto124
2015-07-13, 07:33 PM
Hope you have a good, thick shaft on that thing.
That's what she said...