PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Beast Master for AL

critter3of4
2015-07-13, 12:29 PM
So, I'm creating a stout halfling ranger for AL with plans to take the Beast Master Archetype at 3rd. I know it's the weakest out of all the class choices. I'm determined to make it work...well...work as well as possible.

Your feedback would be appreciated. Feedback other than "don't pick beast master" that is.

So here's my first attempt:

Boyle
Stout Halfling Ranger, Outlander Background

Str 12 / Dex 16 / Con 14 / int 12 / Wis 14 / Cha 8

Athletics, Survival, animal handling, perception, acrobatics*
*acrobatics is not available RAW, I hope the DM's fine with this

I plan to pick the wolf as an animal companion. The halfling's small size will allow me to use it as a mount.

ruy343
2015-07-13, 01:51 PM
I think that you'll end up enjoying the beast master more than you expect. It's quite powerful at low levels, and it gives you quite a bit of versatility. Some things to think about:

What skill checks can I rely on my companion for? You can pick up other skills to fill in, and be able to cover more bases than most characters that way.
What senses can my animal companion grant me that my race wouldn't? Humans, dragonborn, and halflings have terrible senses, but some companions can fill in that gap.
How can I take advantage of my animal companion's mobility? If your companion can fly or move quickly, you may feel free to wear heavier armor or play a slower race (like halfling). The idea of riding the beast companion as a mount is fine as well, perhaps giving you enhanced mobility.
What kinds of status effects can I count on my companion for? A clever beast master might take wolf because of its ability to knock enemies prone. Another beast master might choose this path because they could have a pet snake, and harvest its venom with their poisoner's kit proficiency (see point 1).
What can the creature's size do for me? Smaller pets make great scouts, often can hide very well, and can fit into areas that you otherwise couldn't. Larger pets (and snakes) often have helpful strength scores, which can be used for grappling with a target, which the grappling creature doesn't have to spend an action to maintain on their turn :smallamused:

Don't feel restrained into thinking that you have to play a halfling that rides their mount. Also, don't feel like you have to choose the character that deal the most damage; there are many, many ways to contribute to a party beyond damage. Feel free to create the character you envision. You'll have fun either way.

Naanomi
2015-07-13, 01:52 PM
Acrobatics is fine, just take survival 'twice' (as a ranger and then get it as background) to pick a skill of choice.

Consider dropping athletics for stealth, Rangers get a lot of stealth support.

Get Mounted Combat at 4, then boost Dex. Look into DM opinion on barding and get some if possible for when you are not on your wolf.

If you ever consider trading the wolf for a more exotic animal check with your GM, AL doesn't offer guidance in finding your pteradon.

Consider carrying a variety of weapons; short bow and net all have great utility; alongside a more conventional rapier; even whip has some use for skirmishing when you move so fast.

Stout for better stats, or Lightfoot to hide behind the pet?

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-13, 02:02 PM
Remember that in the AL you can select a custom background. What that simply means is that you can choose a background, then swap out skills, tools and/or languages.

Might be handy to have "Mount (Land)" for your Outlander.

Also, have you considered Panther? It's AL legal and also has a climb speed.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-13, 02:09 PM
Second on stealth over acrobatics, unless you plan on having to escape a lot of grapples.

I could see Lightfoot doing a "stealth dismount" - slide off the opposite side, then duck into cover from behind your wolf at some point. Not everyone handles the hide-behind feature the same, so going Stout may be simpler.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-13, 04:03 PM
These dudes are all more knowledgeable than I am.

My suggestion...

See if you DM agrees with Mike Mearls.

https://twitter.com/jeffvmahar/status/609931625112182784

A lot of people seem to. Myself included.

also... barding. Don't forget barding. Save up your lunch money.

That, and be decent at both ranged 'and' melee.

take spells that benefit your animal buddy, sure, but don't forget you/the other members of your party.

For barding, see if your DM agrees that the x4 price double weight in the PHB for barding was assuming it was a LARGE mount.

in argument, that would make a medium creature somewhere between that and x2 cost for medium creatures/same weight as a human's full plate/leather/etc.

Also, having a pet attacking things allows you to do clever things/reposition yourself into strategic places.

you also still have a bonus action/reaction that is yours alone/as does your pet.

Easy_Lee
2015-07-13, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't recommend BM for AL because those DMs are notoriously bad. They're specifically told to railroad players and say no to unusual rules interactions. A lot of them don't even know basic rules, such as no size penalties to grappling (5e only has size limits). I have yet to even hear of a good AL session, let alone see or experience one.

If you're set on it, riding your companion is indeed the best way to do it. Take mounted combatant at 4 and consider using a rapier + shield (refluff rapier as a "halfling lance“). If he says you can't find a wolf, tell him he's wrong (survival + animal handling + extremely common animal). If he says you can't tame it, tell him he's wrong (you took the spell Animal Friendship). If he thinks he can attack the wolf while you're riding it, once again tell him he's wrong (mounted combatant free action to redirect the attack). Keep the rules on hand so you can point to them if he thinks he knows better. Keep the mounted rules on hand to show that mounted players can indeed direct their mount without spending an action (doesn't conflict with the BM ability to command beast as an action or bonus action). Put labels in your PHB for quick access to the relevant passages, because you just might have to convince him. Don't take any crap from your AL DM or you will have a bad time.

Assuming you get to later levels, finding a druid to cast Awaken on your companion is always a fun time. If your DM is as bad as the AL DMs I've seen, he'll squirm.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-13, 04:30 PM
I'm running a Beast Master right now, and I'm having a fantastic time.

Important things:
Barding is important. Use it.
If you want to mount your beast, consider your options. The Wolf is solid thanks to Pack Tactics, but the Boar (with its charge), Giant Badger (multiattack), and Giant Poisonous Snake (poison), and Panther (pounce) are all excellent options that make the Ranger's damage potential the equal of other classes at any level. And don't forget that you can fly on a Pterodon.
Hunter's Mark is necessary and fun.
The Errata confirms that your beast gets its own op attack. It also confirms multiattack as viable.

Naanomi
2015-07-13, 04:35 PM
Giant Crabs also make excellent rideable mounts if you lean that direction

The Shadowdove
2015-07-13, 05:25 PM
I'm running a Beast Master right now, and I'm having a fantastic time.

Important things:
Barding is important. Use it.
If you want to mount your beast, consider your options. The Wolf is solid thanks to Pack Tactics, but the Boar (with its charge), Giant Badger (multiattack), and Giant Poisonous Snake (poison), and Panther (pounce) are all excellent options that make the Ranger's damage potential the equal of other classes at any level. And don't forget that you can fly on a Pterodon.
Hunter's Mark is necessary and fun.
The Errata confirms that your beast gets its own op attack. It also confirms multiattack as viable.

great list here.

Also, errata confirms pets regain hit die on rests too if you'd have them.

Gurka
2015-07-13, 08:47 PM
... Giant Badger (multiattack)... The Errata confirms that your beast gets its own op attack. It also confirms multiattack as viable.
[/LIST]

If I'm not mistaken, they did confirm that you may use multi-attack, but only AFTER the pet would be entitled to two conventional attacks, and if you choose multi-attack as your action, then it's your ENTIRE action, forfeiting your second beast attack. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding of their clarifications.

I note that nobody has brought up Giant Wolf Spider as a mount option. Is there a reason that it's not usable for a small Ranger? Weird, I'll grant (unless maybe you're a Goblin), but it has an alright basic attack, solid poison which can then be harvested, 10ft Blindsight, Darkvision, immunity to web-based entanglements (situationally HUGE), Web-sense (neat, and on occasion very useful I bet), and wait for it... Spider Climb!!!

Even if you're not using it as a mount, it seems like it'd be a hell of a companion, to me.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-13, 08:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they did confirm that you may use multi-attack, but only AFTER the pet would be entitled to two conventional attacks, and if you choose multi-attack as your action, then it's your ENTIRE action, forfeiting your second beast attack. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding of their clarifications.

You are correct, though the Ranger also gets to make an attack (and a bonus attack if applicable).

I note that nobody has brought up Giant Wolf Spider as a mount option. Is there a reason that it's not usable for a small Ranger? Weird, I'll grant (unless maybe you're a Goblin), but it has an alright basic attack, solid poison which can then be harvested, 10ft Blindsight, Darkvision, immunity to web-based entanglements (situationally HUGE), Web-sense (neat, and on occasion very useful I bet), and wait for it... Spider Climb!!!

Even if you're not using it as a mount, it seems like it'd be a hell of a companion, to me.

I don't recall the stats for it, but if it's Medium sized then that sounds awesome.

Sigreid
2015-07-13, 09:13 PM
Halfling with a giant wolf spider is the ticket. a mount with webs, ability to run along walls, poison (I think AFB). Combine with shortbow archery and you're one mean mamma jamma.

Gurka
2015-07-13, 09:41 PM
I don't recall the stats for it, but if it's Medium sized then that sounds awesome.

+3 attack for 1D6+1 piercing damage, and DC 11 CON for 2D6 poison damage. Also, it's the poison that auto-stabilizes and parilizes the target if it reduces it's HP to 0 (for 1 hour anyway). It is medium sized, though only STR 12. Also, it has +7 Stealth, so it's a sneaky bastard too!

The other thought I have is the Flying Snake, which is obviously not a mount (it's Tiny), but it has a base +6 to hit for 1 damage (which your Prof adds to), flyby attack, so it's "relatively" safe darting in and out and (here's the kicker!) 3D4 poison damage that's automatic, NO SAVE.

So here's the question: if you can milk it's venom, you've got 3D4 poison for your weapons that ALSO offers no save? Just straight extra damage, it would seem.

Between the poison, the great mobility (fly speed 60), and the fantastic +hit, it is gonna be a champ in terms of round-by-round damage.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-13, 10:36 PM
STR 12 isn't bad. Mastiff only has 13, and it's a mount. So unless you're loading 5 times your character weight (Halfling) in gear, you should be fine.

Personally, I'm eyeing the giant frog.

Sigreid
2015-07-13, 11:03 PM
Something to consider with beastmaster, and I consider this it's real weakness. As you level up, you will likely find yourself fighting more and more enemies with resistance to non-magical damage. This will severely cut into the ability of your beast to contribute to damage. I think this is why it's best to go with pets with utility abilities as opposed to just looking at the combat math from a damage perspective.

Gurka
2015-07-14, 08:10 AM
Something to consider with beastmaster, and I consider this it's real weakness. As you level up, you will likely find yourself fighting more and more enemies with resistance to non-magical damage. This will severely cut into the ability of your beast to contribute to damage. I think this is why it's best to go with pets with utility abilities as opposed to just looking at the combat math from a damage perspective.

You're likely correct on this, though I certainly hope it never ends up being such an issue that non-magical attacks cease to be viable within a given game. In earlier editions they had spells like Magic Fang and such (I think that's what it was called, anyway) that druids and rangers could cast to make their own natural attacks, and those of their companions magic. That would be a viable option here, or simply allow Magic Weapon to be cast on natural weapons. Not ideal, but it would cover up a minor weakness.

Now, I'm AFB at the moment, but I don't recall that the BM entry explicitly states that your Prof Bonus adds to the save DC on any creature poisons or special attacks (knock down, etc). Does anybody know off hand if those saves scale with Prof, or are they static at the 11's and 12's they're listed at? If so they don't scale, then THEY will be a lot less useful against higher level creatures also.