PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Where to go with my Cleric [Pathfinder Only]

thematgreen
2015-07-13, 12:32 PM
Good Morning Everyone! Don't be shy!

I am creating a cleric for my wifes low level campaign. The group is a level 2 Ninja, a level 2 Ranger, and what used to be a tetori monk that didn't fit. I am replacing him with a Cleric Animal/Travel Domains.

Race: Half-Orc
Class: Cleric
Domains: Animal and Travel

Stats Rolled:
14 +2 = 16

Alternate Race Traits: Sacred Tattoo and Shamans Apprentice

Currently I have two feats: Endurance (Granted from Shamans Apprentice) and Extra Channel

Traits: Beast Bond, Eyes of the City

I haven't played him yet and feel that the choices of Traits and that feat just don't show any pizzaz. I like the Handle Animal trait (Beast Bond) since we will mostly be dealing with animals.

I could also go Druid, but I like the idea of a peaceful nature cleric.

Anyway, what I would like is a second...or third...or fourth...or fifth...or sixth...or seventh...or whatever amount opinion on what to do with feats/traits/stat placements and ideas of where to take him, leveling-wise.

Thank you in advance!

Geddy2112
2015-07-13, 01:36 PM
I like your build so far-both domains are great, are you considering any of the subdomains? I know you probably want stock animal to keep speak with animals, but trade is a good swap for travel. Both are great stock. Handle animal is going to be important as a class skill if you are going to talk to them, and +1 perception is never bad. Any ideas on animal companion once you hit 4?

Based on your stats I assume your going to be a frontline brute/tank? They are good, but it is sad you don't have anything to get a positive charisma mod. You could put the +2 here, or swap strength and intelligence. With an 18 con and a d8 you can put your favored class bonus as an extra skill and skate by on 3 points per level. Having the 12 in charisma eliminates the need for extra channeling, which is a pretty meh feat. I assume you are channeling positive energy? Selective channel is a more useful channel feat, but if you want to be more brute take power attack. Not as peaceful, but a 16 in strength and an 18 in con is pretty bash heavy. I would grab medium armor, and probably 2 handed weapon.

Improved initiative is always a good feat, and boon companion is great at 5th level to help pace up the one you get from your domain.

thematgreen
2015-07-13, 03:52 PM
I like your build so far-both domains are great, are you considering any of the subdomains? I know you probably want stock animal to keep speak with animals, but trade is a good swap for travel. Both are great stock. Handle animal is going to be important as a class skill if you are going to talk to them, and +1 perception is never bad. Any ideas on animal companion once you hit 4?

Based on your stats I assume your going to be a frontline brute/tank? They are good, but it is sad you don't have anything to get a positive charisma mod. You could put the +2 here, or swap strength and intelligence. With an 18 con and a d8 you can put your favored class bonus as an extra skill and skate by on 3 points per level. Having the 12 in charisma eliminates the need for extra channeling, which is a pretty meh feat. I assume you are channeling positive energy? Selective channel is a more useful channel feat, but if you want to be more brute take power attack. Not as peaceful, but a 16 in strength and an 18 in con is pretty bash heavy. I would grab medium armor, and probably 2 handed weapon.

Improved initiative is always a good feat, and boon companion is great at 5th level to help pace up the one you get from your domain.

I'd like to stay pure Animal/Travel

Fighting wise, I am going to be on the frontlines to a degree, if I can't Animal Talk my way out of it.

Animal Companion I was considering a Yak or something of that nature. Since my wife is running it and it's not going to be a very difficult campaign (As long as we play smart) I can be a little creative.

I will switch around some stats so I can drop extra channeling and get improved initiative.

Overall he is meant to be a peaceful nature cleric who can step up and fight when needed.

Armor: He is starting with Scale Mail, and a shield and I think a mace? I am trying to hold back a little on maximizing so that I don't overshadow the other two, less expierenced, players.

Geddy2112
2015-07-13, 04:06 PM
I'd like to stay pure Animal/Travel

Fighting wise, I am going to be on the frontlines to a degree, if I can't Animal Talk my way out of it.

Animal Companion I was considering a Yak or something of that nature. Since my wife is running it and it's not going to be a very difficult campaign (As long as we play smart) I can be a little creative.

I will switch around some stats so I can drop extra channeling and get improved initiative.

Overall he is meant to be a peaceful nature cleric who can step up and fight when needed.

Armor: He is starting with Scale Mail, and a shield and I think a mace? I am trying to hold back a little on maximizing so that I don't overshadow the other two, less expierenced, players.

Animal/travel is a solid domain combo. Since your going defensive a shield and medium armor is good, and you can approach protected without your weapon drawn. If you want the newer players to get more of the action, you can buff and heal them and just stay back. A yak is a peaceful but strong animal if provoked, and a pack animal for the travel. If you can go first and move quickly in combat, you can rush up and put yourself in harms way, protecting your friends. Consider getting heavy armor proficiency and maybe even a tower shield. The stat switch is important, your going to want a bonus to charisma if your going to attempt to talk down situations instead of fight it out.

Kurald Galain
2015-07-13, 05:30 PM
Fortune's Favored is a nice trait to go with Sacred Tattoo.

If you want more pizzazz, look into Alternate Channeling. There are some nice options there. Most traits and feats just aren't very flashy.

JDL
2015-07-13, 05:43 PM
Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning are decent feat choices combined with a two-handed weapon to keep one hand free for spellcasting if needed. Spend the first round of battle with your best Summon Monster spell, then wade into melee with your newly summoned creature providing flanking and an extra set of attacks each round. You can even toss out a bless to hit all your allies and yourself as well as your summoned pet.

The biggest advantage with summoning for a cleric is that the spells don't rely on Pathfinder's arbitrarily high saving throw values to work, as well as the fact that your cleric is already focused on using animals, which this strategy gives you a broad selection of options to use. A summoned monster taking hits for you or your allies means less healing needed later, and by casting the spell at the start of battle you double your actions for the rest of the combat, possibly even two or more combats at later levels. You can place it anywhere on the battlefield within range which will allow you to give your ninja ally flanking and therefore sneak attack, which they'll love you for too. Plus the spell line never gets stale, as every two levels you get access to bigger, badder beasties to use.

Just pay attention to the alignment restrictions carefully, as you can't summon creatures with an alignment opposed to your deity. Since you're using mostly animals from your character theme however, it's not too hard to avoid this issue since they come with the celestial or fiendish template applied.

Even if you don't decide the two feats are worth the investment for their return, I'd still strongly suggest considering using this strategy anyhow.

thematgreen
2015-07-13, 05:59 PM
Plans:

Move stats to get Charisma up

Change out: Extra Channel for Spell Focus: Conjuration and get Augment Summoning when I next get a feat.

I was considering getting a tower shield, no weapon, and sitting there buffing/debuffing/Summoning. I want to give the Ranger and Ninja their time to shine in combat.

Geddy2112
2015-07-13, 06:48 PM
Just pay attention to the alignment restrictions carefully, as you can't summon creatures with an alignment opposed to your deity

That reminds me of sacred summons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-summons) which makes your summons come out faster when they match your alignment. If you are going to be a summoning cleric, this is a must.