PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Laughing Dragon. Chapter 1: Fonkin (IC)

Arjen the Red
2015-07-13, 03:05 PM
About the Dragonclaw Barony

The primary terrain of the barony is rolling fields and gentle hills. All the food that the area could need is easily grown in the surrounding country side giving the people a rather comfortable living. The Dragonclaw mountains cut a wide swath through the center of the land. The borders of the barony are primarily composed of natural features: the forests of Norwood, the northern Dragonclaw mountains, and the Sea of Storms to the south.

The Barony was once a small independent kingdom know as Illancrest. Four hundred years ago, armies from the Kingdom of Albion, to the distant north, forcibly annexed the lands to see as the southern base in their perennial wars with the eastern kingdom of Kar'Tergra. Illancrest was renamed "Illancrest Barony" and a new ruler from Albion was given control. Over the years the barony grew more and more independent, the court at Albion began to refer to it as the Dragonclaw Barony and it is hence forth considered a province of Albion.

You have lived all of your life in the Dragonclaw Barony and it is a comfortable home. You truly love living in this area.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-16, 10:59 AM
One comfortable summer evening you find yourselves at the home of a dear friend, Arthen Darenish in your hometown of Dale. The jovial old man has lived in these parts the better part of his life but did spend some time as a young man in Albion.

You are enjoying a fine evening of food and conversation at Arthen's house when suddenly an out of breath town's guard knocks at the door and enters hastily. After catching his breath he gasps out "Fonkin is gone!"

The chatter in Arthen's house comes to an end as all eyes look upon the old man. Fonkin, the town's sage and former advisor to the baron, is a very important man for the town of Dale and his connection with the baron has kept things safe and prosperous. He was expected to meet with the Baron tomorrow to discuss trade issues. The town of Dale was divided on this issue, many feeling that Fonkin was selling out Dale to the whim of Albion. Whispers of kidnapping and even murder surface.

Arthen speaks first as the whispers die down. "Everyone, please calm down. Our good gnomish friend is not necessarily in danger. There is no evidence of foul play so we should assume he left of his own accord." He pauses for a minute deep in thought that continues on. "The garrison cannot send out patrols right now so I will suggest a group of volunteers to search out our gnomish friend."

As much as they all care about the gnome, nobody immediately steps up to volunteer. They all look around and see who is brave enough to set out.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-16, 06:57 PM
Worrin sits forward in his chair as the guard tells his tale. He was a large man, not overly so, but imposing enough in the right circumstances. His true strength, however, was in his intellect. As the guard was informing the room as to Fonkin's mysterious disappearance … Worrin had already decided that he would help.

He leans eagerly in, as if that somehow could draw the story out quicker. He then lets his dear friend Arthen calm the guests and make his plea for volunteers, before clearing his throat and rising from his chair with a goblet of wine.

"Fonkin has given much to the humble village of Dale, my friends." He says. "He does not deserve such rough treatment as this. Kidnapped … or worse.

"If there is indeed something amiss in our fair hamlet, I for one, say that we owe it both to him … and to ourselves to know the truth of it and see him returned whole and hale unto his house. And failing that … to bring those who may be responsible forward to face justice!"

He nods at his host, acknowledging the man's request for aid and raises his goblet in a mighty toast.

"Who's with me?"

Krull
2015-07-16, 07:51 PM
Casdon rose from his chair, unwilling to stand by knowing that someone may be suffering, and lifted his glass to the toast as he nodded to Worrin. He was of average build, his brown hair kept short and practical, and the holy symbol hanging from his neck identifying him as a member of the faith.

"I will join you. If Fonkin truly is in danger, then it is our duty to do what we can to help him, and to set this situation right. He is one of our own, and he has always served the town well. Now, it is time for us to return the favour, and save him from whatever peril he may be in."

YossarianLives
2015-07-16, 08:13 PM
As the guard spoke and the others spoke of valour and a bold rescue, Imilon sat back in chair slowly sipping a goblet of wine. He waits a few seconds after the other two rise and then stands up holding one arm in the air.

"I will also look for Fonkin. The ol' bugger needs our help, and I won't sit idly by."

As Imilon sits down again to finish his wine he mutters "it's time something happened in this town."

Arjen the Red
2015-07-17, 02:54 PM
Arthen stands up. "I knew I could count on the three of you!" he exclaims his eyes beaming with pride. He glances across the room and his smile turns to a stern look. "The rest of you could learn something about bravery from this."

Over the next half hour Arthen's house dwindles to the three of you and a few other close friends. He pulls out a vintage bottle of wine and pours a healthy glass for each of you. "I do appreciate your help in this matter," he says sipping on his own glass. "Get's some rest tonight and you can set off at first light. Hopefully some of the garrison will be able to give you a bit more to go on."

You return to your homes and pack up your gear before laying down for the night. Each of you is restless in your sleep at the prospect of going out on an actual mission such as this. It is a first and although you know each other fairly well from your time in Dale together, you each realize that you will need to know each other even better walking into what could be something quite dangerous.

The morning greets you warm and pleasant. You arrive at Arthen's house just before sunrise and find he has a ample breakfast set at the table. As you eat he shares that some of his aids found footprints that certainly could be Fonkin's heading towards the north. He hands you a crude map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOGDzHnbkbKLzrEZM7H9TLNtb076QOZC85WfnkXcmBs/edit#gid=0) and says your best bet would be the ruins due north or the town of Heatherleigh a bit more to the west. "I wish I could be more specific, but this seems to be the best we can do." He rises and motions you towards the door. "Oh, one more thing," he says walking towards a cabinet in the dining room. "Imilon, I'd like you to have this," he says returning with a globe. "It was my wife's," he says, eyes lowering. Each of you know that she was a mage of local renown who selfishly gave her life protecting the town during a goblin raid some years back. "I hope it comes in use. May nature shine on you each."

Alright, off you go! Let me know your intended direction and marching order. We'll assume that the distance to the ruins is about 30 miles and the town of Heatherleigh about 25.

Krull
2015-07-17, 04:06 PM
Casdon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=278360)

Casdon nodded to Arthen as he headed towards the door. "Thank you for you help, hopefully we will be returning soon, and bringing Fonkin back with us."

Once outside, he stopped to look over the map with his new companions. "It may be for the best that we head to Heatherleigh. With the road, it should be easier to get there than the ruins, and we could ask the people there if they saw anything that might help us with our search."

Ski-Bird
2015-07-17, 05:33 PM
Worrin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=273663)

Worrin nods along with Casdon. "I can see the sense in that." He then turns to Imilon. "Shall we be off then?"

A battered sword is on his hip. A simple device and unadorned, a soldier's weapon. The grip is wrapped with leather and the pommel and cross-guard are simple steel affairs, no designs or etchings. The sword is sheathed in a a battered leather scabbard that has seen better days.

Although his sword is quite utilitarian, his leather armor has been lovingly maintained. It has plainly been recently oiled and polished, and his shield gleams as well. In fact, Worrin's shield is probably the nicest thing he owns. It had been passed through the family for years. It is a steel heater, painted and lacquered. The field is tan in color, and the charge is the green silhouette of an eradicated pine tree.

YossarianLives
2015-07-17, 09:10 PM
Imilon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=273246)
Imilon thanks Arthen for the generous gift and steps out the door. "No sense hanging about. Let us depart for Heatherleigh."

He lifts the hood of distinctive and tattered blue cloak which he wears everywhere and checks his backpack once more. Seeing everything in it's proper place he buckles his chipped shortsword and black leather quiver to his belt.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-18, 09:27 AM
You set off an hour or so after sunrise and follow the road as it winds peacefully along the river. You expect to reach south of the river 6 miles from the town at sunset and debate as to whether you will make camp or forge on from there. The morning is clear and warm as you make your way. Shortly before noon a sun shower passes overhead and you scramble for a light outcropping of trees to keep from getting drenched. The rain continues for some time so you break out your rations and enjoy a comfortable meal under a giant oak. You can't help all feeling invigorated by what you are setting out to do.

The rain soon passes and you continue north along the road passing a few caravans headed from Heatherleigh to Dale. You ask if they have seen anything but they say they were only in Heatherleigh long enough to get their goods and set out again for Dale. You thank them and continue.

By dusk you have made it just as far as you thought you would; about six more hours of walking to get to the town of Heatherleigh. The temperature has dropped significantly once the sun has set and you now discuss your options.

Camp or push on?!

Ski-Bird
2015-07-18, 09:57 AM

Even though he had a lazy streak, Worrin enjoyed being out-of-doors and on the road. He cherished the relative calm of it all.

"We're losing the light, gentlemen." He says, eying the road as the bright day was fading to dusk. This was his favorite time of day, when the sun hung low on the horizon and had that soft golden sheen. It made everything look like the best possible version of itself. But he also knew that it could be dangerous to travel the highways by night … getting lost was among the least of their worries.

"We ought to camp here for the evening."

YossarianLives
2015-07-18, 10:12 AM

"I concur" says Imilon staring down his long nose at the darkening road, a expression of annoyance on his face. "I had hoped to reach Heatherleigh by nightfall but I suppose we must camp out in the bush today. A pity."

Ski-Bird
2015-07-18, 10:15 AM
"Mmm." Worrin says, making a sound of agreement. "We ought to set a watch as well … you never know what types of brigands may be about."

Then Worrin sets about the business of gathering firewood for the evening.

Krull
2015-07-18, 01:18 PM

Casdon set his backpack down on the ground, resting his mace beside it. "Setting a watch seems like a good idea. Do either of you have any preference regarding the order we take? If not, I would be happy to take the first watch, and then wake one of you after a few hours."

YossarianLives
2015-07-18, 06:50 PM

"I'll take the first watch." Says Imilon very eagerly.

Imilon lays his belongings on the ground and sets about trying to start a fire with the wood collected by Worrin.

Krull
2015-07-20, 05:44 AM

Casdon nodded to Imilon as he sat down next to his equipment. "As you wish." He looked over to his other companion as the fire got going. "Worrin, would you prefer to take the second watch, or the third? I would be equally happy with either."

Ski-Bird
2015-07-20, 06:43 AM
Worrin thinks it over for a moment. "I'll take last watch. I'll have breakfast ready for you when you wake."

Then the large man turns in for the night, getting what sleep he could before his shift.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-20, 11:03 PM
Soon a comfortable firing is blazing in front of you. You take your evening meal warming yourselves in front of the flames as, even though the summer days are quite warm, the nights tend to get cold. The sun sets and gives way for a crescent moon that provides a silver light to your camp ground. Your fire burns about 40 feet from the road with full, but not dense pine trees surrounding you on the other three sides. The smell of the forest is comforting and before long Casdon and Worrin are fast asleep.

A few hours before dawn Worrin awakes to take the last watch. He gathers a few more logs for the fire and is preparing to ready breakfast when he hears the unmistakable sound of footsteps. He spins towards the road in the west and sees four short humanoids, no more than 4 foot tall each with bright yellow eyes walking north along the road. Tattered leather armor fits poorly on their frames and meager swords and shields hang from each limb. They look over to the fire and your camp and slowly draw their weapons. "Well, well, what do we have here?" one of them snarls.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-21, 04:57 AM
The sound of approaching footsteps made Worrin jump. Snapping his head toward the sound, his heart begins to leap in his chest when he sees the four little yellow-eyed figures. He hisses out a quick warning to his sleeping camp mates, and gives them a nudge with his boot for good measure.

Then, turning toward the interlopers, he draws his sword and readies his shield. The rasp of the steel is a low sound - grating - as it clears the scabbard. The promise of violence hangs in the air as the two groups square off.

"If you were looking for an easy night's work, friend, I'm afraid you haven't found it." He says to the one who had snarled his introduction.

Krull
2015-07-21, 05:40 AM

Casdon rose from his slumber, grabbing his mace and shield off of the ground as he saw the creatures approaching the camp, walking over to Worrin's side, ready to fight them off if it came to it.

Arjen the Red
2015-07-21, 09:52 AM
The goblin at the lead of the group snarls at the fighter again. "No need for trouble, so long as you pay the tax for camping out in our lands," he adds with a smirk, his sword still held low. "Ten gold and we'll be on our way."

Map of the camp (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOGDzHnbkbKLzrEZM7H9TLNtb076QOZC85WfnkXcmBs/edit#gid=1658097699)

YossarianLives
2015-07-21, 10:11 AM

Hearing the warning by Worrin, Imilon stumbles out of bed cursing, then immediately stops when he sees the sword-wielding goblins. He quickly fumbles for his shortsword on the ground and draws it, the swords chipped blade gleaming in the firelight.

Krull
2015-07-23, 11:59 AM

"Ah..." Casdon looks uncomfortable, glancing over to his companions. "I'm afraid I'm a little... short of money at the moment. I don't suppose you would be able to cover the toll between the two of you...?"

YossarianLives
2015-07-24, 10:05 AM

Imilon slips his hand into his exceptionally light purse an draws out two measly gold pieces. Imilon forces a nervous grin onto his face and addresses the goblins.

"Perhaps he can make a compromise on that toll."

Ski-Bird
2015-07-24, 10:45 AM
"Toll, my eye!" Worrin scoffs. "We travel the caravan road between Dale and Heatherleigh. These are no lands of yours, Gob."

Arjen the Red
2015-07-24, 08:49 PM
"I disagree," he replies raising his weapon and motioning to his comrades. "Come on lads!

You have won INIT so good guys act first. In your attack posts please let me know the number of the goblin you are attacking and any special comments about positioning. Assume that you will meet them in the middle from where you are standing now shown on the map if you come towards them. Otherwise, they will come at you. Goblin 1 and 2 will go for Worrin, 3 for Casdon, and 4 for Imilon.

Ski-Bird
2015-07-24, 09:22 PM

Worrin hefts his longsword, allowing the feel of the weapon — the weight of it — to reassure him somewhat. He steals a quick glance over his shoulder to his mates before heading off toward the goblin aggressors.

He closes the distance and attacks!

Move toward enemy and melee attack vs Goblin #1, [roll0]; [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-07-25, 07:40 AM
The goblin shrieks in glee and lifts his sword further as he charges to close the distance. He jumps in the last five feet and thrusts his blade at Worrin's heart. The fighter easily parries, sidesteps, and then brings the blade around into the goblin's neck. He drops to the ground with a thud.

YossarianLives
2015-07-25, 03:35 PM

Imilon nods at Worrin in response and let's out an animalistic growl and slashes at the approaching goblin with his sword.

Melee attack against goblin #4. (1d20)[7] (1d8-1)[3]

Krull
2015-08-01, 07:00 AM

Seeing the negotiations break down into a fight, Casdon moves forwards and swings his mace at one of the advancing goblins, whilst keeping an eye on his companions.

Moving and attacking goblin #3. [roll0] [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-08-06, 03:05 PM
Casdon's mace is easily parried as the third goblin charges forward. "Bad decision human scum," he says swinging his sword at the cleric. Casdon parries himself and pushes the goblin back a step.

The second goblin lunges at Worrin, slashing for his legs. The fighter kicks the sword to the side. The fourth goblin stabs viciously at Imilon and draws blood from his left arm.

G3 misses Cardon with a roll of 2

G2 misses Worrin with a roll of 11

Goblin 4 hits Imilon with a roll of 16 and 1 pt damage.

Back to the top of initiative.

Ski-Bird
2015-08-06, 03:14 PM

Worrin grits his teeth as he sees his friend get struck, and presses his advantage!

Attack Gob #2, if he drops … Worrin will make his way to Imilon's side.

Attack: [roll0], [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-08-06, 03:36 PM
The sound of steel on steel rings out through the morning air as the goblin again avoids being wounded.

Krull
2015-08-06, 03:47 PM

Casdon glances over to Imilon as he's struck, but seeing it's only a minor wound focuses on the attacking goblin rather than going over to him, swinging his mace again.

Going for goblin #3 again [roll0] [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-08-06, 03:54 PM
Casdon fakes to his left sending the third goblin off balance. It gives a shriek and a terrified look as the cleric's mace smashes into it's neck. It crumples to the ground, motionless.

YossarianLives
2015-08-06, 11:59 PM

Imilon grunts with pain and screams at the opposing goblin. "Damn you, die cur!"

He stabs at the goblin's neck with another yell.

Attacking goblin #4.

Attack: (1d20)[9] (1d6-1)[2]

Edit: curse the Dice Gods.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-07, 09:56 AM
A momentary look of panic crosses the goblin's face as the thief's blade plunges towards his neck but quickly shifts his weight backward and cranes his head just out of reach. He the planted his right leg, shifting his weight back forward and slashed his sword across Imilon's chest, drawing a thin line of blood.

On the other side of the fire, the second goblin jabbed at Worrin with his sword but fell short as the fighter took a simple step backwards.

G4 hits Imilon for 1 point of damage.

Krull
2015-08-09, 01:21 PM

Casdon runs over to Imilion as the goblin he was fighting falls, swinging his mace down at the goblin that has wounded his companion.

Assuming that we are just going back to the top of the initiative order and carrying on the fight, so attacking goblin #4. [roll0] [roll1]

Ski-Bird
2015-08-09, 04:52 PM

"Come on then, Lads!" Worrin shouts, encouraging his mates. They had these goblin brigands on their heels now!

Attack Gob #2, [roll0], [roll1].

If he drops, head toward Imlion and Casdon to help with the last one.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-09, 07:42 PM
Worrin fells the goblin with an impressive stab then rushes over to Imilon. The thief's strike draws blood from the goblin's right thigh but the creature continues to bear down before hearing the final scream of his companion near Worrin. Glancing quickly at his companion his expression turns from rage to fear. He swings around and sprints back towards the road, running as quickly as he can.

Ski-Bird
2015-08-09, 08:12 PM
Worrin watches the goblin run off. It felt good to be victorious in battle, to be tested ... and to come out on top. Truth be told, he enjoyed it. Enjoyed the thrill of it all. How could he ever settle down and be a simple farmer when a world of adventure lay at his feet?

He takes a moment to clean his blade before sheathing the weapon.

"Well done, friends." He says.

YossarianLives
2015-08-09, 09:57 PM

"Run while you still can, coward!" Imilon yells at the retreating goblin. He then sits down on the ground to catch his breath, take a drink from his water skin and clean the blood from his blade.

"Casdon, one of those vile little buggers got my arm. Would you be so good as to help me bandage it?"

Krull
2015-08-10, 05:39 AM

Casdon looks over Imilon's wound, examining the damage. "Actually, I think I should be able to take care of this, just hold still." He lays his hand over the wound, channelling his holy power into it.

Seeing as my spells are coming from the day before anyway, going to use Cure Light Wounds to heal Imilon. [roll0]

YossarianLives
2015-08-10, 01:50 PM
"Thank's friend." Says Imilon. Although trying to stay full of bravado he is quite shaken by the battle. "It's already almost morning, maybe we should depart and get several extra hours of travel in."

Krull
2015-08-10, 04:07 PM

"That'll be fine with me, just as long as your willing to give me time to pray before we head off." Casdon kneels down on the ground, closing his eyes and grasping his holy symbol in one hand as he silently communes with his god.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-10, 04:27 PM
It's a scene of tranquility; Casdon deep in reverence as the sun rises majestically over the horizon. An hour passes quickly as you break camp and continue the short distance left to the city of Heatherleigh. You arrive midmorning to find the city bustling with the day-to-day commerce typical of the city and pause to determine where you will begin your search.

Krull
2015-08-12, 04:24 PM

"Perhaps we should see if anyone has seen anything that may help us in our search."

Casdon will look around to see if he can find one of the guards nearby, and if he sees one he will walk up to then and ask the following: "Excuse me, but we are looking for a friend of ours, a gnome by the name of Fonkin from the nearby village of Dale, and we are worried that he may have been kidnapped. I don't suppose you'd know anything that could help us in our search?"

YossarianLives
2015-08-13, 12:26 AM

Imilon will bid farewell to his companions and head to the local tavern in search of information.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-13, 05:20 PM
A few yards to the left of the gate Casdon spots a guard house and approaches asking about the gnome. The guards, while visibly concerned and incredibly willing to help haven't a clue about the gnome. "I don't think I've seen a gnome in this town for almost a year!" the taller soldier replies. His companion shakes his head as well. "It's been quiet around here as of late aside from a few marauding goblin parties on the road. We wish you luck in finding your friend."

Imilon walks into the Swinging Sword tavern around the corner from the guard house. The special today is a spicy dwarven ale; chili peppers from the lands far to the south. The thief manages a few sips trying to decide if it is to his liking. The bartender, a stout man of fifty, chuckles at Imilon; "It's not for everyone!" he laughs. Milo's conversation with the tavern folk doesn't lead to much more information. Gnomes, while certainly welcome, seem to be very rare in this city.

Ski-Bird
2015-08-14, 04:13 PM
Worrin joins with Casdon and Imilon for a draught. "I was afraid of this." The young warrior says, after a cursory search of the town turned up no leads.

"No sign of our dear friend here ... at least by any of the respectable folk."

"Perhaps we should inquire after Fonkin in one of the seedier places around ... if he was kidnapped and brought here against his will, I'm certain the town guard wouldn't know about it."

"That, or we have to set out for those ruins ..." His voice trails off at the prospect of venturing that close to the ruins he had heard so much of as a boy. The heat of the dwarven ale spreading through him even as his spine chilled.

Krull
2015-08-14, 04:48 PM

Casdon will thank the guards before heading on to meet Imilon and Worrin in the tavern, simply asking for water.

"Asking in the seedier areas could be useful if our friend has been brought here, although I must say I lack experience with dealing with such people. Unless one of you knows how to handle that, it may be for the best to head onto the ruins and hope that he isn't here..."

YossarianLives
2015-08-15, 11:18 AM

"I might me able to... 'Negotiate' with some of the ne'er do wells of Heatherleigh. However we need to find them before any negotiating can take place."

Imilon will look around as if expecting to see what he needs directly behind him. "Do either of you have any clues?"

Krull
2015-08-15, 11:55 AM

"I'm afraid not. I could try inquiring at the local temple to see if they would know anything, as they may be willing to trust me as a fellow member, but I'm not sure how much use it would be..."

Arjen the Red
2015-08-17, 07:54 AM
The dwarf frowns as he pours a glass of water for Casdon. You hear him mumble something about being a child before he turns and moves to the far side of the bar to pour drinks for two rough-looking dwarves that just walked in the side door. He walks back a minute later and busies himself cleaning glasses and interjecting comments here and there to all those within ear shot.

Talking over your findings about the seedier parts of town, the bartender suggests the docks along the river. "Though, we are a law-abiding town, even our sailors are a cut above the rest!" he states proudly.

You spend the afternoon investigating the town asking around about Fonkin but again come up with nothing. It's early evening when you return to the Swinging Sword.

Ski-Bird
2015-08-17, 09:26 AM
"Well, my friends," Worrin says, taking his seat. "It appears that there is nothing left except to venture toward those ruins."

"Perhaps we should gather some supplies for the road, rations and such before setting out. It may be a few days of wilderness living if we are to search thoroughly."

Krull
2015-08-17, 10:17 AM
"Yes, it seems like are not going to find anything else while we are here. We should buy supplies and head out on the morning, the longer we take to find our good friend, the more chance his captors have of getting away from us..."

YossarianLives
2015-08-17, 11:51 AM

"Aye, we should depart as soon as possible. I want to find Fonkin as soon as possible and get back to Dale. It's been fun but... If we were attacked by armed bandits travelling a short distance between two towns... Whatever is in those ruins must be terrifying."

Arjen the Red
2015-08-18, 08:35 PM
Having heard of your work taking out the goblins the tavern owner gives you a room for the night for free. "It's the least I can do for your helping keep people safe between here and Dale!" he says with a smile. A medium-sized, well appointed room with two beds it serves its purpose despite one of you needing to sleep on the floor on a stack of blankets. Regardless, you all sleep well and awake refreshed and ready for the day's journey.

By midmorning you have rounded the southernmost tip of the Llancrest Wood. A gentle summer breeze accompanies you on the path following the border of the wood. Just as the sun begins to set you crest a small hill and look down upon the ruins in a small valley. Ancient pillars stand in a four by four grid with the dark forbidding backdrop of the wood casting down shadows. The ground is wind-blown grass and sand around the ruins and a few small shrubs sticking up desperately trying to grow amid the stone pillars. In the center of the ruins you find a small stairway leading down into the ground. The steps are well crafted dressed stone. It is quiet save for the breeze and the occasional rustling of leaves and snapping of twigs from what you assume are forest animals off in the wood.

YossarianLives
2015-08-19, 12:35 PM

Imilon will peer down the stairway into the darkness below, a look of apprehension on his face. "Did either of you happen to bring something we could use as a torch?"

Arjen the Red
2015-08-20, 07:03 AM
Imilon peers down further, cautiously taking a few steps into the ground below. It is quite dark down there and a light source will certainly be needed.

Krull
2015-08-20, 04:28 PM

"Hang on, this should help."

Casdon will pull out a torch and light it, holding it towards the gloom to light the way.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-20, 09:17 PM
The torch brightens the tunnel and sends the shadows racing for the corners. Peering down you see that the path goes straight for sixty feet or so before veering off to the left. Closer, a path jets off to the west.

map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOGDzHnbkbKLzrEZM7H9TLNtb076QOZC85WfnkXcmBs/edit#gid=886135616)

YossarianLives
2015-08-20, 11:43 PM

Imilon will draw his sword and advance down the passageway. His bare scalp gleaming in the torchlight. After walking to the entrance of the western passage he turns around to address his companions. "Left or right?"

Krull
2015-08-21, 05:55 AM

Casdon will peer down the west passage in the torchlight. "Perhaps we should check out this path before we press on further into the ruins. We don't know how far they'd be willing to go in, and it'd be better to get this over quickly if we can."

Arjen the Red
2015-08-21, 03:48 PM
Twenty feet further to the west the path opens into a door facing south. Casdon pushes gently on the door and it swings open into an empty room, although its obvious its been getting a lot of use lately. At the south end of the room is a large table surrounded by chairs. A crudely made mug sits on the table. It's empty but still contains the dregs of a cheap smelling wine at the bottom.

updated map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOGDzHnbkbKLzrEZM7H9TLNtb076QOZC85WfnkXcmBs/edit#gid=886135616)

Krull
2015-08-23, 06:15 AM

"Seems were going to have to go deeper in after all... Seems like there's someone here though. Perhaps we should check the room before moving on."

Casdon will go into the room and look around for anything that seems out of place or that might help them find Fonkin.

Ski-Bird
2015-08-23, 06:01 PM

Worrin made his way in silence for the better part of the journey. Upon discovering the stone staircase, he takes a moment to ready his sword and shield … and then follows his friends in to the darkened tunnel.

When the first chamber proved to be empty, he nods when Casdon suggests moving deeper within the compound.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-23, 08:19 PM
The earthen walls turn abruptly to the east and continue on for another seventy feet before cutting south. The ground becomes softer at this point and a quick inspection finds the dirt floors are becoming damp but you see nor hear any source of water. The flames of the torch bounce light off to the west at the end of the passage where along the northern wall you find a simple wooden door. Glancing down to the south you can just make out the outline of another door on the western wall. Aside from the rattling of your equipment it is quiet in the ruins.

updated map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOGDzHnbkbKLzrEZM7H9TLNtb076QOZC85WfnkXcmBs/edit#gid=886135616)

YossarianLives
2015-08-23, 11:51 PM

Imilon sheaths his sword and instead draws his bow. He knocks an arrow and nudges the north-most door open with his foot. He mutters quietly, "Why the hell would anyone live in a dank ruin such as this... They must be insane."

Krull
2015-08-24, 05:25 AM

"Or they have something to hide, something they don't want people to know about..." Casdon will keep his mace in his hand as he moves up to the door beside Imilon, peering into the room.

Ski-Bird
2015-08-24, 06:19 AM

Worrin nods. "Foul things that fear the light." He says. "Or foul men who wish to hide their deeds. In any event, it makes no matter to me … both have good reason to fear our blades."

Worrin works his grip on his pommel of his sword. The heavy leather glove creaking slightly as he tightens his grip, preparing himself for whatever the chamber held.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-24, 06:52 PM
The tension rises steeply as the door slowly swings open into the chamber. Their grips tighten further as the torch light bounds around the room searching for signs of anything. You all breath a collective sigh of relief as the room is quite empty save for a few shards of pottery in the northwest corner. Walking back to the passage way you see a bunch of rags in the south eastern corner. Pulling them aside you find a small bottle filled with a sweet smelling liquid; you soon realize it is a healing potion.

map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOGDzHnbkbKLzrEZM7H9TLNtb076QOZC85WfnkXcmBs/edit#gid=886135616)

Krull
2015-08-26, 02:03 PM

"This could come in useful, although it may be better for one of you to carry it, I already have the ability to heal, if limited." Casdon will pick up the potion and offer it to one of the others, before heading over to the other door.

Arjen the Red
2015-08-29, 03:40 PM
Like all those before it, the door opens silently into the next passage. You can clearly feel the path descend more into the ground as the path winds gently to the south for thirty feet before turning back towards the north. You catch view of lantern light up ahead and crouch down walking slowly towards it. The path opens into another rectangular room, this one the door already opened, where a small man is sitting on a box looking rather dejected, a closed door in the north wall. He is startled when he looks and sees you at the doorway but is visibly relaxed when he comes to the conclusion that you are not anyone seeking to harm him. He stands up, with a bit of effort, and waves you in. "Well don't just stand there, come in!" the gnome says!

Ski-Bird
2015-08-29, 06:40 PM

This was decidedly unexpected. Worrin's brow furrows as he sees the gnome in the room beyond. Could it be? Perhaps Fonkin had not been kidnapped at all, maybe had had come here for reasons as-yet unknown?

"Fonkin?"

Is this Fonkin (or at least look like he is)?

Arjen the Red
2015-08-29, 09:28 PM
The gnome tilts his head to the side in confusion. "How do you know my name?" he says.

Krull
2015-08-30, 05:21 AM

Casdon lets out a sigh of relief as the gnome recognises the name as his own. "We came from Dale, friend. You disappeared without telling anyone where you were going, we feared that you had been kidnapped, or worse. It is good to see that you are safe. But please, tell us, what are you doing in such a place?"

Arjen the Red
2015-08-30, 03:54 PM
A wry smile crosses Fonkin's face. "Arthen sent you didn't he?!" the gnome says. He walks over and reaches up to shake each of your hands in turn. Imilon looks behind into the passage to ensure that no one has followed you in. Satisfied, he goes about looking over seemingly every inch of the room you are in.

"No, I wasn't kidnapped. Just trying to retrieve something stolen from me." He looks back at the locked door in the north of the room. "The thief was something of an apprentice of mine. I tracked her from Dale this far but the door is quite locked." He frowns at the door, curses something in gnomish and turns back to you. "Magically locked it would seem. No spell or scroll that I have can open it." He spits at the door and mumbles in gnomish yet again.

"I suggest we return to Dale. Nothing else we can do---" The gnome breaks off mid sentence at the sound of growling and snarls coming from just outside the southern door. "Look alive boys. We've got company." As you turn towards the door, three pairs of greenish-red eyes glow in the shadows. They move into the opening of the room and continue to snarl. "Drat," says Fonkin. "Wargs!" He pulls a small sword from his belt and takes a defensive posture

YossarianLives
2015-09-02, 11:33 AM

With a shout of surprise, Imilon retreats to the other side of the room and draws his tattered hunting bow. He knocks an arrow and looses it at the nearest Warg.

I'm assuming we're using the same method of target designation. Attacking Warg #1.

(1d20+1)[10]

Krull
2015-09-02, 12:09 PM

Casdon will move towards the wargs, swinging his mace down at one of the others that Imilion wasn't attacking.

Attacking Warg #2
[roll0] [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-02, 03:30 PM
Casdon's mace twinkles in the torch light as he raises it above his head and charges at the second warg. The hound jumps towards him, fangs dripping with drool. The cleric's wide-arcing swing meets the jumping beast on the side of the head with a devastating crunching sound. It drops to the ground and slumps into a quickly forming pool of blood and foam. It turns its head up to look at the cleric and prepares to lash out again, albeit weakly.

Imilon's arrow flies towards the first warg but the beast jumps to the side and the missile lodges itself into the floor of the room.

Ski-Bird
2015-09-06, 06:49 AM

As the wargs pour into the cramped room, Worrin squares himself up against one of them and readies his shield. He glances to his mates already engaged with the beasts and brings his longsword down in a vicious arc.

[roll0], [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-06, 09:45 AM
Worrin's blade comes down but finds only the ground as the Warg jumps back onto its hind legs. The beast then quickly jumps at Worrin's left leg, clamping down hard. The warrior let's out a scream as the fangs dig into his calf muscle sending a wave of pain throughout his body. The other two wars, sensing the situation, both lunge at Worrin. The third warg jumps in but is knocked aside by fighter's arm while the second, very weakened wolf, can only step forward snarling.

7 damage to Worrin. 9/16 hp The first warg is now clamped onto him.

YossarianLives
2015-09-06, 10:20 AM
With a snarl of anger at the wounds caused to his friend, Imilon knocks a second arrow and launches it at the second warg with a "Ha!"

Shooting at warg #2.

(1d20+1)[10] (1d6)[3]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-07, 04:12 PM
The thief's "ha" is quickly followed by an expletive as the arrow misses to the left and lodges itself into the wall behind the beast. Too bad, as it would have caught the wolf directly in the eye if it was on target.

Krull
2015-09-07, 05:47 PM

"Hang on Worrin!" Casdon will swing his mace down again, trying to finish off the injured warg.

Attacking Warg #2 again
[roll0] [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-08, 10:00 AM
Casdon slips on a piece of loose earth and loses his footing. The mace strike lands nowhere near the warg.

Ski-Bird
2015-09-13, 03:22 PM
Worrin screams in pain as the warg latches on, and brings his longsword down on the beast!

Attack! [roll0], [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-13, 06:43 PM
The sword swings wide giving the warg a haircut but nothing else. Fonkin jumps in, screaming and plunges his dagger into the warg's neck. It yelps as it releases its bite on Worrin and falls to the ground, blood pooling around its head. The second wolf jumps at Worrin but gets its front paws stuck in the body of the first one. The third warg leaps in and rakes his claws across Worrin's already injured leg.

5 damage to Worrin. Sorry!

Krull
2015-09-15, 09:00 AM

Casdon will turn from attacking the wargs and instead head over to Worrin to try and heal some of his wounds.

Using Cure Light Wounds [roll0]

YossarianLives
2015-09-15, 04:25 PM

Cursing under his breath, Imilon drops his bow, draws his sword and charges into the fray.

Attacking warg #3 (1d20)[8] (1d6)[6]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-15, 06:36 PM
The warg leaps up into the air and over the incoming sword blow. It lands just to the left of Imilon and opens its jaws, ready to strike.

Ski-Bird
2015-09-21, 06:10 AM

Worrin focuses on the warg that is currently mauling him. He places both hands on the hilt of his longsword and stabs downward, attempting to end the foul thing … before it ended him.

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2015-09-21, 12:52 PM
The blade slips effortlessly in the space between the wolf's shoulder and neck. It shudders violently for a brief second and then falls motionless to the ground. Fonkin jumps in and slashes a bloody gash across the face of the second warg who quick, upon sensing the futility of the situation, runs out of the room as fast as it can. The room becomes quiet once again.

"I could not be sicker of those foul beasts," Fonkin says, giving the wolf corpses a dirty eye. He turns to you all and smiles warmly. "Thank you for your help. Meet me at the Laughing Dragon when you get back. He turns to the locked door once more and curses and then twists a ring on his left hand, whispers some words in what you can only assume is gnomish, and then disappears from the room.

End of combat.

Ski-Bird
2015-09-21, 02:30 PM
"Ugh … I'm glad that's over." Worrin says, cleaning his blade. "You have my thanks, Brother Casdon for healing me. Those wargs would have been the death of me otherwise."

Krull
2015-09-21, 05:31 PM
"That's alright friend, I'm just glad it was enough, I am only able to do that once a day. Still, it is good that we were able to find Fonkin here. Do either of you have anything else you wish to do before we head back to meet him?"

YossarianLives
2015-09-21, 08:31 PM

Imilon will pick up his dropped bow and walk to over to his companions.

"I see no reason to linger. This door isn't coming open and I'd like to get back home and get some rest. I can't say I've enjoyed my foray into the adventurers life"

Arjen the Red
2015-09-22, 07:46 PM
Just around lunch time on the 14th day of July, 872 you return to the city of Dale and are greeted by waves and cheers by any townsfolk that happen to be out in the streets. Word of Fonkin's return has seemed to have spread and they all seem most grateful that their beloved gnome has returned. As you pass Balin's Arms, the normally grim-faced dwarf waves you into his shop and offers to repair your equipment for free. "And the big wigs in town said I'm to give you 100 gp credit a piece for getting our gnome back," he says, still grinning. You're not sure what is stranger, the line of credit or the smile on his face.

YossarianLives
2015-09-26, 08:47 PM
Imilon will purchase 20 arrows from Balin's Arms and a new dwarven longsword to replace the chipped, old shortsword that has belonged to his father. He will thank the dwarf, bid fairwell to his companions and then return home to rest.

Krull
2015-09-27, 12:37 PM
Casdon will thank the dwarf for his generosity, taking this opportunity to acquire 7 vials holy water, as well as some chalk, a small mirror and some silk rope, in case he ever finds himself in a situation where such items may be useful.

Arjen the Red
2015-09-29, 07:16 AM
As the morning grows later you decide to make your way back to the Laughing Dragon and reunite with Fonkin. Upon entering the inn, you find a great number of the town's folk gathered in celebration of their beloved gnome. "Please, please, enough already!" Fonkin says. He is obviously uncomfortable with all the attention and is outwardly relieved when Casdon and Imilon enter and the crowd approaches in turn to offer its thanks and a free round if you are interested. After more thank you-s then you can remember a semblance of normalcy returns Fonkin walks over and smiles brightly. "I never did have a chance to thank you properly," he says gesturing to a table against the wall. "Please," he adds inviting you to sit.

A petite, even for elven standards, serving woman brings a heaping tray of breakfast food to the table and thanks you as well. Fonkin's face turns more serious as he explains the circumstances that lead to your meeting in the ruins. A few days back before I left someone broke into my home and stole some very valuable items from me. Due to the wards I had placed on where they were hidden, I have no doubt that it was robbery. His face flushes red in anger as he recounts the details.

The gnome continues to explain that he had gone so far as to hire an elven apprentice named Valanunthe, but quickly grew suspicious that she had ulterior motives in gaining his employment. He dismissed her shortly there after and he is all but certain that she broke in to steal these items. "I found evidence of her footprints in my home. I tracked her to the room you found me in off in the ruins but I was obviously unable to break the wards that the elf used. I feel she must be holed up down in that room." He pauses to take a drink of water and the anger from his face gives way to frustration. "It's clear now to me that I am getting too old for this sneaking around." His eyes quickly break with yours and he looks down at the table. "I could use your help getting those items back and getting Valanunthe. I'd like to question her." I'm sure I can find a way to compensate you for your time and effort."

YossarianLives
2015-09-29, 04:05 PM

As Fonkin speaks Imilon will nod politely and listen. When he finishes Imilon wracks his brain for a minute and then says, "exactly what kind of items were stolen from you?"

Arjen the Red
2015-10-02, 01:16 PM
"A very valuable document that can't fall into the wrong hands," he says in utter seriousness. "My uncle helped design and build the castle in Heatherleigh. At the Baron's request, he included an underground passage that would allow a secret way out if needed. If Valanunthe deciphers this document there would be a way to bypass all of the castle's security." He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a small piece of paper rolled up into circle. "A mage friend of mine perjured this for me: a knock spell. It should get past that door in the ruins." He waits for your answer.

Krull
2015-10-03, 02:07 PM
"That is worrying news, but I will be happy to help you retrieve this document. Still, it may be wise for someone to inform the castle of this potential gap in their defences, lest they manage to decifer the documents before we can retrieve them."

YossarianLives
2015-10-03, 07:54 PM

Imilon takes a sip of his ale and says "I will be glad to help, but Casdon is right, the castle should be warned."

Arjen the Red
2015-10-05, 04:07 PM
"YEs, of course," Fonkin replies. "I'll send out a messenger straight away to warn them. However, they have dispatched a great deal of men to the surrounding countryside to stop the raids and may not have many more to stop an attack." He hands the scroll over to Imilon. "All the more reason that you retrieve that document!"

YossarianLives
2015-10-07, 06:01 PM
Imilon takes the scroll from Fonkin, briefly glances at it, and stows it in his backpack. "We should depart soon then, time is short."