PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dashing Swordsman Prestige Class (WIP)

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 12:47 AM
This has been moved to the Dungeon Master's Guild, as part of Martial Prestige Classes.

MReav
2015-07-14, 01:23 AM
Requirement
Sneak Attack +3d6 or Extra Attack

Hit Die: d8

Level
Feature

Cutting Blows

Unarmored Defense

Ladies' Man

Ability Score Improvement

Daring Action

Cutting Blows-Gain Shillegah as a cantrip, with Charisma as your cating stat. This Shillegah can be cast on any weapon.

Unarmored Defense-Your defense when not wearing armor is now 10+Dex mod+Cha mod.

Ladies' Man-Alternatively, Men's Woman, Man's Man, or Ladies' Lady.

You have advantage on all Charisma checks made to impress one gender, chosen when you gain this ability.

Daring Action-You can, whenever you wish, choose to gain advantage on a check by performing it in a daring fashion. If, however, you fail this check, you are stunned for one turn as your daringness lead you to overextend yourself.

I'm really not 100% on this. I'm not sure what to give it, but I like the idea of a Charisma based fighter. Thoughts?

I'd say with Lady's Man (or perhaps a more gender-neutral Shameless/Awesome Flirt) that you have advantage with Charisma checks made with anyone with a compatible orientation.

thedanster7000
2016-01-28, 05:28 PM
This is great, it just seems to be missing the Dashing Swordsman-ish fluff. For instance, instead of making Cutting Blows a spell, you could make it an option whenever you attack with a melee Finesse weapon and make a pun while doing so. Also, I feel there should really be a Charisma-based prerequisite.

UristMcRandom
2016-01-29, 12:26 AM
It seems to me that making it accessible to bards would be beneficial.

JNAProductions
2016-01-29, 01:02 AM
It seems to me that making it accessible to bards would be beneficial.

It already is. You just need to be a Valor Bard.

Flashy
2016-01-29, 01:28 AM
Daring Action-You can, whenever you wish, choose to gain advantage on a check by performing it in a daring fashion. If, however, you fail this check, you are stunned for one turn as your daringness lead you to overextend yourself.

I absolutely LOVE that this applies to mental checks as well as physical. The idea of a Dashing Swordsman daringly thinking about history, and then standing literally stunned when he can't come up with anything relevant is delightful.

ji6
2016-01-29, 01:46 AM
Cutting Blows-Gain Shillegah as a cantrip, with Charisma as your cating stat. This Shillegah can be cast on any weapon.

Unarmored Defense-Your defense when not wearing armor is now 10+Dex mod+Cha mod.

Ladies' Man-Alternatively, Men's Woman, Man's Man, or Ladies' Lady.

You have advantage on all Charisma checks made to impress one gender, chosen when you gain this ability.

I'm really not 100% on this. I'm not sure what to give it, but I like the idea of a Charisma based fighter. Thoughts?

Hmm, cutting blow feels weird. From a mechanical point, you probably would have a higher dex or str as the character you come in as for most classes mainly as 6th level is a little late for that ability. More importantly, it does not feel cutting to me and seems more game-y than I like. Like, a lot of paladins and bards in the world basically take one level and quit it. "Oh, yes the dashing class? I took that once at the bard/pali uni and just decided being any more dashing is too much. "

How about you gain the cantrip vicious mockery and can cast it using your Cha as a bonus action after making an attack on your turn? Or something else with vicious mockery but worded better, because using vicious mockery seems like it would fit well and be fun. This would make CHA important as well, but also allow players to have fun playing an oaf who decided to become dashing without the dash (I like the lack of a CHA prereq). Also, it could give birth to things like the dashing archer who likes staying away from melee combat to stay dashing.

Also, I think you should name the third level ability more along the lines of "A Big Sword." I feel like making names of features more pun-related overall would help the class feel more fun. Mechanically, I prefer picking a gender for the third level feature as you have it compared to the suggested orientation. Gender is easier, and it makes you seem more like practiced with psychology and mannerisms of that gender through experience (a host of sorts). Plus, I could see a gay dashing swordsman still picking women to get along with them great and blend in, or a straight strong dashing swordsmen wanting dudes to show off his bod at the gym.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-29, 12:27 PM
Pretty cool and I like it, you could give Unarmored defense on level 1 and something else on level 2 maybe? Ladie's man is a bit weird, you could replace that for something cooler than just advantage checks on half of the charisma checks. Daring Action shouldn't be at will, it is too strong with expertise sometimes and many checks are out of combat so stunning is not a big deal. Shillelagh with any weapon, maybe only finesse weapons (seems more fitting).

Seems as much that is wrong, but just little stuff, overall I like it. Nice job.

JNAProductions
2016-02-22, 02:59 PM
This has been moved to the Dungeon Master's Guild, as part of Martial Prestige Classes.

I would like to request everyone who quoted the entire class to please remove that, since it's no longer supposed to be hosted here. Thank you very much!

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-23, 04:02 AM

I would like to request everyone who quoted the entire class to please remove that, since it's no longer supposed to be hosted here. Thank you very much!

Did that for you

dsollen
2016-02-24, 12:50 PM
Time for an overly excessive look at a tiny fun ability of ladies man...

while conceptually I like ladies man, I'm not sure I like it's limited option of working on sexual orientation (which of course is still much better then only working on women or opposite sex). To give one example of the conflict look at it from a minmaxer perspective, in which every swordsman is bisexual... Come on you know it would happen, why accept working on only half the population when I could change my sexuality, never role play it, and now be able to work on anyone?

That may not be too big a deal, so long as you make sure that the orientation has to go both ways. If I'm playing a male bisexual swordsman I still won't have any luck with straight men or lesbians. That way only a small additional group is woo-able by being bisexual then straight and the GM can always ensue that a NPC is of the correct orientation to either be vulnerable or not to the wooing as they see fit.

However, that adds a problem the other way. if I play a lesbian swordswomen and my affect only works on those who share a mutual attraction to me then my ability only works on about 5% of the population, with a compatible orientation, instead of a straight swordswoman who works for almost 50% of the population. In game that means the GM is almost obligated to constantly have lesbian NPCs just to validate the class skill, which may get to be odd after awhile when you start to wonder how a kingdom can maintain a steady population with only 1/4 of it's population bearing children...

As GM I would probably houserule a small exception to the orientation rule a written. For most orientations they have advantage with anyone of a compatible orientation (and GM just slaps anyone who claims to be bisexual just to get advantage with 5% more characters without planing to role play it). However, I would say any gay/lesbian swordsman instead has advantage with anyone of the same sex. The mechanical reason for the exception is obvious, make sure that any orientation has about the same percentage of NPCs they get advantage with while allowing any orientation to be played and not forcing half of the world's NPCs to be gay/lesbian. Lore wise you can say they know their own gender well, both as friends and companions and as lovers, and that intimate knowledge makes them good with dealing with that sex in all situations, not just romantic.

...you know somehow suggesting when talking about an ability to woo and flirt with people I feel a bit dirty suggesting a man should get to have advantage with a women....:smalleek:

Of course, there is another issue with ladies man, what if someone doesn't *want* to play a constant flirt? Maybe their dashing swordsman has some damsel (or lad) in distress they are chasing after because they have fallen madly in love with them; and as such would *not* go flirting around. Maybe for all their dashing they are looking for a committed relationship not random flings? Maybe they are good people and realize they will just leave someone heart broken by flirting with them for something then disappearing and don't want to do that? maybe their just aromantic or asexual. Someone wanting the class may not want the feature as described

I think I like the earlier suggestion about picking a sex and being dashing with them without needing it to be romantic or woeing, but I would want to take that further. Make the feature shameless shoozer or something along that line and have the swordsman pick a category of people that they are skilled at charming and manipulating, in whatever manner they see fit. In essence they get to pick one large group of individuals (or perhaps a few small groups that add up to roughly 50% or less of the NPC population at GM discretion) that they have experience charming and get advantage with whatever that group may be. The option could be:

All of a sex x
Any of race R
Any with faith F
Any with sexual orientation O