PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Monk questions

j_spencer93
2015-07-14, 03:16 AM
Ok making an Npc and need to know how something works;

Multiattack and extra attack, how do those work? I imagine they do not stack right?

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-14, 03:25 AM
I think this was covered either in the errata, or one of the tweets. AFB right now; I'll check in about 45 min or so.

Malifice
2015-07-14, 04:48 AM
Don't stack. Both are actions. Choose one.

Millface
2015-07-14, 10:48 AM
Don't stack. Both are actions. Choose one.

To be more specific, you may either take the Attack Action or the Multiattack Action, Extra attack triggers only when you take the Attack Action on your turn.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-14, 10:58 AM
Honestly, I don't see why any character should have access to both of these. Multiattack exists to keep monsters' damage outputs 'on the curve' so that they meet their CR. Extra attack is a class feature. If an NPC has class levels, it's no longer a monster and should lose access to multiattack.

Thisguy_
2015-07-14, 08:58 PM
All Vampires, even fledglings, can attack more than once per action. Except this one. He took levels in Fighter, so he lost that ability. Somehow.

Multiattack seems like a "racial" thing; it doesn't stack with a normal attack action, but gnolls wouldn't lose claw use because they become wizards.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-15, 03:14 AM
Multiattack seems like a "racial" thing; it doesn't stack with a normal attack action, but gnolls wouldn't lose claw use because they become wizards.

Which is why we spend so much time homebrewing monsters as PC races!

(Though in your specific example, a gnoll wizard might well want to clip her claws because they kept getting in the way of her fancy quills and magic ink.)

And if you homebrewed vampire into a PC race, you'd surely drop multiattack and expect people to take fighter (or whatever) levels.