PDA

View Full Version : Teleport Object says it can't transport magical forces

NevinPL
2015-07-14, 05:29 AM
Is Forcecage, or Otiluke’s resilient sphere a "magical force" ? How about the stone coffin from Sarcophagus of
stone ?
If there's a creature inside object, does it make it unteleportable ?

ShaneMRoth
2015-07-14, 06:28 AM
Is Forcecage, or Otiluke’s resilient sphere a "magical force" ? How about the stone coffin from Sarcophagus of
stone ?
If there's a creature inside object, does it make it unteleportable ?

Since the force effect is the product of a magical spell, and since the spell description doesn't explicitly describe the force effect as being non-magical, it stands to reason that the force effect is a magical force.

It seems to me that the coffin isn't going anywhere.

(object)
The spell can be cast on objects, which receive saving throws only if they are magical or if they are attended (held, worn, grasped, or the like) by a creature resisting the spell, in which case the object uses the creature’s saving throw bonus unless its own bonus is greater.

If a creature is inside the object, that seems to be an attended object. The creature seems to be "wearing" it, or if not wearing it... at a very minimum... "or the like."

The attendee is going nowhere. And... at the very minimum... the attended object would be entitled to a Will save using the attendee's saving throw bonus.

If I were the DM, I wouldn't allow you to Teleport an object that was attended by another person. Hilarious as it would clearly be, Teleporting other peoples' pants into the Ethereal Plane would get old fast and create game balance issues. At some point the Ethereal Plane would become so full of pants that it would qualify as an Old Navy outlet. And nobody wants that.

Any DM who does allow players to teleport objects attended by others deserves every unintended and unforeseen consequence that attaches to such a fateful application of DM discretion.

NevinPL
2015-07-15, 05:23 AM
Can I get "a second opinion" ?

Hrugner
2015-07-15, 05:48 AM
As part of the teleport spell we get our definition for attended
Only objects held or in use (attended).

If someone is using a house to sleep in, a rock for cover or some other similar use you can't teleport the thing. Someone imprisoned by a cage or box in using it, although unwillingly. I'd rule they could decide not to use it for the purpose of the spell but they would be left behind after the teleport.

I don't believe that "magic force" is defined explicitly, but without further clarification I'd assume that it refers to any magic effect. You wouldn't be able to teleport fireballs to the desired location or other similar nonsense but you could teleport traps that produce magic effects on top of someone. I would include the first two spell examples you gave. However, for the third example, since the sarcophagus is permanent, there's no persistent spell effect so there shouldn't be a magical force at work.