PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF magic item question.

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 09:59 AM
So a belt of Dex +6 costs 18000 gold

would it be fair to get a +6 belt with all 6 stats +6 for 108000 gold + a price for putting all 6 stats on one item?

Is that a fair deal or am I getting too much out of one slot item? If it's too much what would be an acceptable trade off (price)?

Geddy2112
2015-07-14, 10:02 AM
Having all 6 stats on one item is pretty OP, and for the cost you would be getting a steal.

There is already belt of physical perfection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-of-physical-perfection) which boosts all 3 physical stats for 144k. There is a headband that does all 3 mental stats, same cost.

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 10:03 AM
So what if I just doubled the cost and rounded up? 300k sounds like not a bad deal for one slot.

Draco_Lord
2015-07-14, 10:03 AM
If you are a player, and you are being offered an time like that, at that price, buy it right now. You are saving so much money. Seriously. Worth it.

If you are a DM reprice that item, right now. That is grossly in the favour of your players.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-of-physical-perfection

That is the Belt of Physical Perfection. As you can see, it is priced at 144,000 gold for +6 to all physical stats (STR, DEX, CON). Magical improved don't multiply so nicely for new effects, they are a bit more exponential. I don't know the price of a single time that gives +6 to everything, but this should give you a better base for it. I'd personally go for at least 300,000 gold. If not more.

Damn, I got ninjaed.

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 10:05 AM
Damn, I got ninjaed.

Happens to the best of us.

Geddy2112
2015-07-14, 10:08 AM
So what if I just doubled the cost and rounded up? 300k sounds like not a bad deal for one slot.

No, its not. It is a great deal, the kind of deal that DM's should never allow and players should always take. Freeing up a slot for a headband or belt is worth the extra coin.

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 10:12 AM
What sounds like a fair price to you then?

Psyren
2015-07-14, 10:16 AM
At a minimum it would be 144k + (144k * 1.5), i.e. the 50% markup for a adding the properties of an item aimed at a specific slot to another item in a different slot. In this case you'd be combining the belt and the headband, for a total of 360k. This is over 40% of your WBL at 20 on a single item, and by RAW you wouldn't be allowed to do it until 20 anyway because before then it is > 50% of your WBL.

Draco_Lord
2015-07-14, 10:17 AM
So I'm curious. What are you doing this for? Are the players themselves looking for an item? Or is this the reward to a dungeon/big event? Cause as a reward, that is really fantastically overly awesome! And should be if they are in some high level stuff, like level 20, and about to go fight an army of dragons.
But as DM you have every right to do that. If you want them to have it, why not let them earn it in some hard dungeon, or awesome challenge.

If the players want to get it themselves. You probably shouldn't allow it, to be honest. Instead offer them both the headband and belt separately. (If they think the headband looks dumb let them fluff it to be a hair accessory and just take up the same slow. I've had a player who refused the headband for that reason.)

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 10:49 AM
At a minimum it would be 144k + (144k * 1.5), i.e. the 50% markup for a adding the properties of an item aimed at a specific slot to another item in a different slot. In this case you'd be combining the belt and the headband, for a total of 360k. This is over 40% of your WBL at 20 on a single item, and by RAW you wouldn't be allowed to do it until 20 anyway because before then it is > 50% of your WBL.

Okay good to know.

@Draco_Lord It's for a gunslinger the PCs are trying to catch based on Cypher the Lord of the Fallen from the warhammer 40000 universe.

He has the Lion sword (an item from the faction he betrayed and is on the run from and has yet to ever use in combat) and two pistols and feats set up counter any melee threat without drawing the sword.

Using Gun twirling/quick draw and free action reloads rapid reload/alchemist cartridges to make dual wielding pistols work with full attack.

I used the same point buy as the players but I didn't want all of his stats to fall off hence the stat boosting stuff.

He will be the toughest humanoid opponent in the campaign.

Draco_Lord
2015-07-14, 10:54 AM
Okay good to know.

@Draco_Lord It's for a gunslinger the PCs are trying to catch based on Cypher the Lord of the Fallen from the warhammer 40000 universe.

He has the Lion sword (an item from the faction he betrayed and is on the run from) and two pistols and feats set up counter any melee threat without drawing the sword.

Using Gun twirling/quick draw and free action reloads rapid reload/alchemist cartridges to make dual wielding pistols work with full attack.

I used the same point buy as the players but I didn't want all of his stats to fall off hence the stat boosting stuff.

Ah. Well then. Seems like you are looking for the wrong item. Rather then going for a single item to give him those boosts, you can go for something else. In this case, an inherent bonus. The link below is too a book that can give a +5 to Con, but there are versions for all the stats.

This gives him the bonus, without having to worry about the PCs getting hold of it. Alternatively, if he is the final boss, give him the item, as it doesn't matter as much.

Ultimately as DM, I would not worry so much about making an enemy to be built like a PC, but rather built to propose a challenge to the PCs, or at least make for a fun fight. If he is the best in the campaign, he has been training for a long time, his skills have increased. If he is the strongest, he is probably born a cut above the rest. An outlier. A powerful person who breaks the norm. Make him as such.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/book-manual-of-bodily-health

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 10:58 AM
Those are being added already as well.

His armor contains an effect similar to death throes.

All equipment other than the Lion sword will be destroyed.

Which he doesn't die anyway kind of respawns.

Unless they can cut off his divine protection.

Which then he has to reclaim the Lion sword.

He's not evil just has a purpose he's not letting others in on.

Geddy2112
2015-07-14, 11:06 AM
Does Cypher have a self destruct bomb if he dies? I know Lukas the Trickster has the stasis bomb?

Either way, since you are putting him in plot power armor, does it matter? He is a space marine, who has undergone a crapton of modifications to the point where human is just a resemblance. Space marines would be a separate race than human in pathfinder, and Cypher is a cut above that. We are talking major racial bonuses to stats. Do you want him to be beatable? Unkillable? A fight the PC's could win but won't until late in the game? You are the DM, and if you want, you can fiat those things into existence as you see fit.

Psyren
2015-07-14, 11:09 AM
Okay good to know.

He has the Lion sword (an item from the faction he betrayed and is on the run from and has yet to ever use in combat) and two pistols and feats set up counter any melee threat without drawing the sword.

Ah, well if he's an NPC you don't have to worry about wealth (unless of course the PCs get a hold of his uberbelt, which will of course blow one of them up wealth-wise.)

Note that it is possible to for a PC to get that belt sooner, if they craft it themselves. Per Ultimate Campaign, players with crafting feats are supposed to get a boost in WBL as a reward. Using the guidelines provided, a player can get a +6 all six stats belt as early as 17th level, which is a perfectly reasonable time to get such an item. A +4 to all six stats belt would come online at around 14-15.

Reprimand
2015-07-14, 11:35 AM
They're 15/16s and he has followers so this isn't a cake walk

His main tactic is to hang back shoot and escape if necessary

He's the chosen of a CN god from my campaign who spirits him away in times of great need the after effect of him being shunted out of reality creates an explosion.

Basically he wants to expose the "dark angels" as traitors and prove they are just as guilty as himself and everyone else who betrayed the "emperor".

I scrapped the armor idea. Sounded stupid once I posted it.

I might just scrap the explosion idea all together and go with he disappears assuming he doesn't escape on his own.

if they try to disarm him I'm gonna go with a magical force prevents the item from being removed from his person. The only thing that can be stolen in this fight is the Lion sword. Which he will confront the players again to attempt to retrieve it without pulling his punches.