PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Giant Fey Spider. Cheerful Arachnids with Reach. 5e homebrew race 3rd DRAFT (peach)

eleazzaar
2015-07-14, 11:37 AM
Giant Fey Spider

Feedback is appreicated. Feel Free to Brutally Pick it Apart.

Draft THREE is based on your feedback. Thanks!
Significantly changed portions are in green.

Lore
When faced with a giant spider large enough to look them in the eye, most people flee or draw their weapons. But if it is a giant fey spider, starting a pleasant chat is also an option. Fey spiders are marked with a nearly unquenchable cheerfulness and all around friendliness. Those fey spiders who travel outside the fey world are too often feared and driven away. But fey spiders don’t take it personally, they realize that monstrous giant spiders are much more common, and few people have heard about nice giant spiders. But they remain hopeful that the next creature they meet will be friendly.

A giant fey spider is simply a giant species of spider with the intellect and spirit of a fey. Their first pair of legs are used as arms, and possess dexterous pincers that serve as hands. Each individual has a unique, bold pattern of gold, rust, silver, ebony and copper green on fur and gleaming chitin. Smiling at everyone through two large iridescent eyes, a fey spider is quite handsome— to those who can see past its spidery-ness.

Disgusted by the idea of sucking the juices from creatures, fey spiders instead make fruit their staple, though they can eat other vegetable foods if they must.

Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.

Age. Giant fey spiders mature quickly, reaching adulthood in 12 years. Avoiding mishaps, they usually live around 80 years.

Alignment. As fey, giant fey spiders have a tendency toward chaotic good. Their tendency toward cheerfulness is even stronger.

Fey. Your type is fey. Spells that work only on humanoids do not affect you, but you are affected by spells that target fey. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Long, Spindly Limbs. Due to the length of your arms, you have an additional 5 feet of reach, but you find it awkward to balance long weapons. You have disadvantage on attack rolls with reach weapons.

Size. A giant fey spider can look a dragonborn in the eye, but on closer inspection the space it occupies is mostly legs and air— the spider’s body is about the same size as a dwarf’s. A giant fey spider weighs between 150 and 175 pounds, and can comfortably hold its body anywhere between 3 and 7 feet high. Your size is Medium. However due to your long legs, you are considered Large in the following ways.

You normally occupy a 10x10 foot space. As a bonus action you may fold in your legs to fit in a 5x5 foot space, but in that stance your speed drops to 20 feet. You may later unfold and return to your 10x10 stance with a bonus action.
You are considered Large for purposes of moving through or sharing the space with another creature.
You are considered Large for the purpose of grappling, which means you may attempt to grapple Huge creatures.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Arachnophobia. Humanoids have an instinctive aversion to giant spiders. But many humanoids who spend time around giant fey spiders are surprised how quickly the spider’s winsome personality removes their unease. You have disadvantage on Charisma (Performance) or (Persuasion) checks targeting humanoids unless they are accustomed to either fey or giant spiders, or both.

Armor. Armor may be difficult to find in the proper shape for a giant spider. For comparable protection and features armor shaped for you weighs twice as much as it would for a Medium sized creature. The cost is at least twice as much.

Language. You can speak read, and write Common, Sylvan, as well as one other standard language of your choice.

Subrace. Choose one of these subraces.

Orb Weaver
Orb weavers are some of the most honored artisans in the fey world, known for making luxurious silk textiles and tapestries. While most adventuring spiders have turned their back on weaving as an trade, they still possess the ability.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity and Constitution scores increase by 1.

Silk Spinner. You can produce silk of the hair-thin or up to the thickness up to a standard silk rope at will. The silk is securely connected to your spinnerets until you choose to release the strand strand.

As a bonus action you may attach your silk securely to an object.

You may lower weight up to carrying capacity, which may include yourself, on a silk rope at the speed of your choice.

As an action you may bind a grappled or unresisting creature’s arms or legs, breakable by Strength (Athletics), and escapable by Dexterity (Acrobatics).

You may create difficult to see trip-lines, noticeable by a Wisdom (Perception) check, which unless avoided drop one creature prone on a failed Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Each anchor point requires an action or bonus action.

You may create hair-thin trip-wires and lay a thread back to your position. All creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to notice these threads. As long as you are touching a connecting thread you know when and where a strand has been touched.

The DC to break, escape, avoid, or spot your silk is 8 + your Proficiency Bonus + your Constitution Modifier. A silk rope has AC 10; hp 3; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage.

You also have proficiency with tailor’s and weaver’s tools, and in a place with a market for fine clothing or tapestries you can produce enough to maintain a wealthy lifestyle.

Tree Spider
Unlike their weaving cousins, tree spiders make no silk. Leaner and wilder, they live in the towering trees of fey forests.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.

Spider Climb. Your climb speed is 30 feet. Additionally you can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check as long as the surface is not unusually smooth.

Agile Limbs. You may substitute Dexterity for Strength for any rolls related to jumping or climbing.

0.50 Type Fey
1.50 Reach
0.00 Size
-.50 Arachnophobia
-.50 Heavier armor
0.25 Languages

Orb Weaver
2.00 ASI
1.75 Silk Spinner
0.25 - Tool proficiencies
6.25 Total

Tree Spider
2.00 ASI
1.50 Spider Climb
0.50 Dex for Str jumping and climbing
6.25 Total

Lore
When faced with a giant spider large enough to look them in the eye, most people flee or draw their weapons. But if it is a giant fey spider, starting a pleasant chat is also an option. Fey spiders are marked with a nearly unquenchable cheerfulness and all around friendliness. Those fey spiders who travel outside the fey world are too often feared and driven away. But fey spiders don’t take it personally, they realize that monstrous giant spiders are much more common, and few people have heard about nice giant spiders. But they remain hopeful that the next creature they meet will be friendly.

A giant fey spider is simply a giant species of spider with the intellect and spirit of a fey. Their first pair of legs are used as arms, and possess dexterous pincers that serve as hands. Each individual has a unique, bold pattern of gold, rust, silver, ebony and copper green on fur and gleaming chitin. Smiling at everyone through two large iridescent eyes, a fey spider is quite handsome— to those who can see past its spidery-ness.

Disgusted by the idea of sucking the juices from creatures, fey spiders instead make fruit their staple, though they can eat other vegetable foods if they must.

In the fey world these spiders are usually weavers, making luxurious silk textiles and tapestries. While most adventuring spiders have turned their back on weaving as an trade, they still possess the ability.

Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma scores increase by 1.

Age. Giant fey spiders mature quickly, reaching adulthood in 12 years. Avoiding mishaps, they usually live around 80 years.

Alignment. As fey, giant fey spiders have a tendency toward chaotic good. Their tendency toward cheerfulness is even stronger.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Fey. Your type is fey. Spells that work only on humanoids do not affect you, but you are affected by spells that target fey. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Long, Spindly Limbs. Due to the length of your arms, you have an additional 5 feet of reach, but you find it awkward to balance long weapons. You have disadvantage on attack rolls with reach weapons.

Size. A giant fey spider can look a dragonborn in the eye, but on closer inspection the space it occupies is mostly legs and air— the spider’s body is about the same size as a dwarf’s. A giant fey spider weighs between 150 and 175 pounds, and can comfortably hold its body anywhere between 3 and 7 feet high. Your size is Medium. However due to your long legs, you are considered Large in the following ways.

You normally occupy a 10x10 foot space. As a bonus action you may fold in your legs to fit in a 5x5 foot space, but in that stance your speed drops to 20 feet. You may later unfold and return to your 10x10 stance with a bonus action.
You are considered Large for purposes of moving through or sharing the space with another creature.
You are considered Large for the purpose of grappling, which means you may attempt to grapple Huge creatures.

Climber. While fey spiders are not as skilled at climbing as most other giant spiders, you are still a better climber than most humanoids. You gain advantage on any Strength (Athletics) rolls for climbing.

Arachnophobia. Humanoids have an instinctive aversion to giant spiders. But many humanoids who spend time around giant fey spiders are surprised how quickly the spider’s winsome personality removes their unease. You have disadvantage on Charisma (Performance) or (Persuasion) checks targeting humanoids unless they are accustomed to either fey or giant spiders, or both.

Silk Spinner. You can produce silk of the hair-thin or up to the thickness up to a standard silk rope at will. The silk is securely connected to your spinnerets until you choose to release the strand strand.

As a bonus action you may attach your silk securely to an object.
You may lower weight up to carrying capacity, which may include yourself, on a silk rope at the speed of your choice.
As an action you may bind a grappled or unresisting creature’s arms or legs, breakable by Strength (Athletics), and escapable by Dexterity (Acrobatics).
You may create difficult to see trip-lines, noticeable by a Wisdom (Perception) check, which unless avoided drop one creature prone on a failed Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Each anchor point requires an action or bonus action.
You may create hair-thin trip-wires and lay a thread back to your position. All creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to notice these threads. As long as you are touching a connecting thread you know if something has touched or broken it.

The DC to break, escape, avoid, or spot your silk is 8 + your Proficiency Bonus + your Constitution Modifier. Your silk has 2 hp.

You also have proficiency with tailor’s and weaver’s tools, and in a place with a market for fine clothing or tapestries you can produce enough to maintain a wealthy lifestyle.

Armor. Armor may be difficult to find in the proper shape for a giant spider. For comparable protection and features armor shaped for you weighs twice as much as it would for a Medium sized creature.

Language. You can speak read, and write Common, Sylvan, as well as one other standard language of your choice.

3.00 ASIs
0.50 Fey
1.50 Reach + disadvantage with reach weapons
0 Large-ish
-.50 Arachnophobia
1.50 Silk Spinner
0.50 Advantage on climbing
-.50 Heavier Armor
0.25 language of choice
--------

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 12:00 PM
Looks pretty balanced to me. One thing I'd consider is proficiency in Athletics, or an outright climb speed. I mean, you are a spider.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-14, 12:21 PM
If anything, this race may be a little weak. The ASIs suggest Sorcerer, Bard, or Warlock, and reach is only really useful for valor bards and bladelocks. OTOH, not being able to us big weapons hurts bladelocks, since they can't use shields. Disadvantage on Persuasion more than negates your racial bonus, so you can't be a party face (although it is super flavorful, so I would probably keep it). I also think you've overvalued Silk Spinner- the ability to create rope when needed out of combat isn't particularly strong. Most characters will own rope, since it comes in most packs.

Overall, I love the idea, but I think the race needs a little boost.

eleazzaar
2015-07-14, 01:39 PM
I need to add a trait that gives guidance for armor.

Thanks for the comments...

Looks pretty balanced to me. One thing I'd consider is proficiency in Athletics, or an outright climb speed. I mean, you are a spider.

I didn't want to give athletics, because it would make them good at things like swimming. I considered a climb speeds, but I'm not sure how to value that. It is certainly something that may be added.

If anything, this race may be a little weak. The ASIs suggest Sorcerer, Bard, or Warlock, and reach is only really useful for valor bards and bladelocks. OTOH, not being able to us big weapons hurts bladelocks, since they can't use shields. Disadvantage on Persuasion more than negates your racial bonus, so you can't be a party face (although it is super flavorful, so I would probably keep it).

I think you are right about it being weak.

This race was more concept-driven-- I haven't put much thought into what it might be good for. But even with just a +1 to dex, it can get a +3 to dex mod at level 1-- just as good as anybody else's dex mod. I've vaguely thought of it as a moderately squishy dex-based martial, striking from behind the tanky meatshield with reach.

I also think you've overvalued Silk Spinner- the ability to create rope when needed out of combat isn't particularly strong. Most characters will own rope, since it comes in most packs.

Overall, I love the idea, but I think the race needs a little boost.

I had silk-spinner producing a lot more rope, faster, but then I looked at the cost of silk rope and realized it was a money machine, that could put you into wealthy to aristocratic living style. A "Wealthy" lifestyle only costs 4 GP a day, and a performance skill is singled out as something that can provide that.

I'd like to do something with spider silk, but this is not a great solution. I didn't want to make silk that "decayed" and thus was unsuitable for selling, because that seemed to gamey.

What do you think about re-allowing "Heavy" weapons?

What do you think about the "Large = normal speed, Medium= Slow" thing? Clunky and annoying, or flavorful an interesting? I think i'm probably rating it too generously, because there is no advantage in being large, as defined for them.

weaseldust
2015-07-14, 01:56 PM
These spiders might make for good paladins, with a shield and rapier. Or valour bards or favoured souls. Or intimidation-focused rogues. And the reach could sometimes be helpful for spellcasters by letting them hide behind someone and use spells that require melee attacks (though the mental image of a 7-foot spider hiding behind someone and tentatively casting round them is hilarious).

I agree that the silk-spinning ability isn't worth a whole point on that scale. (I also doubt that reach is worth two points, but I think being fey might be worth more than 0.5, especially since NPCs are unlikely to use spells that affect fey differently.) You could give them the ability to walk unhindered on webs (not useful very often, but the spiders in the DMG have that rule I think) or even the ability to climb on smooth surfaces and surfaces beyond vertical. If you don't give them anything else, you could maybe let them weaponise the silk (e.g. to restrain people, or to make nets, or to make silken barriers between trees or walls, or even to make a lasso like bolas spiders do).

However, I'd also reduce the arachnophobia penalty a little bit. It would make sense for it not to apply to elves or people who traffic with fey (maybe interpret this mechanically as people who speak sylvan or elvish) because they would have had some exposure to fey spiders before. It could also cease to apply to people after knowing the spider for at least a day. E.g. if you try to sweet-talk a stranger they're obviously going to be a bit unnerved by the giant spider in front of them, but if you try to sweet-talk the noble your party is travelling with and who is used to your presence you might get somewhere.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-14, 02:39 PM
I agree with the general consensus that this needs a little boost. Quick thoughts:

Love the concept (obviously). Are there any pictures on GIS that match your headcanon? I'd like to see what you see.

None of the mechanical abilities scream 'cheerful'... not sure how you could implement that.

As you have it at the moment, Arachnophobia affects "most humanoids". I shouldn't need to point out how unsatisfactory that is. Also, you could put something in about intimidation checks, though straight proficiency doesn't quite fit.

Could you see the silk/webbing being weaponised? Not as much as the Web spell, but maybe some ability to web someone up (restrained condition) as a bonus action if you've got them grappled?

I'm ok with the walking speed mechanic. It feels realistic, at least. And you've only got one binary variable to keep track of: scrunched or spread, so it's not that challenging.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 02:47 PM
However, I'd also reduce the arachnophobia penalty a little bit. It would make sense for it not to apply to elves or people who traffic with fey (maybe interpret this mechanically as people who speak sylvan or elvish) because they would have had some exposure to fey spiders before

I think that this makes a lot of sense, and I totally agree. I love the flavor of this race, by the way, eleazzaar :D

eleazzaar
2015-07-14, 04:48 PM
(I also doubt that reach is worth two points, but I think being fey might be worth more than 0.5, especially since NPCs are unlikely to use spells that affect fey differently.)

I think I'll give them heavy weapons back, which should increase the value of reach, but I certainly could be persuaded that it is worth less than 2.0.

I've checked the spells-- being fey is pretty much equivalent to humanoid in what it exposes you too. Nobody (who is paying attention) is accidently going to waste a "humanoid only" spell on the spiders.

And the 8 significant spells that target fey but not humanoids aren't fey specific, but target a swath of non-humanoids, so don't think they are much less likely to be prepared. The 0.5 is for immunity from charm and sleep.

You could give them the ability to walk unhindered on webs (not useful very often, but the spiders in the DMG have that rule I think) or even the ability to climb on smooth surfaces and surfaces beyond vertical. If you don't give them anything else, you could maybe let them weaponise the silk (e.g. to restrain people, or to make nets, or to make silken barriers between trees or walls, or even to make a lasso like bolas spiders do).
I'll put some thought into "weaponizing" the silk, and make them immune to webs certainly if they can produce any.

However, I'd also reduce the arachnophobia penalty a little bit. It would make sense for it not to apply to elves or people who traffic with fey (maybe interpret this mechanically as people who speak sylvan or elvish) because they would have had some exposure to fey spiders before. It could also cease to apply to people after knowing the spider for at least a day. E.g. if you try to sweet-talk a stranger they're obviously going to be a bit unnerved by the giant spider in front of them, but if you try to sweet-talk the noble your party is travelling with and who is used to your presence you might get somewhere.

Very good point. New trait:

Arachnophobia. Humanoids have an instinctive aversion to giant spiders. But many humanoids who spend time around giant fey spiders are surprised how quickly the spider’s winsome personality removes their unease. You have disadvantage on Charisma (Performance) or (Persuasion) checks targeting humanoids who are unaccustomed to the presence of both fey and giant spiders.

Love the concept (obviously). Are there any pictures on GIS that match your headcanon? I'd like to see what you see.
I have no goal of making fey creatures in particular, but so quite a few of the more interesting 3.5 races that I want to convert ended up being fey. And this idea was weird enough that fey seemed the best match.

What is GIS?

None of the mechanical abilities scream 'cheerful'... not sure how you could implement that.[/QUOTE]
By the fact that "Arachnophobia" isn't much worse? :smallwink: I'm fine with it just being fluff. I wanted to avoid another "misunderstood loner" race.

I also really wanted to avoid another +2 Dex race, which is what you would expect a spider to be, but might go with a more versatile +1 to three stats-- adding STR or CON to the mix.

I love the flavor of this race, by the way, eleazzaar :D

thanks!

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 04:50 PM
Google Image Search.

eleazzaar
2015-07-14, 05:02 PM
Something like this guy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickadel/19315639005/in/photostream/).

Or google "jumping spider close up". To my eye, a lot of those little guys are quite charming, though this spider would need longer legs for the reach feature.

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 05:04 PM
Ech! Spider!

I am not a fan of spiders. I do like this race, though.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-14, 05:07 PM
I have no goal of making fey creatures in particular, but so quite a few of the more interesting 3.5 races that I want to convert ended up being fey.

That's because fey are inherently superior. To everything. :smalltongue:

As an aside, I've got a new clutch of fey races I want to PC-ify myself. Possibly coming out for review next week?!

Edit, after seeing your image: ah, that is kinda cute. I think it's the two big eyes - it looks like it's wearing those dorky glasses that everyone loves nowadays...

weaseldust
2015-07-14, 05:11 PM
I think I'll give them heavy weapons back, which should increase the value of reach, but I certainly could be persuaded that it is worth less than 2.0.

2 is the cost of a feat; I'm thinking no-one would take a feat that only gave an extra 5ft reach, but I could be wrong.

I've checked the spells-- being fey is pretty much equivalent to humanoid in what it exposes you too. Nobody (who is paying attention) is accidently going to waste a "humanoid only" spell on the spiders.

And the 8 significant spells that target fey but not humanoids aren't fey specific, but target a swath of non-humanoids, so don't think they are much less likely to be prepared. The 0.5 is for immunity from charm and sleep.

Sorry, by that I just meant that spells like Protection from Good and Evil are unlikely to be used by NPCs, but if you weren't really putting much weight on them anyway it's not such a big deal.

Arachnophobia. Humanoids have an instinctive aversion to giant spiders. But many humanoids who spend time around giant fey spiders are surprised how quickly the spider’s winsome personality removes their unease. You have disadvantage on Charisma (Performance) or (Persuasion) checks targeting humanoids who are unaccustomed to the presence of both fey and giant spiders.

It sounds a bit vague, but I suppose that's a matter of taste. I appreciate the use of 'winsome' in this context.

I was imagining something coloured like a crab spider, e.g. this (http://img01.deviantart.net/e31e/i/2010/193/a/e/crab_spider_by_shinofour.jpg), or this (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/The_Green_Crab_Spider_(Olios_milleti_).JPG), or this (http://cdn1.dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/clown-crab-spider.jpg). Is that about right?

eleazzaar
2015-07-14, 05:22 PM
As an aside, I've got a new clutch of fey races I want to PC-ify myself. Possibly coming out for review next week?!
I'll be looking for them.

Edit, after seeing your image: ah, that is kinda cute. I think it's the two big eyes - it looks like it's wearing those dorky glasses that everyone loves nowadays...
Large eyes are pretty much the core of cuteness.

2 is the cost of a feat; I'm thinking no-one would take a feat that only gave an extra 5ft reach, but I could be wrong.
Well, it might not be the optimal feat, but I don't think it is the worst. While it is much better than 3.5, there still is a wide spread of power in the feats.

I was imagining something coloured like a crab spider, e.g. this (http://img01.deviantart.net/e31e/i/2010/193/a/e/crab_spider_by_shinofour.jpg), or this (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/The_Green_Crab_Spider_(Olios_milleti_).JPG), or this (http://cdn1.dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/clown-crab-spider.jpg). Is that about right?
Yeah, those are the right sort. My intention was to list a variety of attractive colors, with each spider having different patterns, but I see that wansn' made clear.

eleazzaar
2015-07-15, 05:11 PM
2nd Draft now in the OP.

The Tyler
2015-07-15, 07:33 PM
I absolutely love this concept. I'm just now starting to get into 5th edition, so I can't speak well on balance, but it certainly looks balanced. I'd allow it in a campaign as is.

Out of curiosity, is there a source you were using for the point rating? I'm not familiar with it.

Also, had you considered expanding the concept beyond just weaver spiders and making subraces for other varieties?

eleazzaar
2015-07-15, 07:39 PM
Out of curiosity, is there a source you were using for the point rating? I'm not familiar with it.

1 point is roughly equivalent to 1 Ability Score Increase. James Musicus did the first research in assigning point values to racial traits (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit), and while it isn't official, it is a good place to start. Of course with a race like this, many of the traits are unprecidented, so I just have to compare to existing traits and feats to arive at a point value. It is somewhat subjective, and indeed a race can be "more than the sum of it's parts", but it is a way to evaluate a race and communicate how much value you place on different traits.

For context, the way I count things, PHB & EE races are between 4.5 and 7.25 points, with the average at about 6 points. When creating races I aim for between 5.5 and 6.5, usually at the higher side of that-- but how they stack up against PHB & EE races is more important than raw numbers.

Also, had you considered expanding the concept beyond just weaver spiders and making subraces for other varieties?
Actually I hadn't. Silk wasn't originally a big part of this race. But it could work. What do you have in mind?

The Tyler
2015-07-15, 08:27 PM
1 point is roughly equivalent to 1 Ability Score Increase. James Musicus did the first research in assigning point values to racial traits (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit), and while it isn't official, it is a good place to start. Of course with a race like this, many of the traits are unprecidented, so I just have to compare to existing traits and feats to arive at a point value. It is somewhat subjective, and indeed a race can be "more than the sum of it's parts", but it is a way to evaluate a race and communicate how much value you place on different traits.

For context, the way I count things, PHB & EE races are between 4.5 and 7.25 points, with the average at about 6 points. When creating races I aim for between 5.5 and 6.5, usually at the higher side of that-- but how they stack up against PHB & EE races is more important than raw numbers.

Thanks for the explanation. I think it's a great thing, even if subjective. It helps to illustrate the designer's thinking behind the race. :)

Actually I hadn't. Silk wasn't originally a big part of this race. But it could work. What do you have in mind?

Honestly, nothing greatly specific. Just a vague thought of a jumping spider or hunting spider subrace. I'll think on some suggestions for them.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-15, 11:15 PM
New version looks awesome! The various silk abilities are really cool and flavorful. They make a spider PCfeel way different, which is essential.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-16, 03:30 AM
Yes, the changes are good.

One thing: if the silk has hit points, it should also have an AC.

eleazzaar
2015-07-16, 04:45 AM
I'm thinking 3 subraces:

Spinner: with reach and silk

Tree Spider: with reach and spider climbing

Short-legged Spinner: with silk and spider climbing

Not a very conventional way to break up a race, but I anticipate Reach and the Silk to be objectionable to some DMs, and would like to make a version anybody could use.

Yes, the changes are good.

One thing: if the silk has hit points, it should also have an AC.

Do you really have to roll to hit an inanimate object? I was modeling that after rope which had a HP listed but no AC.

I have no DMG so don't know the standards for objects.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-16, 04:57 AM
Do you really have to roll to hit an inanimate object? I was modeling that after rope which had a HP listed but no AC.

a) You might be firing a crossbow at it to sever it at a distance.

b) AC does, to some extent, reflect the 'armouredness' of an object. The DMG gives ACs for all sorts of materials... rope is 11, ice is 13. I'd probably give silk a 12.

c) When you attack an immobilised creature in melee, you get advantage. I would apply the same rule to objects, while noting that in some situations, ropes might be wont to swing and sway, thus making them harder to hit.

eleazzaar
2015-07-16, 11:41 AM
On second thought I'll just make one subrace. I don't want to depart from the peaceful vegitarian fluff established to make hunting spiders.

Which do you think cautious DMs are more likely to balk at, the Reach trait or the Silk Spinner trait? I'll make the second subrace omit that.

The Tyler
2015-07-16, 07:24 PM
I'm thinking 3 subraces:

I'd suggest one of four options:

Static DC, say DC 11 like rope or whatever number you like
Ability Score dependent DC, maybe 10 + Ability modifier
Proficiency-based DC, 10 + Proficiency bonus
What appears to be the Standard DC, 8 + Proficiency bonus + Ability modifier

I like the last option best I think. It stays in line with how other abilities are handled. Maybe Constitution based?

On second thought I'll just make one subrace. I don't want to depart from the peaceful vegitarian fluff established to make hunting spiders.

Which do you think cautious DMs are more likely to balk at, the Reach trait or the Silk Spinner trait? I'll make the second subrace omit that.

I'd guess probably the Silk Spinner, because it offers so much and it's different. Reach is already a part of the game and a normal character can gain reach. The spider is penalized for trying to increase its reach further, so that'd be less of a concern.

As for subraces, a hunting spider could work even within the fluff. There are mobile plant creatures. That said, a tree spider with reach and spider climbing would make a great subrace. You could give them a jump bonus, and cover the jumping spider concept.

I do like the fact that you've avoided the natural attack and poison route.

eleazzaar
2015-07-18, 11:03 PM
And Above is draft 3.

I found a description of the Giant Spider silk so used that.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-08-01, 06:18 PM
Ninja_Prawn just brought this to my attention for my own Good-aligned arachnid themed thread, (link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431385-Good-alignment-Lloth-and-drow-variant-setting-Thoughts-suggestions-interest)). I can't offer much right now as far as suggestions for you (too little sleep) but I think my musings and your race will mesh well.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-01, 09:25 PM
Wanted to swing by and say that this is looking fantasic. I would love to give this a try, but it requires a dm who is willing to let me roll one out. Anyway definitely have your compendium with this guy earmarked .

jkat718
2015-08-01, 09:32 PM
Wanted to swing by and say that this is looking fantasic. I would love to give this a try, but it requires a dm who is willing to let me roll one out. Anyway definitely have your compendium with this guy earmarked .

If you'd like to see one in play, JNA is playing Skitarii, a Fey Spider Shadow Monk 3 in one of the campaigns I'm running. See my signature for the link (it's the last campaign in the list).

eleazzaar
2015-08-04, 10:19 AM
If you'd like to see one in play, JNA is playing Skitarii, a Fey Spider Shadow Monk 3 in one of the campaigns I'm running. See my signature for the link (it's the last campaign in the list).

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

And i'd be very interesting on your assessment of the race once you have a decent backlog of encounters.