PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What CR would this monster be?

Oryan77
2015-07-14, 01:22 PM
What would the CR of this monster be? It was written for 3.0 but I'm interested in using it for 3.5. I'd just like to figure out the XP that it would reward per it's CR.

Tentacle Beast: CR - ; Large construct; HD 8d10; hp 44; Init +2; Spd 20 ft., climb 20 ft.; AC 18 (touch 11, flatfooted 16); Atk +10 melee (1d6+5, 8 tentacle rakes); Face/reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft./10 ft.; SA Constrict; improved grab; SQ Construct traits, damage reduction to/+t; AL N; SV Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +3; Str 20, Dex 15, Con - , Int - , Wis 12, Cha 3.

Constrict (Ex): A tentacle beast deals 2d8+5 points of damage with a successful grapple check against Medium size or smaller creatures.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the tentacle beast must hit a Medium-size or smaller opponent with a tentacle rake attack. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.

Construct Traits: Immune to mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects; cannot heal damage; not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain; not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less; cannot be raised or resurrected; darkvision 60 ft.

atemu1234
2015-07-14, 01:47 PM
I'd say 5-7.

Flickerdart
2015-07-14, 01:55 PM
You have its HP wrong - a Large Construct gets +30HP as a function of the Construct type.

I'd say CR6 is a good one - it's basically a hydra that can't fast heal but has robot bits instead. Getting hit by it isn't too dangerous, since it only grapples at +15 (+4 size, +5 STR, +6 BAB). A 6th level melee character probably has about the same numbers (+6 BAB, +6 STR). It's very easy to hit and kill with its low AC.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-14, 03:34 PM
4-5. Its speed is quite low and it doesn't seem to have any particularly stealthy options. Getting the party in a position to threaten them could be challenging. I'd call it CR 4 and bump that number up if you use it in a place where its climb speed becomes relevant, or it can guarantee getting a full attack or two off. Without that, the party shouldn't have too much difficulty outmaneuvering it and plinking it to death.

Sagetim
2015-07-15, 12:44 AM
I would say CR 6, maybe 7 for a group of normal players. For people who know what they're doing, the CR would stay the same but you would probably need to throw a few of them at the players and use some tactics to give them a challenge.

I'm defining normal as players who don't go trolling through books to find the bestest feats to use for everything and have stuck to a basic build of some kind and are using an elite array for their stats. So, you know, I'm assuming they might have a +3 strength, probably a +1 weapon. So bearing in mind those kinds of limitations, I think a CR 5 or 6 is good for a baseline with this thing, and awarding xp as if it were a CR 7 would be if this thing is just steamrolling your players. Which might be the case if they're level 4 and this is a boss type encounter.