PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Trap-maker's Kit

Snig
2015-07-14, 03:14 PM
Hey guys i'm trying to implement a trap-maker's kit into my game. Something similar to a poisoners kit or thieves tools. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could use this to craft simple traps without getting too complicated or overpowered? simple traps might be like a crossbow rigged with tripwire, bear traps, leg snares, net traps, tripwire + falling object, etc.

The kit could consist of cords, wires, springs, and so forth.

Any ideas to help put this in game?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-14, 11:17 PM
When i wanted to make a trappy kobold for my game i mentioned this, he made the same suggestion that im going to make here.

Set up a pack that works like the pre-built packs (dugeoneer, burglar, diplomat, etc.)

Make a list of basic supplies that go into it and set that aside so when a player or dm re-stocks this custom pack they know what goes into it. I usually make the DCs int or wis based for the attack rolls and saves.

As far as poisons and tinkers kits go, don't really worry about it too much unless the player is doing a rush job. We allow for the training rules that allows them to grab more proficiencies. We also tend to reward thoughrough backstory with those kinds of things.

DragonLordIT
2015-07-15, 01:41 AM
The kit would certainly contain the items described before, as for using it ingame you could make a list of "generic" traps he is able to prepare with the kit (as for poisons you have a list of things you can create). You could create some "simple" traps he can set up in a short rest using ball bearings, caltrops and hunting trap from the player handbook as reference cause they do minor effects and a list of "bigger" traps he could create in downtime using the generic rules for traps in the DMG.