PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fixing Flame Blade So It Doesn't Waste Your Spell Slot (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 04:11 PM
Flame Blade bothers me, both in how it scales, and in it's limited availability. I'm attempting to fix it, and I think I've got a decent fix.

Elemental Blade
1st level evocation

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: self
Components: V, S, M (a leaf of sumac)
Duration: 10 minutes

You evoke a blade of destructive energy in your hand.
This blade is similar in size and shape to a scimitar, and
it lasts for the duration. This blade is made out of either
fire or lightning, and the damage type is chosen when you
cast the spell. The damage type does not change until you
cast this spell again. If you let go of the blade, it disappears,
but you can evoke it again as a bonus action. You can use
your action to make a melee spell attack with the blade. On
a hit the target takes 2d6 damage.

The blade blade sheds bright light in a 10 foot radius
and dim light for an additional 10 feet.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell at 2nd level
or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for every level of
spell slot above 1st.

This spell appears on the Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard spell lists.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 04:38 PM
Does this look like it would be an appropriate fix?

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 05:11 PM
Seems pretty powerful for first level. 3d6 damage a turn for 100 turns from a level one spell slot? (Yes I know no combat lasts 100 turns, but still.)

Maybe drop it to 2d6.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 05:35 PM
Seems pretty powerful for first level. 3d6 damage a turn for 100 turns from a level one spell slot? (Yes I know no combat lasts 100 turns, but still.)

Maybe drop it to 2d6.

Hmmmmmm...I might drop it. I was already thinking about that.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 06:02 PM
Maybe drop it to 2d6.

Did it. It is now 2d6, is that properly fixed now?

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 06:05 PM
It's basically a magic greatsword now, at level 1, and scales pretty well. I'd do some testing on that scaling, see how powerful it is, and then you can call it balanced.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 06:18 PM
It's basically a magic greatsword now, at level 1, and scales pretty well. I'd do some testing on that scaling, see how powerful it is, and then you can call it balanced.

I will do that and get back to the forum.

At 9th level, it will be dealing 10d6, or the same as a 5th level Fireball. I personally am not worried about that, mainly because it's still an attack roll, not a saving throw.

It's the equivalent of getting Sneak Attack as a rogue, and doesn't stack with Sneak Attack.

Flashy
2015-07-14, 09:12 PM
Valor Bard is where this gets iffy. Two 6d6 attacks per round from a fifth level slot is pretty nuts, especially when you're stacking it with other buffs since it doesn't seem to be concentration. This would pretty much be a must have for the first round of Magicial Secret spells on any Valor Bard ever.

Deepbluediver
2015-07-14, 09:19 PM
Actually, if it's the equivalent of a Greatsword doesn't that make it a bit OP? What's to stop someone from casting the spell twice and using 1 in each hand?

JNAProductions
2015-07-14, 09:23 PM
Valor Bard is where this gets iffy. Two 6d6 attacks per round from a fifth level slot is pretty nuts, especially when you're stacking it with other buffs since it doesn't seem to be concentration. This would pretty much be a must have for the first round of Magicial Secret spells on any Valor Bard ever.

It doesn't let you take the Attack action. It lets you make an attack as an action.

Deepbluediver
2015-07-14, 09:27 PM
It doesn't let you take the Attack action. It lets you make an attack as an action.
Ah, ok. I think that answers my concern as well.

As some advice, OP, you might want to clarify EXACTLY how the spell functions with regards to normal melee combat. It might seem obvious to you when writing it, but small ambiguities lead to hours of argument and/or broken mechanics.

Flashy
2015-07-14, 09:51 PM

Ah, of course, my mistake.