PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.X] Unarmed Flavor

Modeztia
2015-07-14, 04:14 PM
Hey, I'm currently starting a 3.5 campaign with some friends and I've decided to tryout something new since Ii've almost always played a ranger-like build. So I'd like some help/suggestions on building a monk flavored PC.
We're starting at 1st Level, and in the long run eventually get to 20. I was thinking him to be able to be the frontman, and be able to control the battlefield since the party is a bard, a cleric, a rogue and a wizard. Making use of Tripping, and maybe Overruninng. But also with a decent damage. DM is open to almost any 3.5 book except Tome of Battle, Oriental A. and Psioncs. But We usually use PHBs and the Complete Handbooks.

Just off the top of my head I should say a was picturing a Cleric/Monk and then looking to RP into a Fist of the Forest/Sacred Fist but am not sure of it. DM gives great importance to RP your character and its growth so it'll be very difficult for a Fighter to suddenly make a cleric dip and so.

The race I chose is Lizard Folk of MMI, I'm aware +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int isn't the best, but well I'd like to give it a try. DM accepted taking away its 2 racial HD, skill points and saves, but leaving the +1 LA and the rest.

Current Build:

Str:15/Dex:14/Con:15/Int:10/Wis:18/Cha:10 (DM point buy variant )

I started with a Lvl 1 Cleric with no deity and Strength and Time domain [These are open to changes, was considering Travel Domain for its feat]. And with Spontaneous Domain Casting Variant (Str)so i can Enlarge myself when it's needed. I have Improved Iniciative(Time Domain feat), and haven't chosen creation feat.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Troacctid
2015-07-14, 04:59 PM
Definitely keep the Time domain, I'd say, since it will eventually let you Permanency the Enlarge Person, which is pretty nice. Also, it's just a strong domain overall.

I don't know if a lizardfolk makes sense for an unarmed strike build—why would they take Improved Unarmed Strike instead of just attacking with their natural weapons? Also, how do you have a +1 LA if you're starting at 1st?

Modeztia
2015-07-14, 05:09 PM
Definitely keep the Time domain, I'd say, since it will eventually let you Permanency the Enlarge Person, which is pretty nice. Also, it's just a strong domain overall.

So you suggest i stick with Cleric at Least until I have permanency? Because I think I could detour a bit, since there's a wizard in the party and I figure he'd get it far sooner.

I don't know if a lizardfolk makes sense for an unarmed strike build—why would they take Improved Unarmed Strike instead of just attacking with their natural weapons? Also, how do you have a +1 LA if you're starting at 1st?
LizardFolk was more of a personal choice, I know its not the ideal race but well, wanted to try it out. I'm I'm looking to get the best out of it, 'cause I'm aware powergamming is off the table with Lizardfolk as a race.

+1LA and 1st level is because DM Lets us start with our class but, makes us wait until we get to 3rd level to get our second class level. Dont know if I made it clear (english isn't my native language).

Troacctid
2015-07-14, 05:48 PM
So you suggest i stick with Cleric at Least until I have permanency? Because I think I could detour a bit, since there's a wizard in the party and I figure he'd get it far sooner.
If you're doing the unarmed strike thing then you might as well go into Sacred Fist and take all 10 levels. Cleric 4/Monk 2/Sacred Fist 10 is the standard entry; Cleric 5/Monk 1/Sacred Fist 10 would be even better, if you're using fractional BAB.

Keep in mind that Sacred Fist has a couple of dysfunctions. Mainly, the text and table disagree on the spellcasting progression--according to the table, you don't get casting at levels 4 and 8, but according to the text, you get casting at every level. The default rule in cases like these is for the text to take precedence over the table, but you should clear it with your DM to be sure.

The main advantage of casting the Permanency yourself is that it can only be dispelled by someone who is higher-level than you were when you cast it. But if your Wizard is willing to learn the spell, then getting him to do it would still be fine, sure.

Modeztia
2015-07-14, 06:46 PM
Hey thanks for the answer, one last thing: Think i should abandon
Fist of the forest all together? I mean it adds Con to AC and makes a the unarmed dice one category bigger.

Troacctid
2015-07-14, 07:10 PM
Fist of the Forest is not worth losing two feats and a level of casting. I would skip it.