PDA

View Full Version : Orcus Challenge

True believer
2015-07-14, 08:42 PM
hello members ...

Is there any way for a paladin of Orcus to be able to cast at least one necromancy spell ??? I am interested in ways that dont lead me to pick another class such as feats templates variants etc.

Thank you :D

ps.
all material expect dragon magazines is aloud

Aegis013
2015-07-14, 10:01 PM
Champions of Valor has the feat Sword of the Arcane Order that lets you cast Wizard spells from your Paladin spell slots if you have sufficient Int. That should let you cast a necromancy spell as long as you have at least 11 Int. You may need to buy or borrow a Spellbook to do so.

Flickerdart
2015-07-14, 10:10 PM
If you are a high enough level of paladin to cast spells and have the necessary Wisdom, the following paladin spells are necromancy spells: Blood of the Martyr, Death Ward, Favor of Ilmater, Favor of the Martyr, Ghost Companion, Manifest Life, Mark of Doom, Mark of Justice. Sadly, all but Ghost Companion (2nd and also 3.0 setting specific material) and Mark of Doom (2nd) are 4th level spells. So Mark of Doom (in the PHB II) is your best bet.

If not, you can get the Faerun feat Magical Training which gives you access to cantrips. Disrupt Undead and Touch of Fatigue are both from the Necromancy school.

True believer
2015-07-15, 07:54 AM
Thnx for your effort guys , much appreciated but unfortunate neither of these two choices works. Sword of the arcane order is related to specific gods and i must worship orcus , and the magical training lets you cast certain cartrips not all of them and the ones that lets you cast are not necromancy :(

Inevitability
2015-07-15, 08:04 AM
If you are playing a Paladin of Slaughter, you gain some alternative spells on your spell list, including necromancy spells like Cause Fear or Inflict X Wounds. Note that you'd give up most of the tasty paladin spells from splatbooks, so know what you're doing.

Flickerdart
2015-07-15, 09:20 AM
and the magical training lets you cast certain cartrips not all of them and the ones that lets you cast are not necromancy :(
That's the 3.0 version. The updated one in Player's Guide to Faerun lets you cast any three cantrips.

Also, what's wrong with using Mark of Doom?

Urpriest
2015-07-15, 09:24 AM
Are you actually a Paladin? Or a variant, like a Paladin of Slaughter?

Andezzar
2015-07-15, 10:23 AM
Are you actually a Paladin? Or a variant, like a Paladin of Slaughter?My thought exactly. Orcus does not have paladins.

Urpriest
2015-07-15, 12:46 PM
My thought exactly. Orcus does not have paladins.

Oh, no, he definitely does, usually for breakfast. :smalltongue:

True believer
2015-07-15, 07:25 PM
Actually i want to create a character that combines two prestige classes: Warrior of darkness (BoVD) and Thrall of Orcus (BoVD) and i thought that The paladin of Tyranny would be a perfect fit flavor-wised.

My actual problem is that my dm rules that divine spells don't categorize in spell schools so in order to full fill the "Special: Must be able to cast a spell of the Necromancy school" requirement i have to get some arcane casting one way or another. As much i tried to change his mind i failed :(

Another solution i found is the Hexblade but to tell you the truth i don't like his flavour :(

My goal is to start entering these two prestige classes as soon as possible in order to get the most out of them. In fact i am looking for early entry tips for this 2 prcs!!

Thank you again :D

Renen
2015-07-15, 07:34 PM
Well that's a silly ruling. This means clerics can't cast [healing] spells and thus don't qualify for any feats/class features specifically targeting those, and generally miss out on any feat that targets spell schools, even those specifically designed for clerics.

Feats like Augment healing. It works SPECIFICALLY on conjuration healing spells, which are pretty much all divine. But can you use it? Nope.

Or a feat like imbued healing. One of requirements for it is having a domain. Which is funny because to use it with this DM a Wizard would have to somehow find arcane healing spells to even apply it to, and then dip cleric to get a domain to qualify for the feat.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-07-15, 09:09 PM
Actually i want to create a character that combines two prestige classes: Warrior of darkness (BoVD) and Thrall of Orcus (BoVD) and i thought that The paladin of Tyranny would be a perfect fit flavor-wised.

My actual problem is that my dm rules that divine spells don't categorize in spell schools so in order to full fill the "Special: Must be able to cast a spell of the Necromancy school" requirement i have to get some arcane casting one way or another. As much i tried to change his mind i failed :(

Another solution i found is the Hexblade but to tell you the truth i don't like his flavour :(

My goal is to start entering these two prestige classes as soon as possible in order to get the most out of them. In fact i am looking for early entry tips for this 2 prcs!!

Thank you again :D

Why not Chaotic Evil? Your master is Chaotic Evil. Kinda funny though if you die LE you'll go to hell, not the abyss. Anyways how about a Gish tell you get the desired PrC than?

True believer
2015-07-15, 09:28 PM
Anyways how about a Gish tell you get the desired PrC than?

Excuse me but i am not a native speaker in English and i don't understand the meaning of this sentence. Could you be a little more specific?

Ty

Renen
2015-07-15, 11:00 PM
I'm also not a native speaker (though I consider my English to be above the level most know it at) and I don't get it either. I suspect he accidentally switched one word for another.

Red Rubber Band
2015-07-15, 11:27 PM
I suspect he meant: Anyways how about a Gish until you get the desired PrC?

Trying a different gish class until you get to the prestige class you're aiming for.

Andezzar
2015-07-16, 12:10 AM
My actual problem is that my dm rules that divine spells don't categorize in spell schools so in order to full fill the "Special: Must be able to cast a spell of the Necromancy school" requirement i have to get some arcane casting one way or another. As much i tried to change his mind i failed :(That is unfortunate. What have you tried? He is clearly not using the rules:
The spells available to characters are listed and described in Chapter 11: Spells. The description of each spell is presented in a standard format. Each category of information is explained and defined below.

[...]

SCHOOL (SUBSCHOOL)
Beneath the spell name is a line giving the school of magic (and the subschool, if appropriate) that the spell belongs to.
Almost every spell belongs to one of eight schools of magic. A school of magic is a group of related spells that work in similar ways. A small number of spells (arcane mark, limited wish, permanency, prestidigitation, and wish) are universal, belonging to no school.So this applies to all spells, not just those that are not divine.
Now all we have to do is find a spell that is a divine spell and not universal. That applies to nearly all divine spells. Here are a few examples:
Death Knell (PHB p. 217) is a divine necromancy spell, and Miracle (PHB p. 254) is a divine evocation spell, that isn't even made available to arcane casters in other books.

With such a DM I'd be very wary what other weird houserules he would spring on the players, and consider whether following them is worth it. If I couldn't convince such a DM, at least I'd make a different character that works under those rules.

[Off topic]Now I'm trying to figure out how to exploit the rule that divine spells are not in any spell school.[/Off topic]