PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds

Last_resort_33
2007-05-01, 10:16 AM
Does anyone here use Fantasy Grounds.

I was considering buying it so that I can play with my old games group from high school. Who here has experiance with this, and who can compare it to OpenRPG. I tried open RPG but I HATED the interface and I just couldn't get on with the game.

Also, is there anybody here who has it that would be willing to play a game with me, either as a player or a DM? obviously it would be better if I was using it with more than one games group.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-01, 03:54 PM
...what's an Open RPG/Fantasy Grounds? Some sort of internet roleplaying chat system? I'm somewhat intruiged.

Jacob Orlove
2007-05-01, 04:53 PM
I've heard very good things about FG, especially in terms of the interface. It's much more intuitive and easy to use than OpenRPG, apparently. It certainly looks better, from the screenshots I've seen, but that's not necessarily saying anything.

Dhavaer
2007-05-01, 05:36 PM
I've tried to use the FG demo, but it didn't go so well, at least in part because there wasn't anything I could find to give a clue as to its purpose.

So can someone tell me what the thing does? Or is supposed to do?

TheThan
2007-05-01, 05:56 PM
I use it, I’m currently playing shackled city over the net with a few friends. We’ve only done one session but it’s been fantastic, but then again I’ve got nothing to compare it to either.

If you decide to get it I’ll talk to my Dm and see if she’ll let you play. We’re still first level (and in need of a cleric), so character creation won’t be too much of a pain.

edit
PS our sessions are scheduled for noon to 6pm PST on Saturdays. I dunno if that’s a problem for you since you’re in England and all.

Epiphanis
2007-05-01, 09:01 PM
Fantasy Grounds (http://www.fantasygrounds.com) is good, but I think Klooge (http://www.kloogeinc.com) is better in almost every technical way.

Fantasy Grounds, however, is better marketed and has a larger community supporting it, so it is easier to start up a game on it when you aren't bringing your own players.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-02, 02:07 AM
I've tried to use the FG demo, but it didn't go so well, at least in part because there wasn't anything I could find to give a clue as to its purpose.

So can someone tell me what the thing does? Or is supposed to do?

It's purpose is to emulate an actual Tabletop for tabletop roleplaying. The character sheets are partly automated, The DM can design stories and drag and drop text into the chat window. It has interactive dice that everyone can see. it's go a mapping function that the DM can mask the whole map and then 'unmask' using a sort of "draw a squiggly line that gets filled in" tool. special lists for NPCs and a certian amout of the MM and PHB for quick reference and to drag and drop to the appropriate places.

@ TheThan: This saturday my RL group are playing a "catchup" D&D session as there's a kind of "Prom" type thing that 4/5 members (one being me as my gf has decided I'm going) of our group are attending. But the following saturday sounds grand if the DM doesn't mind it... I'd be happy being a cleric!:smallamused:

And 6pm is like 11am for me which is great