PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How does Souleater work for Non-casters?

whisperwind1
2015-07-14, 09:38 PM
Hey all, one of my players wants to become a souleater, but is from a martial class. Problem is some of the Souleater's features have a DC tied to their primary casting stat. Also they get spells per day as if they had leveled up in the casting class they belonged to before becoming a souleater. So can non casters become a souleater, and if so, how do I calculate the DCs for their skills?

IZ42
2015-07-14, 09:47 PM
Saving throws for spell-like abilities revert to Charisma if not stated otherwise. Currently looking for the ruling on that.

whisperwind1
2015-07-14, 10:02 PM
Saving throws for spell-like abilities revert to Charisma if not stated otherwise. Currently looking for the ruling on that.

I see, bu does that mean the spells per day thing is rendered useless?

IZ42
2015-07-14, 10:06 PM
I see, bu does that mean the spells per day thing is rendered useless?

Pretty much. But that's the only part of the PrC that really relies on Casting.

grarrrg
2015-07-15, 12:31 AM
So can non casters become a souleater

Yes.
There are actually 4 PrC's that 'advance spellcasting' but don't strictly require it to take the class.
Souldrinker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/souleater) (actual name of Souleater, weird copyright law stuff) is the easiest to qualify for.

Of the four, Spherewalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/spherewalker) gives you a "pity spell slot" each level.

As for what 'casting stat' to use, either assign one, or let them pick.
Or just tell them "it counts as zero because you have no casting stat".
Or make them dip something, as the spellcasting is a large portion of the Souldrinker's Power, and I really have no idea (other than "flavor") why in the heck a non-caster would even want levels in a 1/2 Bab, d6HD, 2 Skills/level class to begin with. Seriously. What are they hoping to 'gain' here? There's probably some other MUCH better choice we can throw them at.

Psyren
2015-07-15, 11:15 AM

It's in the Bestiary (B1 pg. 304):

"The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Charisma modifier. Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order."

IZ42
2015-07-15, 11:22 AM
It's in the Bestiary (B1 pg. 304):

"The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Charisma modifier. Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order."

Danke, Psyren. I couldn't find it on the pfsrd for some reason, so I gave up.