PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragon Lord - New Warlock Patron (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 09:40 PM
When developing this subclass I looked at what the other Patrons gave the warlock and tried to balance this accordingly.

Warlock Features – 1: something unique; 6: something defensive; 10: something defensive; 14: way to affect one combatant

Fey – 1: Charm/Fear; 6: Teleport & Invisibility Short/Long rest; 10: immune to Charm, turn Charm back; 14: long range Charm Short/Long rest

Fiend – 1: Temporary Hit Points; 6: +1d10 to any roll Short/Long rest; 10: resistance damage type 1 per Short/Long rest; 10d10 Psychic damage Short/Long rest

Great Old One – 1: Telepathy 30ft.; 6: Disadvantage/Advantage Short/Long rest; 10: resistance to Psychic damage, enemy dealing Psychic damage takes same amount you do; 14: permanent Charm on one target until you end it

The Elder Wyrm (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HypRCyUP)

Thoughts on this? Is it balanced or has the Great Old One screwed up my head so that I only think it's balanced?

Submortimer
2015-07-14, 09:47 PM
You might want to consider Chromatic Orb instead of Inflict wounds.

Howling winds should be a once/short rest ability.

Mind of the drake should be a more "fear aura" type ability. Make it an action, and effect everyone that can see you within 30 ft.

Should be fine other than that.

If you want some comparison, here's my take on the Draconic Warlock. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420006-Warlock-Patron-Io-God-of-Dragons&p=19366972#post19366972)

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 10:12 PM

Howling winds should be a once/short rest ability.

Mind of the drake should be a more "fear aura" type ability. Make it an action, and effect everyone that can see you within 30 ft.

Should be fine other than that.

If you want some comparison, here's my take on the Draconic Warlock. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420006-Warlock-Patron-Io-God-of-Dragons&p=19366972#post19366972)

Okay, I fixed the Howling Winds feature. I actually intended it to be a rest recharge.

Mind of the Drake is as a reaction because all I did was take the Archfey's Beguiling Defenses and make it "Frightened" instead of "Charmed."

I actually saw your Dragon Warlock, and it was one of the things that inspired this. The only real issue I had with yours is that Io doesn't give out power.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 11:46 PM
Is there any lore out there (at least somewhat tied to D&D) for Dragons granting magic and power to an individual. My DM says that if I can find some I can use this. I tried to argue that the minor Dragon gods would be more likely to have Warlocks who stumbled onto their power, rather than Clerics. I figured that would be the easiest way to find lore, or go to the Cult of the Dragon. Any suggestions?

(My DM says it would take an Uber-Powerful dragon to feel like it needs a familiar.)

Another thought that I had was if anyone knows of anything similar to the Eldunarí from Eragon.

Submortimer
2015-07-15, 01:02 AM
In the Dragon Magic book for 3.5, there's a Draconic Vestige, Ashardalon. That's mostly what I can think of right now.

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 02:45 AM
In the Dragon Magic book for 3.5, there's a Draconic Vestige, Ashardalon. That's mostly what I can think of right now.

Thanks! I actually found the Dragon Pacts and the Pact-Bound Adept in that book, so I think I'll have a solid argument lore-wise to be able to use this :D

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 02:47 AM

Lol. I was actually the first person to comment on your version :D

Submortimer
2015-07-15, 02:52 AM
Lol. I was actually the first person to comment on your version :D

Ha! I didn't realize that. I guess we all just look at each others stuff on this board, don't we?

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 02:57 AM
Ha! I didn't realize that. I guess we all just look at each others stuff on this board, don't we?

That we do! I actually really enjoyed you version, and considered playing it when my group was going to start Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I ended up building a Rogue.

MReav
2015-07-15, 06:19 AM
Is there any lore out there (at least somewhat tied to D&D) for Dragons granting magic and power to an individual.

In DND 5E? Yes. They're called Sorcerers.

Draconic Bloodline, pg 102.

"...Most often, sorcerers with this origin trace their descent to a mighty sorcerer of ancient times who made a bargain with a dragon or who might even have claimed a dragon parent... Any given sorcerer could be the first of a new bloodline, as a result of a pact or some other exceptional circumstance."

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 11:05 AM
In DND 5E? Yes. They're called Sorcerers.

Draconic Bloodline, pg 102.

"...Most often, sorcerers with this origin trace their descent to a mighty sorcerer of ancient times who made a bargain with a dragon or who might even have claimed a dragon parent... Any given sorcerer could be the first of a new bloodline, as a result of a pact or some other exceptional circumstance."

Huh...that almost makes it sounds like they are descended from a Warlock who would've made a pact with a dragon. It seems like dragons as a Warlock Patron are inherent to the world of D&D.

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 04:45 PM

I meant to respond to this earlier. I gave them Inflict Wounds instead of Chromatic Orb, to reflect what you would get if you were to combine the destructive tendencies of a dragon with the Necrotic inclinations of the Warlock. :)

JNAProductions
2015-07-15, 04:58 PM
Huh...that almost makes it sounds like they are descended from a Warlock who would've made a pact with a dragon. It seems like dragons as a Warlock Patron are inherent to the world of D&D.

Warlocks aren't really necrotic. They're following in their patron. I'd go with Chromatic Orb.

To respond to the quote, though... Dragons are oftentimes horny devils, with access to Shapechange and other polymorphic magic. I'm pretty sure it means directly descended, not from a Warlock.

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 05:34 PM
To respond to the quote, though... Dragons are oftentimes horny devils, with access to Shapechange and other polymorphic magic. I'm pretty sure it means directly descended, not from a Warlock.

They are in line with their Patrons, but most of the things that the Patrons do are associated with fear, or charming. I see (whether mechanically and lore-wise correct or not) charming almost as an extreme fascination, or infatuation with the person charming you. What terrifies and fascinates almost everyone? Death. Thus, I tend to (in my mind) associate Warlocks with Necromancy.

Dragons are like that, and I absolutely love them. I love the shapeshifting aspect of the dragons, and that makes for interesting lore and flavor for the Draconic Sorcerer, but it does also say that you can be descended from someone who's made a pact with a dragon.

MReav
2015-07-15, 05:35 PM
Warlocks aren't really necrotic. They're following in their patron. I'd go with Chromatic Orb.

No, the passage involving pacts doesn't involve direct draconic parentage, since the other half of the sentence offers direct draconic parentage as an alternative source of dragon magic.

DracoKnight
2016-03-29, 07:05 PM
Just wanted to update everyone on this! So I played it in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and it kept up with other players just fine, and didn't pull ahead of them. We had enough players in the group that my DM was able to ask one of them to play a Fiendlock, and I was on par with them the entire time. :smallbiggrin:

A completed PDF version of this subclass is available in my signature :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-07-25, 10:38 PM
Finally completed Rise of Tiamat, playing this, and it remained balanced the entire way, as far as my group could tell. I didn't outshine anyone at any level, and all of the abilities complemented the Warlock's base stuff without being so nice that there's no reason to play the other patrons. The only one that felt subpar in play was the 1st level feature, but I just had to keep reminding myself that it gave me a free cantrip (I love the hell out of thaumaturgy), an elemental damage resistance, and saved me an invocation (Armor of Shadows). Actually, it's not a lackluster feature at all. I don't know why it felt like it :smalltongue: So yeah...just wanted to update the forum! ^_^

Sir cryosin
2016-08-01, 02:35 PM
The first lv spell from it spell lost is chromatic orb an elemental blade. Is Elemental blade a spell that you came up with because I do not see it on any the books. Also if it supposed to be Elemental Bane well that is a 4th level spell

DracoKnight
2016-08-01, 05:43 PM
The first lv spell from it spell lost is chromatic orb an elemental blade. Is Elemental blade a spell that you came up with because I do not see it on any the books. Also if it supposed to be Elemental Bane well that is a 4th level spell

Ah, sorry, yes. It was in the original document, but not in the new one. I took it out because I'm making a splat book for my world, and it's in the book. Here's the spell (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByKdeLaO) :smallsmile:

Sir cryosin
2016-08-03, 01:44 PM
I like it and I'm asked my dm if I can play it but. Don't you think it feel a lot if not ripping out the dragon sorcerer?

DracoKnight
2016-08-03, 05:05 PM
I like it and I'm asked my dm if I can play it but. Don't you think it feel a lot if not ripping out the dragon sorcerer?

I don't feel it's ripping off the dragon sorcerer directly - the 1st level ability is *very* similar, and their 14th level abilities are the same - however, since they're both Draconic they're going to have similar abilities.

Having played both the Draconic sorcerer and the Elder Wyrm warlock, I have enjoyed both, and both play differently.

EDIT: further note: my group has since edited elemental blade to include acid, cold, and poison; this way it covers all the Draconic types.