PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Lost City of Barakus encounters

Atarax
2015-07-14, 09:45 PM
I'm running the module "The Lost City of Barakus" (d20). The players are getting into the side quest called The Wererat Warren. The module describes this side quest as being suitable for 1st- 3rd level PCs. But flipping to it, I see the encounter levels seem to be perilously high for 1st level characters. EL 2, EL 5, and EL 7? Sounds like a TPK. Is it just me? I realize this is a very specific question, but I figured it's worth a shot. Any help would be much appreciated!

Inevitability
2015-07-15, 07:52 AM
Don't have the adventure, so take these things with a grain of salt.

First, what is the optimization level of your players? Do they trivialize entire encounters with clever use of a Grease or Color Spray? Is the cleric throwing around Divine Metamagiced Persisted spells? Can your rogue reliable get off several sneak attacks per round? Or is your party makeup a venerable monk, a sundering fighter, a half-dragon paladin and an unoptimzed bard?

Furthermore, in what context do the encounters take place? Do the PC's have anything that could help them? Do they get opportunities for resting before or after the fights? Do the monsters only exist to kill the PC's or do they have goals that could be exploited?

Finally, what monsters do the encounters consist of? Certain creatures can be defeated easily, such as the roper, which despite being a CR 12 monster can be killed by some peasants with bows and axes.

Atarax
2015-07-15, 10:58 AM
Don't have the adventure, so take these things with a grain of salt.

First, what is the optimization level of your players? Do they trivialize entire encounters with clever use of a Grease or Color Spray? Is the cleric throwing around Divine Metamagiced Persisted spells? Can your rogue reliable get off several sneak attacks per round? Or is your party makeup a venerable monk, a sundering fighter, a half-dragon paladin and an unoptimzed bard?

Furthermore, in what context do the encounters take place? Do the PC's have anything that could help them? Do they get opportunities for resting before or after the fights? Do the monsters only exist to kill the PC's or do they have goals that could be exploited?

Finally, what monsters do the encounters consist of? Certain creatures can be defeated easily, such as the roper, which despite being a CR 12 monster can be killed by some peasants with bows and axes.

That's some impressive stuff. No doubt you could solo a red dragon with a properly optimized 1st level commoner.

So EL 5 and EL 7 vs. a 1st level party. Suicide?

razorback
2015-07-15, 11:14 AM
I ran that side quest years ago with a Crusader, Rogue, Ranger and Monk/PsyWar. I think they were second level. It was challenging but they were able to defeat the lot of them. Group wasn't optimized by any means.
I think I had the some questions as you and fluffed it with some extra encounters early on to get them from first to second before meeting the head wererat.

Atarax
2015-07-15, 02:12 PM
I ran that side quest years ago with a Crusader, Rogue, Ranger and Monk/PsyWar. I think they were second level. It was challenging but they were able to defeat the lot of them. Group wasn't optimized by any means.
I think I had the some questions as you and fluffed it with some extra encounters early on to get them from first to second before meeting the head wererat.

The party was able to narrowly survive the EL 5 encounter thanks to me ignoring the damage reduction 10/silver on the wererats. They aren't veteran players (thankfully) so I don't think they'll notice yet. But I need to figure out a way to make sense of that later. Maybe these weren't TRUE wererats. But the leaders are. Regardless, they'll most likely return to an inn to rest. Maybe I can waylay them with some fluff stuff before they return. Call me a novice for trusting the module's suggested level.

razorback
2015-07-15, 06:37 PM
Thinking back on it, it was the crusader mountain hammering past the DR and the glass cannon archers, ranger and rogue, keeping them pinned down. Someone in the group had a silver weapon, possibly the Crusader.
You can also add a treasure box somewhere that has a silver dagger or two if you think it will end a a TPK.

Inevitability
2015-07-16, 08:11 AM
That's some impressive stuff. No doubt you could solo a red dragon with a properly optimized 1st level commoner.

I know I'm just shamelessly promoting my own build, but I think this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365674-Madness-Tarrasquekiller-Slaying-the-Tarrasque-as-a-1st-level-commoner) is relevant.

Atarax
2015-07-16, 12:37 PM
I know I'm just shamelessly promoting my own build, but I think this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365674-Madness-Tarrasquekiller-Slaying-the-Tarrasque-as-a-1st-level-commoner) is relevant.

Ha! Do this on a large scale (allip factory): allip army. Rule the world!
P.S. I would not allow your devious manipulations of the rules anywhere near my table lol.