PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Tiger Tooth and Claw [3.5]

Maeglin_Dubh
2015-07-14, 11:41 PM
I saw it mentioned in a Swordsage guide that you can do some neat things with Kobolds. Namely, use unarmed attack-claw-claw-bite-tail or something like that as a Bloodclaw Master.

My question, since the guide didn't go into much detail, is how one does this specifically? Is Warblade or Swordsage the better route to go on this? I can see Swordsage being a bit better, with the Shadow Hand stances and some better defenses, but Warblade has better maneuver readying, if I recall correctly.

Darrin
2015-07-15, 10:32 AM
Straight Warblade 20, taking IUS at 1st, SUS at 3rd, and Snap Kick at 6th is pretty decent, but most folks throw a little Totemist in there for some of the natural weapon soulmelds.

Maeglin_Dubh
2015-07-15, 03:41 PM
So, no Bloodclaw Master? Just Tiger discipline maneuvers and stances? Maybe some Diamond Mind as well?

Ellowryn
2015-07-15, 05:29 PM
Swordsage has the largest amount of maneuvers known and readied of all the initiator classes, but to "balance" this they got the most horrible refresh mechanic (Full round action to get one maneuver back) which can easily be negated with the feat tax known as adaptive style. Swordsage into Bloodclaw Master isnt bad as it negates the two weapon penalty but the problem with the whole concept is that two-weapon fighting pretty terrible on any class that only has average BaB and no built in extra feats (two-weapon fighting is very feat intensive).

Totemist 2/Swordsage 13/Bloodclaw Master 5 is a pretty decent natural attack/unarmed fighter, it gets even better if are allowed to take the unarmed Swordsage variant.

Maeglin_Dubh
2015-07-15, 07:36 PM
So, a Swordsage has variety, but if you want to spam a single maneuver, it's better to go Warblade?

danzibr
2015-07-15, 07:54 PM
So, a Swordsage has variety, but if you want to spam a single maneuver, it's better to go Warblade?
Depending on the maneuver, it might be best to go idiot Crusader.

Maeglin_Dubh
2015-07-15, 09:30 PM
I'm going to go Warblade, since the idea of a Kobold Warblade is just dandy. I also much prefer their refresh mechanic, and all their maneuver mechanics in general.

What sort of Kobold special feats and tricks should I go for?
I know I want to get Pounce at some point, but what's the best way to do so?

All 3.5 books are open, but I don't want to go high-Op with this, just to avoid pushing out other players.

Stegyre
2015-07-15, 11:00 PM
Dragon Wings (RoDr): +10 jump, among other things; especially since you plan to specialize in Tiger Claw.

Two levels of Totemist, shape Landshark Boots: 4 claw attacks as a standard action for a jump check that becomes trivially easy for you to make.

One or two Incarnate levels, so you can shape those melds and pick up the essentia, would not hurt. (Shape Dissolving Spittle and indulge your black dragon fantasies.)

Warblade the rest of your levels, picking up the 3 Diamond Mind save manuevers.

Max Concentration and Jump, obviously.

At 9th level, take Double Chakra for your totem bind. My recommendation woudl be Manticore Belt for a ranged attack (because sometimes, you can't, or don't want, to get near a target).

-- That's how I'd do it. (In fact, it's how I've been meaning to do it.)