View Full Version : One wish

Dadoman7
2015-07-15, 12:01 AM
My dm is giving me a wish and ideas what I should wish for

Lorddenorstrus
2015-07-15, 12:09 AM

A ring of Infinite Wishes. Or a Candle of Invocation

That aside he could just be testing you to see if you'll be greedy and wish for personal richs or something to help the whole party. I've had that stunt pulled on me before.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-15, 12:11 AM
Candle of Invocation, definitely. Let the chain-gating begin!

AlexanderML
2015-07-15, 12:23 AM
To destroy the army that is attacking the city your in.

Sagetim
2015-07-15, 12:49 AM
a scroll of simulacrum for a solar. Then use it's 1/day wish spell like ability to hand out 15k or less magic items to your party like candy, use it's 20 levels of cleric casting to heal the party up and keep everyone out of dead town, and if someone does die, use that wish to get 25k of diamond dust that it can then use to cast true rez on them.

Granted, that's Suuuuuuuuer Cheesy.

I would wish for an item that lets me cast Hallow once per two days. Then use it to hallow an entire city gradually. Granted, you could get that from the simulacrum'd solar too...but...anyway.

Arbane
2015-07-15, 03:19 AM
Nothing. It is a trap. (http://americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw)

Mystral
2015-07-15, 03:42 AM

Get a magic item that benefits the whole group, and which is worth 25000 gold or less.

Specifiy that the item should appear in front of you, and that nothing but the item should appear in front of you, and that the item should only have the stated abilities and none other magical properties, for good measure.

JDL
2015-07-15, 03:47 AM
Better yet just wish for a non-magical diamond worth 25,000 gold pieces. Trade that item to purchase your own magical equipment or fund the creation of such. Plus the usual caveats such as the item not being taken from a vengeful dragon's horde etc.

Sagetim
2015-07-15, 03:50 AM
Get a magic item that benefits the whole group, and which is worth 25000 gold or less.

Specifiy that the item should appear in front of you, and that nothing but the item should appear in front of you, and that the item should only have the stated abilities and none other magical properties, for good measure.

Unless you want to move into the realm of 'the dm gets to make up dangerous **** explicitly' you have to keep magic items at a value of 15k or less. 25k is for nonmagical stuff, like a giant diamond, or a slab of gold or something. And I think it's implied that it's supposed to be one item, but if your DM is willing to go with an equivalent value of like items, you could maybe wish for 25,000 gold worth of chickens to fall on that army that's invading that city in that other thread. Chickens are 1 copper each...so, 100 copper to the gold piece...so 2,500,000 chickens in one wish? That might be so hilariously op that the the DM lets it work, then makes you clean up the mess.

Killer Angel
2015-07-15, 06:15 AM
If you wanna something not dangerous or problematic, and the DM is not looking too much at RAW, go for a thing ala "the first time I day, I want an immediate true resurrection"

OldTrees1
2015-07-15, 06:32 AM
This is one of 4 things:

1) Stylistic wish
This is your chance to get something you could not get another way. One example a player of mine did was "Any liquid that passes my lips becomes unholy water".

2) Solution wish
The DM put a puzzle/challenge before you and left a Wish as an emergency win route.

3) Power wish
The DM wants you to get a boost in power.

4) Monkey's Paw
Never say the words "wish", "want", "desire" ... again unless you foolishly but successfully disarm the Monkey's Paw.

Bronk
2015-07-15, 07:07 AM
Where is the wish coming from?

A wish from a scroll or an item may very well have XP restrictions on it, so you wouldn't be able to wish for a magic item.

The minimum XP cost for casting wish is 5,000 XP. When a wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay 5,000 XP or that cost, whichever is more. When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP

A wish from a creature's supernatural ability would not have any such restrictions however.

Also, are there any big obvious problems you think the DM might be intending you to use the wish for? That sort of wish probably wouldn't get twisted even if it was off the safe list.

Rubik
2015-07-15, 10:24 AM
There is no gp limit on magic items; instead, there's a surcharge in XP for items over 25,000 gp. If there is no XP spent on the Wish (via Supernatural Spell or similar), there is no surcharge, either.

The limit mentioned in the spell is only for nonmagical items.

Forrestfire
2015-07-15, 10:31 AM
Hold it, if you can.

Rather than wishing for a powerful magic item that might put you at a place stronger than where you're meant to be, level-wise, you should save that wish for when you really need a wish, rather than a safelisted wish. Wait for a time when it adds to the plot or is dramatically appropriate, and burn it then, but not any time before. Sure, it will probably be able to be twisted, but that makes for a better story than "I wish for a big item," in my opinion.

Psyren
2015-07-15, 10:37 AM
The best use of Wish is also the safest - Undo Misfortune. So I agree with Forrestfire.

If you must use it now, I'd go with "add to the powers of an existing item," i.e. one you already possess. That way you avoid wishing for something new and the spell plucking it from some antagonist's treasure vault or hoard.

the_david
2015-07-15, 10:58 AM
This is one of 4 things:

1) Stylistic wish
This is your chance to get something you could not get another way. One example a player of mine did was "Any liquid that passes my lips becomes unholy water".

2) Solution wish
The DM put a puzzle/challenge before you and left a Wish as an emergency win route.

3) Power wish
The DM wants you to get a boost in power.

4) Monkey's Paw
Never say the words "wish", "want", "desire" ... again unless you foolishly but successfully disarm the Monkey's Paw.

5) Gamebreaking Wish
Ends the campaign, don't do it! Wishing an important character was dead, destroying or getting your hands on a macguffin, etc.

noob
2015-07-15, 11:45 AM
If I remember well no matter what wish you do you are automatically sent in hell because the one giving your wish might use another language where each word means "I wish to go to hell" since there is no rule saying that wishes should be interpreted in the language of the player.(Yes 100% of the wishes you formulate instantly defeat you and it is raw and it have 0 rule twisting it is just that if someone gives a wish you must not take it because he can corrupt it in an extremely simple way no matter what you say)

Flickerdart
2015-07-15, 11:58 AM
Partial fulfilment clause means that there's no point in trying to hedge your bets this way.

Spartakus
2015-07-15, 12:04 PM
Wish for immediate knowledge what the Best idea for a wish would be. To be given at the next time you are given access to another wish

noob
2015-07-15, 12:16 PM
" Wish for immediate knowledge what the Best idea for a wish would be. To be given at the next time you are given access to another wish
You are sent in hell immediately or you receive an answer like "the best answer is refusing the wish because wishes can only send you in hell" and be then sent in hell.

Gabrosin
2015-07-15, 12:37 PM
" Wish for immediate knowledge what the Best idea for a wish would be. To be given at the next time you are given access to another wish
You are sent in hell immediately or you receive an answer like "the best answer is refusing the wish because wishes can only send you in hell" and be then sent in hell.

Some DM has clearly scarred this poor creature.

Psyren
2015-07-15, 12:45 PM
I'm confused, why Hell? Orcus lives in the Abyss. Please forgive me

Madbranch
2015-07-15, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, a player in my group once wished for: "I wish for [character's name], and those he deems his comrades, to have all of his possessions shielded from harm, including but not limited to; breaking, destruction, dispelling, negation, disintegration, theft, planar displacement and other detrimental effects, so long as he deems himself their owner. Without any negative, detrimental, unintended or otherwise unexpected consequences whatsoever."

I didn't bother to find a hole, and I think it's a great, if rather specific, wish, beneficial to whole party.

Flickerdart
2015-07-15, 01:15 PM
Hmmm, a player in my group once wished for: "I wish for [character's name], and those he deems his comrades, to have all of his possessions shielded from harm, including but not limited to; breaking, destruction, dispelling, negation, disintegration, theft, planar displacement and other detrimental effects, so long as he deems himself their owner. Without any negative, detrimental, unintended or otherwise unexpected consequences whatsoever."

I didn't bother to find a hole, and I think it's a great, if rather specific, wish, beneficial to whole party.
Really? "None of my stuff can be negated" sounds like a great wish to you?

Jay R
2015-07-15, 01:51 PM
The ideal wish is dependent on the exact situation. Without knowing details about the character, the party, their items, their current whereabouts, their quest, and their long-term goals, we can't come up with a great wish. Also, we should know a lot more about the DM's approach to the game.

Wishing for some form of overly-powerful item or ability is a bad idea. You can't get the DM to make his game less challenging. So wish for something to make it more interesting for you and the DM.

And often, you get the best results by leaving the exact form of reward up to the DM. "I wish the king would give us a reward commensurate with our success at retuning his captured daughter and ending the war."

With some DMs, you do better by asking for something you still need to earn. "I wish the dragon we're hunting will have a perfect item for each of us in his hoard."

But never attempt to use a wish to mess up the DM's plans.

Renen
2015-07-15, 01:56 PM

That would be scary, if the DM wasnt the one deciding to warp the wish so drastically. And if this happened to me, my next character would be the most broken character I can come up with, while staying 100% RAW, and avoiding all possible ambiguous phrases. As a punishment to a DM that tried to mess with me by giving me a wish and then insta-killing my old character.

Brookshw
2015-07-15, 01:57 PM
I'd wish for some context to in game events and dm's tolerance so I'd know what might be suitable for the wish I've now used.:smallbiggrin:

Mystral
2015-07-15, 02:13 PM
Partial fulfilment clause means that there's no point in trying to hedge your bets this way.

He says, wishing for a magic sword and having it appear together with its rightfull and angry owner.

Roog
2015-07-15, 02:57 PM
If I remember well no matter what wish you do you are automatically sent in hell because the one giving your wish might use another language where each word means "I wish to go to hell" since there is no rule saying that wishes should be interpreted in the language of the player.(Yes 100% of the wishes you formulate instantly defeat you and it is raw and it have 0 rule twisting it is just that if someone gives a wish you must not take it because he can corrupt it in an extremely simple way no matter what you say)

If every word means "I wish to go to hell", then what you have is not even a language.

noob
2015-07-15, 03:00 PM
"That would be scary, if the DM wasnt the one deciding to warp the wish so drastically. And if this happened to me, my next character would be the most broken character I can come up with, while staying 100% RAW, and avoiding all possible ambiguous phrases. As a punishment to a DM that tried to mess with me by giving me a wish and then insta-killing my old character. "
There is no warping of the wish only of the manuals: The one granting the wish does not have to interpret the wish in any particular language(never said in the description of wish) and so it can interpret it in a language where all the words means "I wish to be in hell" and it is basically a 100% legit interpretation of granting wishes(this is why people should always use miracles granted by gods who really loves them and never use wishes granted by people they do not know a lot)
Also please give a RAW definition of language who says that a language can not have all the words meaning "I wish to go to hell" maybe it is true but that words also have other meanings and that most of the time people interpret them as the other meanings but that when they want they can interpret it as "I wish to go to hell" and so this language allows information transmission but all words also have this meaning.

dascarletm
2015-07-15, 03:12 PM
Also please give a RAW definition of language who says that a language can not have all the words meaning "I wish to go to hell" maybe it is true but that words also have other meanings and that most of the time people interpret them as the other meanings but that when they want they can interpret it as "I wish to go to hell" and so this language allows information transmission but all words also have this meaning.

That is not a language based in any of the books. So if you want to homebrew such a language you may, but you are not going by RAW.
That's if we want to play the RAW-and-raw-alone game.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-15, 03:16 PM
Three things:
1) In absence of a D&D-specific definition of language, we revert to the common definition, which does not include an arbitrary amount of 'I wish to go to Hell's in a funky phonetics package.
2) In the presence of a D&D-specific definition of language, 'I wish to go to Hell'-speak is not listed as a language anywhere.
3) If you cast wish yourself, you don't have to say what you wish for. The spell has a verbal component (which you can remove with Silent Spell), but that does not require you to explicitize the desired result, just like shapechange does not require you to yell 'dragon!' if you want to be a dragon. If someone else casts wish on your behalf, you can use Diplomacy to handle the speaking. If your DM asks you to formulate what you want, that's strictly OOC, and subject to regular DM-player etiquette, only modified by the 'greater effects' clause in the wish text.

Renen
2015-07-15, 03:16 PM
There is no warping of the wish only of the manuals: The one granting the wish does not have to interpret the wish in any particular language(never said in the description of wish) and so it can interpret it in a language where all the words means "I wish to be in hell" and it is basically a 100% legit interpretation of granting wishes(this is why people should always use miracles granted by gods who really loves them and never use wishes granted by people they do not know a lot).

The one granting the wish is the DM. The DM is ALWAYS the one who grants wishes by controlling whatever NPC and using that NPC to say "I will grant your wish."
So if a DM decides its funny to screw with my by inventing a language where I wish myself into hell, then I will find it funny to destroy his campaign world with a wightpocalypce.

2015-07-15, 03:34 PM
Nothing. It is a trap. (http://americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw)

Ahem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?418500-Your-Wish-Granted-With-a-Twist-45-I-stab-Xihirli)

Let's clarify: this is the 45th thread (which is currently at 175 responses), and the previous 44 mostly reached the full 1500, or close enough. And every single post wishes for something while twisting the previous wish into a twisted amalgamation.

We have made something in the neighborhood of sixty thousand wishes...each and every one of them twisted to make the wisher suffer for their hubris.

This. Is. A. Trap.

Sagetim
2015-07-15, 03:50 PM
There is no gp limit on magic items; instead, there's a surcharge in XP for items over 25,000 gp. If there is no XP spent on the Wish (via Supernatural Spell or similar), there is no surcharge, either.

The limit mentioned in the spell is only for nonmagical items.

I'm wondering where I saw a wish spell that limited you to 15k with regards to a magical item then. Because I just looked up the spell in the d20 srd, and also in the player's handbook, to double check. Meanwhile in pathfinder it apparently has a 25k gold cost instead of a 5k xp cost.

falloutimperial
2015-07-15, 05:31 PM
Wish for something that would be interesting to DM for. IN RPGs, the best way to disarm a trap is to disarm your DM. Wish for something that will take work to access or something your DM would like to play around with. That's your best shot and your best shot of having some fun.

Roog
2015-07-16, 04:45 AM
"The one granting the wish does not have to interpret the wish in any particular language(never said in the description of wish) and so it can interpret it in a language where all the words means "I wish to be in hell" and it is basically a 100% legit interpretation of granting wishes(this is why people should always use miracles granted by gods who really loves them and never use wishes granted by people they do not know a lot)
Also please give a RAW definition of language who says that a language can not have all the words meaning "I wish to go to hell"

The RAW definition of language is spread across the PHB, and basically defines languages as the set of languages listed in various places in the rules.

Note that
You either know a language or you don’t.

This means that the creature cannot interpret your in any language, unless it actually knows a language where that is what your words mean. There are specific rules for learning languages, and these rules do not have a provision for creating new languages. None of the languages listed in the rules has all the words meaning "I wish to go to hell", so the idea doesn't work.

More seriously, when words are not defined in the rules, we use common English definitions, and a word system where all words are taken to mean "I wish to go to hell" is not a language in that context.

maybe it is true but that words also have other meanings and that most of the time people interpret them as the other meanings but that when they want they can interpret it as "I wish to go to hell" and so this language allows information transmission but all words also have this meaning.

As far as I can see the rules don't actually say that wishes need to interpreted at all. Creatures that can grant wishes, have specific abilities that are usually written something like the following:

1/day—grant up to three wishes (to nongenies only)
Note the italics. The pattern for D&D 3rd edition (excluding headings) is:
Spells, powers, spell-like abilities, and psi-like abilities, such as greater teleport, should be italicized. Other special abilities in themselves should not be italicized (even if they mimic a spell of the same name, such as a balor's true seeing ability). Names of magic and psionic items should be italicized, such as ring of wizardry II, and potion of bear's endurance. Nonmagical and nonpsionic items made out of special materials, such as adamantine breastplate should not be italicized.

If there is no further rules regarding the creatures ability to grants wishes, then they simply have the ability to grant other creatures wishes. There is nothing to say that the wish works in any way other than as the spell (except as noted elsewhere in the rules, such as the rules for spell-like abilities). The spell wish doesn't stat that the character must state what they wish for either. Just that "By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you". In fact, it the section about greater effects, the spell implies that its effects are based on your intent.

As foe the whole idea - the GM could just as well interpret any word you say when you play the game as meaning "My character punches himself in the face".
If they claimed that the rules allow the GM to interpret the players statements in whatever language the GM chooses, they would have more justification for doing that that you have for interpreting wishes this way.

#Apparently I'm very slow to post

Killer Angel
2015-07-16, 06:13 AM

Do you want to get rid of the player, too? :smalltongue:

Psyren
2015-07-16, 09:18 AM
@ the language stuff - just make the wish in Infernal, which is unambiguous. This won't let you wish for anything under the sun safely (don't forget, partial fulfillment) but this should nip any "and you wish yourself to hell" nonsense in the bud. Fiendish Codex 2:

THE INFERNAL TONGUE

Devils speak and write Infernal, a painfully rigorous language that formed spontaneously on Asmodeus’s stern lips when he landed at the bottom of the Pit. Best pronounced with a forked or wriggling tongue, Infernal uses a mathematically rigid grammar. Only one correct way exists to construct any given statement in Infernal. Thus, devils are quick to mock nonnative speakers. Except when in disguise, they find the urge to correct errors in spoken or written Infernal nearly impossible to resist.

It's basically the Lojban of the planes.

jiriku
2015-07-16, 12:16 PM
I'm wondering where I saw a wish spell that limited you to 15k with regards to a magical item then. Because I just looked up the spell in the d20 srd, and also in the player's handbook, to double check. Meanwhile in pathfinder it apparently has a 25k gold cost instead of a 5k xp cost.

I believe you're recalling the 3.0 version of wish. Greatly superior, IMO. Removing the hard cap on magic item value opened a terrible can of worms when combined with spell-like and supernatural wishes.

Jay R
2015-07-17, 08:40 AM
Wish for something that would be interesting to DM for. IN RPGs, the best way to disarm a trap is to disarm your DM. Wish for something that will take work to access or something your DM would like to play around with. That's your best shot and your best shot of having some fun.

Exactly. When dealing with any judgment call, go a direction that will appeal to the DM who's making the call. One excellent plan (when you have the information) is to wish for a magic item that you know he thinks is really cool.