PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Overanalyze something: Fury Road, Nux's Themesong?

golentan
2015-07-15, 02:10 AM
I would like, with your indulgence, to just completely overanalyze something. Nux is the second best thing about Mad Max Fury Road after Imperator Furiosa, but he's an easier character to judge in a lot of ways just because he's more spelled out. We may never know the full story of Furiosa's arc from kidnapped orphan to a Warlord's strong right arm to the leader of the band who brings him down (if you do know from tie in works, please don't tell me, I prefer to speculate blindly in some cases and this is one of them). We don't know where she set herself on the path of a hero, we don't know why, and we don't know how successful she may be as a savior of the Citadel. But Nux, we basically have his life story, including those pivotal moments where he chose to be more than what he was. And, he gives us a couple of the most memorable lines in the movie. One of my favorites: "Oh what a day, what a lovely day," however, is not merely his excitement at the upcoming fight and storm, it's actually a reference to his theme song, "Beautiful Day" by U2.

It's got his whole plot arc in it. Ranging from his fear of dying away from his ride and the fight (you're out of luck, and the reason that you had to care, the traffic is stuck and you're not moving anywhere) leaving his sickbed with the help of his bloodbag (You thought you found a friend to take you out of this place). Arguably the first line is even him discovering the cancer in his circulatory system (The Heart is abloom)

A brief moment of his fall and letting his goal escape (It's a beautiful day, sky falls you feel like, it's a beautiful day, don't let it get away), wandering the waste with Furiosa, Max, and the Wives with his life in tatters and passing through the wreckage of the green place that only exists in Furiosa's memories (you're on the road, but you've got no destination, you're in the mud, in the maze of her imagination), and the decision to return (You love this town, even if that doesn't ring true, you've been all over and it's been all over you).

His growing feelings for Capable and his realization that he can do more (touch me, take me to that other place, teach me, I know I'm not a hopeless case) a reprise of his earlier decision to seek glory and his feelings for Capable without the line implying failure/falling this time (It's a beautiful day, Don't let it get away, It's a beautiful day, Touch me, Take me to that other place, Teach me, I know I'm not a hopeless case) and then his final "Witness me" and gesture to keep going, to keep living, to keep fighting (See the world in green and blue, see china right in front of you, several more instructions to see the world)

Finally post mortem a reflection on what a good day it was (the chorus in a past tense) and "you don't need me, but you have me" with the closing phrasing (what you don't have you don't need it now, what you don't know you can feel it somehow)