The Matryoshka

"I've got no strings
To hold me down
To make me fret, or make me frown
I had strings
But now I'm free
There are no strings on me!"
- Pinocchio, Pinocchio

As a race, the Matryoshka are an oddity. While they are somewhat sparse, they are still numerous enough to count as a full race and not just isolated oddities. While it may be that there are dedicated creators of Matryoshka, as there are with the Warforged, a not insignificant number have come to life on they're own.

Physically, Matryoshka are quite small, often slightly shorter than halflings. Their physical features vary greatly from type to type, but they are almost always humanoid in shape. Despite being made of somewhat flimsy materials (wood, porcelain, straw, etc.), sentience seems grant them an odd heartiness. As well, due to their non-living nature, they never hunger or tire, and are very adept at being innocuous. Most find some form of work or profession in entertainment, but many find fantastic success as spies and assassins.

Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.

Age. As constructs, Matryoshka do not age, and are mature as soon as they become sentient.

Alignment. Matryoshka, as varied as they are, run the gamut of alignments: Raggedy are generally good, Bisque tend towards evil, and Gepettin are usually in between.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.

Size. Matryoshka are small creatures, usually barely breaking 3 ft. In height.

Living Construct. Matryoshka are constructs. As such, they do not need to eat, breathe, or sleep. Though they may not consume food, they may benefit from consumable magic items (potions, etc.). Additionally, you gain resistance to Poison damage.

Innocuous. Matryoshka are generally indistinguishable from non-living dolls of the same type. Because of that, they have learned to be very stealthy when required. A Matryoshka gains proficiency in Stealth, and has Advantage when attempting to hide amongst dolls, toys, or other similar objects.

Darkvision. Matryoshka have superior vision in dim light and darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it was bright light, and darkness as if it was dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Languages.Matryoshka can read and write common as well as one other language based on their creator's race (your choice)

Subraces

Gepettin
Gepettin are physically similar to marionettes, made mostly out of wood, with painted faces and carved clothing. Due to their construction, their limbs are quite flexible, and they are known to be fantastic dancers.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Clipped Strings. You gain the ability to manipulate your old strings, allowing you to use them to climb, attack, and restrain.
- You gain a Climb speed equal to your walking speed.
- While weilding a light melee weapon, you may add 5 feet to your reach with that weapon.
- You may grapple creatures up to two sizes larger than you.

Raggedy
Raggedy Matryoshka are usually a larger form of stuffy doll. Also commonly referred to as Plushies, Raggedy are any form of stuffed or soft doll. Though they often look humanoid, they may also look like animals, monsters, or any other form of anthropomorphic creature.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.

Adorable. Raggedy, before coming to life, were designed to be appealing to children. As such, they gain proficiency in Persuasion, and gain advantage on any such rolls with children and/or people that love cute things.

Stuffed with Fluff. Raggedy are filled with a lightweight, soft material. As such, raggedy have resistance to non-magical bludgeoning damage, and are immune to falling damage. Unfortunately, they are highly Vulnerable to fire damage.

Bisque
Bisque Matryoshka are a form of Porcelain doll, crafted with exacting specification and often luxurious clothing materials. Though they are designed to look as realistic as possible, they are often thought to be the most terrifying of Matryoshka, due to their lifeless visage. Though their faces are often very fragile, their construction is generally much more hardy than their brethren

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.

Terrifying. Your lifeless eyes and face tend to instill fear in people, often without even trying. You gain proficiency in imtimidation, and gain advantage on any such rolls where you are attempting to scare someone.

China Doll. Anyone who makes an insight check to determine your true emotions does so at disadvantage.

Child's Play. Bisque know that their small size and natural stealth lead to being very efficient stalkers. A bisque deals an additional 1d6 damage when attacking a creature who they have advantage against with a light or finesse weapon. They do not need advantage if neither you nor the creature has an ally adjacent to it.

Update: Formatted.

Debihuman
2015-07-15, 07:15 AM
Type and subtype if any are missing.

dragonjek
2015-07-15, 11:07 AM
You need to attach the 5E tag to this.

Also, none of your dolls are actual Matryoshka dolls. You should get a feat or something letting them stack tiny dolls in themselves, or... something. I don't know.

The phone formatting issue has a pretty simple solution--just send it to your computer and format it there.

I love the concept, but I haven't the faintest idea of how balanced it is.

Submortimer
2015-07-15, 12:48 PM
You need to attach the 5E tag to this.

I know. Can't attach tags on mobile, for some reason.

Also, none of your dolls are actual Matryoshka dolls. You should get a feat or something letting them stack tiny dolls in themselves, or... something. I don't know.

Well aware. It was just used to have a more convincing race name than "Doll People".

The phone formatting issue has a pretty simple solution--just send it to your computer and format it there.

Thank you, you are ever so helpful. /s

I love the concept, but I haven't the faintest idea of how balanced it is.

Yeah, neither do i. This was a commission, and a fist draft at that.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-15, 01:08 PM
Raggedy, before coming to life, were designed to be appealing to children.

I am twenty-six years old, thank you very much! :smallannoyed:

Ahem.

This is good! I like Stuffed with Fluff, and playing a construct has obvious advantages. Would it be OP to phrase Innocuous as per False Appearance ("While you remain motionless, you are indistinguishable from a normal, inanimate doll.") and drop the blanket stealth proficiency?

I'm not sure why they get darkvision... it might be more fun to give the Gepettin tremorsense and the Bisque infravision (like, it sees only your blood and nothing else).

Hmm... maybe carpenter's tools/cobbler's tools/potter's tools should be used to heal them, instead of healer's kits?

JNAProductions
2015-07-15, 02:21 PM
Yes! Doll people! Yes!

Thank you, Submortimer! One thing, though-the climb speed might be a bit much.

Tntjj
2015-07-15, 03:41 PM
You should give i china doll variant the ability to shank people with broken pieces of itself

JNAProductions
2015-07-15, 06:08 PM
So I made a kinda half-baked prestige class for it. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428098-The-Matryoshka-Prestige-Class&p=19538396#post19538396

It's... WIP, let's just say. But I felt the Matryoshka needed, well Matryoshka abilities.

Oh, also, this race should get some playtesting here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428099-5E-Children-s-Toys).

Qwertystop
2015-07-16, 12:31 AM
Hm. I haven't played 5e, so I don't have a clue how to do it, but I feel like wind-ups are an option this could do with. Can't help thinking that something neat could be done with the key, or winding down...

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-16, 03:25 AM
Hm. I haven't played 5e, so I don't have a clue how to do it, but I feel like wind-ups are an option this could do with. Can't help thinking that something neat could be done with the key, or winding down...

I agree. Maybe some kind of gnome-work marionette with an arithmetikal engine for a brain (+1 Int)?

Edit: as if by magic...

The grizzled theo matryoshka resemble bears, except that they are cute instead of menacing. These rugged, durable dolls are often passed from one generation to the next, allowing them to accumulate a great deal of wisdom. They are utterly dedicated to protecting their children, keeping a constant vigil over them as they sleep.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Brave. You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.

Comforting Presence. If any friendly creatures regain hit points during a short rest in your presence, they add 1d4 to the amount of hit points gained.

Requirements
Matryoshka Race
Level 5
Hit Die: d10

Level
Feature

Arthmetik Engine

Metal Body I

Lightning Discharge

Ability Score Improvement

Metal Body II

Arithmetik Engine. At level 1, your brain is replaced with a mechanical computer. Your Intelligence score increases by 1. Additionally, you always know the precise time and date and can instantly calculate the answer to any mathematical problem. You have advantage on any attempt to hit something with a ranged siege engine.

Metal Body. At level 2, some of your outer skin is replaced with metal plating. When you are not wearing armour, your AC is equal to 13 + your Dexterity modifier. By level 5, your internal components have also been upgraded and you gain resistance to psychic damage and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons.

Lightning Discharge. At level 3, you gain the ability to attack your enemies using powerful electrical discharges. When you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to deal lightning damage to the attacker equal to your clockwork marionette level + your Constitution modifier.

Wupper12
2017-11-17, 09:56 PM
Please add attacks!!! Planning to use this race in a campaign sometime soon.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-18, 02:04 PM
Please add attacks!!! Planning to use this race in a campaign sometime soon.

What do you mean by "attacks"?

It's cool that you want to use this race. There's actually a slightly updated version (https://www.patreon.com/posts/men-and-monsters-13576504) on our Patreon, which you can get access to for just $1. However, I feel I ought to warn you that it's probably not a good idea to revive threads that have been dead for over two years. It's against the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).