PDA

View Full Version : Is Quad-classed archer crazy?

tieren
2015-07-15, 08:10 AM
I am playing a ranger now and want to build a multi-class character. I'd like to go with a more magical archer than I believe ranger is giving me straight, but still be the champion of the forest hunter type.

I've been going over all of the possibilities such as:
ranger 13/fighter 4/rogue 3
ranger 9/rogue 7/fighter 4
fighter(EK) 13/ranger 4/cleric(war) 3

Thinking about what I want to be able to do:
My party role (as I see it) is primarily to pick mobs off the tank from the rear. I have sharpshooter feat for firing into melee and I want some rogue levels to get the sneak attack damage since he (the tank) will generally be within melee range of my targets to let me get that bonus.

Magically I want to be able to keep up hunters mark as much as possible and then toss some non-concentration spells for fun. In particular I want to be able to cast conjure animals sometimes.

What I am now considering is a ranger 5/druid 5/rogue 7/fighter 3 build.

With ranger 5 I get my extra attack, archery style, colossus slayer, and 2nd level ranger spells.
With druid 5 (circle of the land - grasslands) I get more spells and slots (including invisibility, haste, and conjure animals)
With rogue 7 I get expertise, cunning action, sneak attack damage, and evasion and uncanny dodge
With fighter 3 I get defense style, action surge, and either BM manuevers (probably more practical) or EK shield spell and weapon bond (sounds more fun to me).

I like the feel of the combo of abilities, I don't think it is a MAD build, I'd have 20 dex and decent WIS and CON. I'd be a good archer, and in my opinion more magical than if I just went straight archer. I'm even toying with doing arcane trickster with the rogue levels which takes nothing away from what I want for the archery and adds some neat flavor. I know my INT is terrible but I looked at Arcane Trickster and EK both from the perspective of just not taking spells with attack rolls or saves. I assume most of my low level slots will go to shield spell (regret having to drop to non-metal armor but shield should compensate).

Like I said I think I like it but I would appreciate feedback from more experienced players. Am I likely to regret not going deep in any class?

Xerlith
2015-07-15, 08:13 AM
Aren't your questions 5e? You're in the wrong subforum. Report the thread to the moderators to be moved.

tieren
2015-07-15, 08:17 AM
Yes I am sorry I didn't realize.