PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor 3E Warlock vs 5E Warlock, in pictures

foobar1969
2015-07-15, 01:09 PM
What I like best about the 3E Warlock:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/553/19537005459_9ef8c1fbc0_b.jpg

What I like best about the 5E (Tome) Warlock:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/409/19716448682_449cd5f527_z.jpg http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/324/19716448582_9c10d6ce09.jpg http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/555/19697431836_1fb554aaa9.jpg http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/327/19723629585_d6dfbb1f77.jpg

Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

Honest Tiefling
2015-07-15, 01:17 PM
Now whenever I think of 5e, I will imagine the entire party as kindergartners in dinosaur costumes casting spells and swinging weapons going 'grawr'.

Sith_Happens
2015-07-15, 01:22 PM
Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

Truly one of the most quotable sentences to ever come out of this forum.

Bad Wolf
2015-07-15, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I'd put that in my sig if the owner of the quote was okay with it.

foobar1969
2015-07-16, 06:42 AM
LOL, thanks. As Sirius Cybernetics Corporation would say, "Share and Enjoy!"

It would be pretty ridiculous for someone who posted a meme mashup to complain about being quoted.

GPuzzle
2015-07-16, 05:16 PM
Meanwhile, in 4e...

"Okay, you can make pacts with Demons, Fey, the very Stars, Historical Figures, stuff below the Earth, Magical Hitlers or natural disasters."

Inevitability
2015-07-17, 06:41 AM
Meanwhile, in 4e...

"Okay, you can make pacts with Demons, Fey, the very Stars, Historical Figures, stuff below the Earth, Magical Hitlers or natural disasters."

Don't forget the feat where you get any two of those. Ah, good old Extra Pact...

Ralanr
2015-07-17, 08:52 AM
Don't forget the feat where you get any two of those. Ah, good old Extra Pact...

So basically having an affair? Or are the patrons just kinky like that?

Anonymouswizard
2015-07-17, 09:05 AM

Ever since 5e came out I've just discovered more about 4e that I love and wish I had the chance to play it. Where is this feat!?

I wonder if it can be used to represent weird pacts, what entities would a give a Star/Fey pact or Fey/Infernal one?

Also, is there an abyssal pact?

Joe the Rat
2015-07-17, 09:20 AM
It's right there: Infernal. They use it to designate any denizens of the Lower 7. Quasits are a familiar option for Infernal Chainlocks.

Anonymouswizard
2015-07-17, 09:31 AM
It's right there: Infernal. They use it to designate any denizens of the Lower 7. Quasits are a familiar option for Infernal Chainlocks.

Sorry, was referring to 4e. I'm fine with Infernal being any of the lower planes in 3.X and 5e, but Demons and the Abyss are significantly different from Devils and Baator in default 4e (not that I don't plan to put the great wheel back in at some point, but I'm talking about options for when I'm a PC, not DM).

GPuzzle
2015-07-17, 09:46 AM
Ever since 5e came out I've just discovered more about 4e that I love and wish I had the chance to play it. Where is this feat!?

I wonder if it can be used to represent weird pacts, what entities would a give a Star/Fey pact or Fey/Infernal one?

Also, is there an abyssal pact?

Dragon Magazine. Twofold Pact. Dragon Magazine Annual 2009 has it IIRC, and many other fun things for Warlocks. Paragon (11+) level, however.

4e's a godsend to DMs because Points of Light, the default setting, has pieces of lore thrown around throughout everything, and it is very loose. There isn't one, but you can create one!

No, but there's a reffufflabe Dark Pact (with Underdark - aka where Drows live - entities), which came out in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide alongside the Swordmage, who's a Defender (alongside Wardens, Fighters, Paladins and Battleminds), Eberron brought us the Artificer, a Leader (alongside the Shaman, the Bard, the Warlord, the Cleric and the Ardent), and Dark Sum brought us Themes (mini-classes of sorts) and options for Shaman, Warlock, Battlemind and Fighter.

Segev
2015-07-17, 11:15 AM
I, sadly, lack the resources to do this, but I was hoping this would be a thread full of such pictures. Can I request that we put pictures labeled "3e, 4e, 5e" in juxtapositions to illustrate these three kinds of warlocks?

And, just because I'm contractually obligated (*cough*)...

Meanwhile, in 4e...

"...and their powers let you play a swordsage."

GPuzzle
2015-07-17, 11:17 AM
Explain, please, that flew over my head.

Segev
2015-07-17, 01:25 PM
Explain, please, that flew over my head.

If you meant me, it's just me expressing my frustration with 4e's class mechanics that make them all use the Martial Adept subsystem rathre than having a unique subsystem for a bunch of different sources of power. Feel free to ignore it; you can disagree that it's the case, even. This really isn't the thread to revive the debate. (For the record, I liked several things 4e did with the underlying core system mechanics. But their classes just...didn't feel like D&D anymore, to me, and so I couldn't have fun with them when I'm supposed to be playing a D&D game.)

Sith_Happens
2015-07-17, 03:43 PM
If you meant me, it's just me expressing my frustration with 4e's class mechanics that make them all use the Martial Adept subsystem rathre than having a unique subsystem for a bunch of different sources of power. Feel free to ignore it; you can disagree that it's the case, even. This really isn't the thread to revive the debate. (For the record, I liked several things 4e did with the underlying core system mechanics. But their classes just...didn't feel like D&D anymore, to me, and so I couldn't have fun with them when I'm supposed to be playing a D&D game.)

I thought you meant that 4e gave Warlocks (more) melee powers.

GPuzzle
2015-07-17, 04:00 PM
They only really have Eldritch Strike and the Sorcerer-King Pact powers in that regard.

They're great for Warlock|Leader Hybrids, though, especially Warlock|Warlords.

Anonymouswizard
2015-07-17, 04:26 PM
They only really have Eldritch Strike and the Sorcerer-King Pact powers in that regard.

They're great for Warlock|Leader Hybrids, though, especially Warlock|Warlords.

Lock Lords? :smalltongue:

GPuzzle
2015-07-17, 04:37 PM
Yes.

The most optimized build for that is Behind Her Blue Flame, which goes with a bit of Invoker as well. So it's Martial Leader, Arcane Striker and Divine Invoker mixed into one.

While 4e is more standardized, each class feels different to play, which is what I find more important.

foobar1969
2015-07-17, 04:47 PM
Agree that although it had faults, 4E offered quite a few improvements to the game, many of which have been quietly incorporated into 5E. Also, when 5E's first splatbook comes out, I hope it includes Warlord as a base class.

But I never liked the 4E Warlock, which is why I didn't make pictures about them.