PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simultaneous Death Saves

Torched Forever
2015-07-15, 08:17 PM
So, in my last session, a player was taking damage during each turn and under the effect of "Beacon of Hope". The player was at 0 hit points, receiving one failure each turn from the damage and receiving one success from the actual save. So, after three turns would he stabilize (3 successes) or die (3 failures)? If he stabilized then he would start making saves again next turn from the damage in an endless loop until he failed a death save w/ advantage. Thoughts?

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-15, 08:57 PM
I can't see a reason why this person would ever stabilize longer than one round for the reasons you mention.

I suppose their fate depends on which ends first, the spell or the damage.

Once a Fool
2015-07-15, 09:03 PM
Damage taken when a character is at 0 hp is converted to a Death Save failure (or two) upon taking it, even if the character was stable before taking the damage. Death Saves are rolled at the start of the dying character's turn. Therefore, assuming no failed Death Saves and only one source of damage, off-turn, no crits, no healing, and no 1s or 20s rolled on Death Saves:

1. Character takes damage and drops to 0 hp. Character is now dying.
2. At the start of character's turn, Death Save. 1 success, 0 failures.
3. Character takes damage, which is converted to a failed Death Save. 1 success, 1 failure.
4. At the start of the character's turn, Death Save. 2 successes, 1 failure.
...6. At the start of the character's turn, Death Save. 3 successes, 2 failures. Character is stabilized, but still at 0 hp and unconscious.
7. Character takes damage, which becomes a Death Save failure, and is now dying again. 0 successes, 1 failure.
...11. Character takes damage, which is converted to a Death Save failure. 2 successes, 3 failures. The character is now dead.

Torched Forever
2015-07-15, 09:15 PM
Death Saves are rolled at the start of the dying character's turn.

Character is stabilized, but still at 0 hp and unconscious.
Character takes damage, which becomes a Death Save failure, and is now dying again. 0 successes, 1 failure.
Character takes damage, which is converted to a Death Save failure. 2 successes, 3 failures. The character is now dead.
The damage was from a creature's stomach acids (homebrewed creature by our DM) and occurred at the beginning of the turn. While the stabilization = eventual death makes sense, but I do not believe stabilization would ever occur as the two sources occur at the same time.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-16, 03:39 AM
So, in my last session, a player was taking damage during each turn and under the effect of "Beacon of Hope". The player was at 0 hit points, receiving one failure each turn from the damage and receiving one success from the actual save. So, after three turns would he stabilize (3 successes) or die (3 failures)? If he stabilized then he would start making saves again next turn from the damage in an endless loop until he failed a death save w/ advantage. Thoughts?

If he takes damage when he's stabile, he gets one failure, if he had 2 failures and 2 succes, gaining a succes (stabile) and then taking damage (failure) he dies.

So, the character died.

Once a Fool
2015-07-16, 01:03 PM
The damage was from a creature's stomach acids (homebrewed creature by our DM) and occurred at the beginning of the turn. While the stabilization = eventual death makes sense, but I do not believe stabilization would ever occur as the two sources occur at the same time.

If it is truly simultaneous, then they should numerically cancel each other out simultaneously; at the same instant that one Death Save failure is gained, another is lost. Assuming a successful save. But a 1 or a 20 will still do what they do.

Daishain
2015-07-16, 01:13 PM
I don't think the rules are well equipped to handle a case like this.

My take? You've got one effect that continues to cause physical damage to a character that is already critically wounded. It is offset by an effect that essentially lets the character withstand the shock of preexisting wounds, but does not heal them.

Under such circumstances, Beacon of Hope might extend the time the character has, but it will not prevent the degradation of his physical state and eventual death. (Perhaps give him five rounds, 30 seconds. In that time, he'd likely have taken 10-15 acid damage depending on die, which fits with the 3.5 system of dying at -10 HP.)

I don't like ruling in favor of character death, but in this case it is the outcome that makes sense to me.

Once a Fool
2015-07-16, 02:05 PM
I don't think the rules are well equipped to handle a case like this.

My take? You've got one effect that continues to cause physical damage to a character that is already critically wounded. It is offset by an effect that essentially lets the character withstand the shock of preexisting wounds, but does not heal them.

Under such circumstances, Beacon of Hope might extend the time the character has, but it will not prevent the degradation of his physical state and eventual death. (Perhaps give him five rounds, 30 seconds. In that time, he'd likely have taken 10-15 acid damage depending on die, which fits with the 3.5 system of dying at -10 HP.)

I don't like ruling in favor of character death, but in this case it is the outcome that makes sense to me.

That's really not necessary, because

A) Beacon of Hope only has a duration of up to 1 minute and

B) failed saves are still possible with Beacon of Hope.

Slightly more than 1 in 5 (20.25%) Death Saving Throws made with advantage will fail anyway. Meaning that, by the time Beacon of Hope expires after ten rounds (if it was cast at the beginning of our scenario--and if concentration is never lost), the character should have 2 failures and will die at the beginning of its next turn (when it gains a third), unless that turn's non-advantage Death Save is successful (55% chance). In which case, the character still has two failures. Odds are, the character is dead within 12 to 14 rounds of first dropping, depending on whether or not a 20 shows up once or twice (odds are, it will).

Shining Wrath
2015-07-16, 03:25 PM
I'm going to vote this one as "Unclear, DM ruling required" - but unless the character is saved before Beacon of Hope wears off it is irrelevant anyway.