PDA

View Full Version : Background:Amnesia-ed Polymorphed Dragon should it be a Druid or Warlock

Dreamwren
2015-07-15, 09:05 PM
I have a background for a character I am going to create, which is a Polymorphed Dragon. How it works is my party ended up fighting a mind flayer who happened to have this elf-or half-elf slave girl with him, who is not mind mush but merely dominated. My character got her brain sucked out and died last session. So with the DMs permission I began to think of a new idea for a new character. I found some cool homebrewed backgrounds for a polymorphed dragon, fallen celestial, and an "unknown" so i blended them to create my dragon. My dragon was tricked by the mindflayer into casting true polymorph on itself, and it was then amnesia-ed by the mind flayer (how exactly is dm discretion I dont know, I cant remember). While unconcious he also put a blocker on any abilities that would bleed through to the new form (though im not sure there are any). So she used to be a Golden Dragon and her eyes are a bright gold to reflect this.

The background gives her proficiency in Perception and Persusian and the background feature is :Passive Admiration: Mortals are drawn to you for some unknown reason. They will offer what they can and help you to the best of their abilities
Which in game terms would give me advantage on charisma checks for people liking me and persusion rolls when trying to get people to help me. Which also plays nicely for as to why the party rescues her. Our party is not particularly benevolent. This may need tweaking but I dont feel its a crazy advantage. Some classes never have to worry about food unless its an inhospital location for themselves and up to 5 other people. Ive heard advantage averaged out to a +5 bonus, maybe thats incorrect. But a +5 bonus to people initally liking me, or wanting to help me if I need it doesnt seem so bad in comparison. It would not be ANY menial thing they would want to help me with, but genuinely needing help imo.

As for tools/languages they are special. Whenever you attempt to use a tool or try to comprehend a language you are not already proficient with, roll a d20. On a natural 20, you have recalled one of your pre-trauma talents and gain that proficiency; otherwise you must finish a long rest before you can make this check for the same proficiency again. Once you have recalled two proficiencies you no longer make this check. She only gets a total of two and this becomes void. Ergo not OP.

I rolled stats and got 17,16,16,16,15,11 (we rolled 4d6 took out the lowest die and then got to reroll one 1 for the entire set, I am crazy happy with my rolls)

For a wood elf druid her stats become 11 str, 18 dex, 16 con, 15 int, 18 wis, and 16 cha. She would be circle of the moon and be the shifter. This appeals to the whole dragon shifting thing. Why she is so good at it and why she is so comfortable in animal forms, forms mean nothing to her and shifting is as natural as breathing.

Or I could make her a Warlock Half-Elf with 11 str, 18 dex, 16 con, 16 int, 16 wis, 18 cha. She would have a pact with the fiend and have pact of the blade. She would be a finesse fighter focus warlock. She would make internal pleas to anything that would hear her while she was enthralled, and something answered her in being rescued by this party. Now she has fiendish powers and psuedo-worships their giver and her liberator.

Her personality trait is: I am completely obsessed with keeping my belongings with me at all times.
Ideal: We must help bring about the changes the gods are working in this world.
Bond: I told someone of a great darkness before my trauma. I must find them and remember what I said.
Flaw: I'm overly suspicious of strangers – for all I know I might not a be stranger to them, and why would they keep quiet about that?

Any ideas, or suggestions for the whole thing?

JNAProductions
2015-07-15, 09:29 PM
The background feature is too powerful. Just straight out advantage towards all humanoids? No.

Other than that, it just kinda reads as "Special Snow-Flake". That might just be me, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (It's probably just me.)

The Shadowdove
2015-07-15, 09:47 PM
The background feature is too powerful. Just straight out advantage towards all humanoids? No.

Other than that, it just kinda reads as "Special Snow-Flake". That might just be me, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (It's probably just me.)

It isn't horribly overpowered.

Some alternatives/advice might go a bit further...

I might say remove the 'like' part, and make it only when people can see that you are in need of assistance with information or finding things such as lodging or a hiding place (given the situation).

But not as far as to draw steel against someone at the risk of their lives else in most cases.

Gritmonger
2015-07-15, 10:49 PM
I'd just style it after the position of privilege of the noble background. No game roll effects, just a general deference and hospitality.

And the proficiency thing? No, just... nope. Way too overpowered. Become a bard and you get Jack-of-all-Trades - and that's only half proficiency in something you don't already have.

Something like what you describe I would not allow a permanent effect, it would have to be a limited feat (you have to take a feat to get extra languages or skills or tools - you'd have a rolling ongoing free feat for no cost).

Blow a feat slot, and you get "Draconic former life" - under duress you start speaking draconic, and can understand draconic. You also get a resistance to one energy type appropriate to your dragon type (like the 6th level sorcerer's ability) but it is not under your control. "Under duress" might count when you fail a will save, are dropped to half hit-points (the old-fashioned 'blooded'), and so-on, and the duress would probably count as ending when combat ends. This ability, once activated, has drained too much from your current form to activate again until you have had a long rest. Additionally, you must make another will save once the duress has ended to remember anything that occurred after it activated.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-16, 03:04 AM
I'll avoid commenting on my idea as to whether or not it's balanced (presumably the DM gave the green light so my opinion doesn't really matter) and instead endeavor to answer your question.

The Druid. Far and away the better fitting option and the more interesting one from a roleplay perspective. The Warlock's pact would honestly just muddy up the waters and prevent telling a clear and compelling story with your character.

That being said, what would fit far better imho, and which fits too good for me to ignore were I playing that character, would be a draconic bloodline sorcerer. Just saying.

Giant2005
2015-07-16, 03:19 AM

That is pretty much my feelings on the matter too.
Background Features are supposed to be just Ribbon effects with no actual mechanical advantage - yours has a clear mechanical advantage which makes it superior to all of the canon options. You should change it to some kind of extra effect when you succeed on a Charisma check, not advantage on gaining the effect. Something like being extra memorable - everyone that witnesses a successful charisma check will find their memories of you lingering 1d6x longer than they otherwise would.

As for the actual concept of the character, it doesn't really work - the minute your Eld gets knocked out, she will revert back to her Dragon form and obviously overshadow the rest of the party (Literally). I think it is better for her to be a crazy Elf that the Mind Flayer has tricked into thinking that she is a Polymorphed Dragon. It makes more sense, makes for a more interesting character, and really cuts back on the special snowflake syndrome.
If she is kind of crazy, I'd recommend Warlock so you can use Devil's Sight as justification for her unusual eyes. If you do insist on her being an actual Dragon, then I think Druid is the better option of the two but I'd also stick my vote out for Draconic Sorcerer as the most fitting, yet not-listed option.

Whyrocknodie
2015-07-16, 03:35 PM
Of those two, I'd vote for druid. Although I'd try and persuade you to go draconic sorcerer.

Easy_Lee
2015-07-16, 03:50 PM

It isn't just you.

OP, neither druid or warlock will do. Gonna need a custom Mary Sue class for that. Make sure it has full casting, extra attack (4), proficiency with all dice rolls (reroll 1-4), and advantage on all skill contests. A DC 10 constitution check is required not to attack this character on sight. Most Mary Sues are female orphans.

Or, you could make a character who isn't over-the-top wish fulfillment.

Edit: by the way, this was my gut reaction upon reading the phrase polymorphed dragon. Everything else in the OP reinforced that reaction.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-16, 08:48 PM
Edit: by the way, this was my gut reaction upon reading the phrase polymorphed dragon. Everything else in the OP reinforced that reaction.

My girlfriend wants to play a character at some point who is one of the oldest, most vile black dragons of all time. She was so powerful that even the strongest adventurers couldn't kill her--the best anyone was able to do was curse her into the form of a human child. Mechanically, the character will be a draconic sorcerer with a race mostly built off halfling.

Frankly, the idea of a polymorphed dragon being anything but a draconic sorcerer seems tough to justify.

Easy_Lee
2015-07-16, 10:01 PM
My girlfriend wants to play a character at some point who is one of the oldest, most vile black dragons of all time. She was so powerful that even the strongest adventurers couldn't kill her--the best anyone was able to do was curse her into the form of a human child. Mechanically, the character will be a draconic sorcerer with a race mostly built off halfling.

Frankly, the idea of a polymorphed dragon being anything but a draconic sorcerer seems tough to justify.

The idea of players wanting to play as an unkillable dragon makes me ill.

Elbeyon
2015-07-16, 10:25 PM
The idea of players wanting to play as an unkillable dragon makes me ill. Mechanics are the same. Sounds awesome to me. The rp has huge potential.

Adv on social skills is not a big deal at all. Compared to a background that gives you an npc(s) that can give you advantage on almost every skill use (help action) it's not bad. >.> You could hire a peasant for pretty much nothing a day for the same effect. In fact, bounded accuracy makes hirelings awesome.

Sigreid
2015-07-16, 10:25 PM
Draconic sorcerer does fit really well with the story you're telling, but I have to say that Warlock has the option of picking up true polymorph making it the one of the two options you presented that has the ability to eventually restore itself to it's full draconic glory.

Easy_Lee
2015-07-16, 11:32 PM
Mechanics are the same. Sounds awesome to me. The rp has huge potential.

Adv on social skills is not a big deal at all. Compared to a background that gives you an npc(s) that can give you advantage on almost every skill use (help action) it's not bad. >.> You could hire a peasant for pretty much nothing a day for the same effect. In fact, bounded accuracy makes hirelings awesome.

Firstly, playing as unkillable dragons and similar "Uber badass" types is typically something kids do. That's because it's childish. Those kinds of characters are boring, unrelatable wish fulfillment.

And advantage on social skills is a huge deal in campaigns that involve any social interaction (read: most of them). Advantage on anything is a big deal, because it encourages you to use it.

More importantly, it's one of those things that I can just see a loser in high school wishing he had. "Oh man, I wish people automatically liked me without me having to try." That's why I didn't like the character idea.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-16, 11:36 PM
Mechanics are the same. Sounds awesome to me. The rp has huge potential.

I agree. I don't think anything about it is really gamebreaking.. all sorts of mechanical things are pretty much replaced or given for free in the 'specifics' of other features. To varying degrees, of course. The feature is pretty much fine when you look at the others from a non-biased perspective.

The proficiencies? She just gets random ones instead of choosing. It's still the same amount of tool/skill proficiencies.. there's nothing broken about that.

From the player's handbook:

Feature: Position of Privilege
Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people o f high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

this one is really similar! In many situations, even better!

Feature: City Secrets
You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

double speed for all allies you lead+yourself in a city & less of a chance of getting lost in a city? Situationally, super helpful!

Variant Feature: Bad Reputation
If your character has a sailor background, you may select this background feature instead of Ship’s Passage.
No matter where you go, people are afraid of you due to your reputation. When you are in a civilized settlement, you can get away with minor criminal offenses, such as refusing to pay for food at a tavern or breaking down doors at a local shop, since most people will not report your activity to the authorities.

this one speaks for itself! And is super awesome!

Feature: Researcher
When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and
from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Knowledge is power, right?!

The other's often have similarly useful bonuses.

Whatcha think?

edito:

Now that I think of it...

This feature is weaker in a lot of situations too..

even if it's mechanical.. meaning the word ' advantage' is instant dislike for some people,

a lot of features give common situations where the dm often just forgoes the roll to allow the feature to work.

So instead of instant success, it has you roll with a higher chance of succeeding.

Again, and I may be interpreting this incorrectly, it's only when your character appears to be in need of assistance.

for example: You get advantage on the attempt to talk the peddler to hide her in his cart. But he sure as heck isn't going to pull out his pitchfork against the guard and stand in his way if the guard tries to stab you.

The lawful evil tyrant overlord isn't acceptable for an attempt with this feature.. however a neutral good king who is hesitant to house you while you're a wanted criminal in someone else s territory? Maybe...

JNAProductions
2015-07-16, 11:38 PM
The others are entirely up the DM's discretion outside minor bonuses. (Double speed through the city is nice, but won't often be truly helpful.)

This one is much, much better mechanically, because instead of letting the DM say "Yes, you can do it" it requires him/her to say "No you can't use your benefit here".

Elbeyon
2015-07-16, 11:47 PM
Firstly, playing as unkillable dragons and similar "Uber badass" types is typically something kids do. That's because it's childish. Those kinds of characters are boring, unrelatable wish fulfillment.

And advantage on social skills is a huge deal in campaigns that involve any social interaction (read: most of them). Advantage on anything is a big deal, because it encourages you to use it.

More importantly, it's one of those things that I can just see a loser in high school wishing he had. "Oh man, I wish people automatically liked me without me having to try." That's why I didn't like the character idea.Whether it's wish fulfillment and/or a wonderful rp opportunity will probably forever be out of our sight (unless the op posts back.) I've seen some wonderful things done with a dangerous, hidden past. This could certainly turn out to be the case. It's best not to be too judgey. A warning would be suitable, but I wouldn't declare the concept a sin.

Advantage on social skills isn't a huge deal when everyone can get advantage on most skills for almost nothing. Now, if advantage was in any way hard to get that might be the case. How often advantage will come up will depend on the players, but it is in no way hard to get if people try to get it.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-16, 11:51 PM
Whether it's wish fulfillment and/or a wonderful rp opportunity will probably forever be out of our sight (unless the op posts back.) I've seen some wonderful things done with a dangerous, hidden past. This could certainly turn out to be the case. It's best not to be too judgey. A warning would be suitable, but I wouldn't declare the concept a sin.

Advantage on social skills isn't a huge deal when everyone can get advantage on most skills for almost nothing. Now, if advantage was in any way hard to get that might be the case. How often advantage will come up will depend on the players, but it is in no way hard to get if people try to get it.

Reality also is that it's the DMs decision.

The character may actually fail at any insight roles provided when they... happen across a book in the dragon's horde speaking of the polymorphing abilities of powerful dragons.

In this case, they just play their entire life as a druid with Amnesia! No dragon anything involved. People just.. like to help her if she can't afford the price to stay at the inn.

Dreamwren
2015-07-17, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the input thus far. Good and Bad. I dont love the idea of making my dragon be a draconic sorceror. It would definitely work, but I feel a bit stifled like I'd have to force it. And I dont want to be a sorceror so theres that.

Im still torn to the whole warlock/druid thing. Access to true polymorph eventually is a very good point I didnt even think about. Im slightly partial to druid and just having a natural inclination towards shifting and how she is comfortable in any form.

To complain about unique snow-flakes or what-have-you seems silly. Its a fantasy game. Aren't you supposed to want to be unique and special? Why else would they be adventuring? Average people have average lives.

My character wouldnt necessarily ever find out she IS a dragon. She will likely never know who she was before the Mindflayer dominated her. And I'm ok with that. She will then be a wood-elf or a Half-elf and have her adventuring life. If she does find out, awesome! I now have a new huge goal to work towards or just have her understand and come to terms with as a person. Should she try to retake what she once had, or embrace what she has now? Sounds like pretty fun character development to me.

I personally dont think the advantage is a big deal. Seems to me that people are crying because I said "advantage" and listed where I thought they would be appropriate. Obviously it is up to the dm's discretion. So, if someone who doesnt agree with it ever wants to incorporate it into their game they can feel free to use the listed feature without my explicit explanation of use, then it would run pretty close to the noble one if not less so.

All in all, thank you guys again. Even if I don't agree with you, you make me think about why that is. So its useful! =D

Easy_Lee
2015-07-17, 12:36 AM
To complain about unique snow-flakes or what-have-you seems silly. Its a fantasy game. Aren't you supposed to want to be unique and special? Why else would they be adventuring? Average people have average lives.

It's hard to relate to someone who you have nothing in common with. I've met people who play these types of special snowflakes exclusively. Those people had one thing in common, which was that they personally had few redeeming qualities. Or, more often, they felt as though they didn't. So the special snowflake character was an escape from the person who they really were.

Right or wrong, I think character choice says a lot about a person, and I also think flawed / quirky characters are a lot more interesting. I play a lot of short races and lizardfolk. Perhaps that means I'm ****ing weird.

But I'm getting off topic. Advantage as a background feature is too strong. And saying you're secretly a dragon is saying that you're secretly X times stronger than almost everyone else / the other PCs. Amnesia is an overused character trait across all media. So I didn't find the character particularly inspiring. Now, a dragon who decided she hated all other dragons and chose to become a human permanently, deliberately forgetting she was a dragon, that might be interesting.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-17, 08:08 AM
The idea of players wanting to play as an unkillable dragon makes me ill.

Then I guess it's a good thing she's playing with a DM who doesn't shoot down character concepts on sight because he hates them.

Giant2005
2015-07-17, 08:25 AM
Then I guess it's a good thing she's playing with a DM who doesn't shoot down character concepts on sight because he hates them.

He really should though, although not because he hates them but because that character concept forces the game to assume rules that could come back and bite the DM in the ass.
That concept pretty much creates two rules which the DM must abide by:
1. A Polymorphed creature doesn't revert back to its normal state when hitting 0 HP.
2. A Polymorphed creature is capable of gaining levels as if it was a level 1 character, regardless of how powerful that Polymorphed creature is/was.

I don't think it is a good idea for a DM to allow his players to force their own rules into the game like that - that just leads to an absolutely chaotic game that cannot possibly endure as long as most would probably want to play it for. That second imposed rule condition is particularly dangerous and would eventually lead to some seriously out-of-control shenanigans.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-17, 08:49 AM
He really should though, although not because he hates them but because that character concept forces the game to assume rules that could come back and bite the DM in the ass.
1. A Polymorphed creature doesn't revert back to its normal state when hitting 0 HP.
2. A Polymorphed creature is capable of gaining levels as if it was a level 1 character, regardless of how powerful that Polymorphed creature is/was.

I don't think it is a good idea for a DM to allow his players to force their own rules into the game like that - that just leads to an absolutely chaotic game that cannot possibly endure as long as most would probably want to play it for. That second imposed rule condition is particularly dangerous and would eventually lead to some seriously out-of-control shenanigans.

There's no reason at all that has to be the case. We all know there's magic beyond that which exists in the books, so it's a simple proposition to say it was different magic that caused this to occur and not have it get out of hand.

Maybe if she was a powergamer, I'd be worried about this. But she's an RPer first and foremost, one of the best ones I know, and I trust her.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-17, 10:37 AM

Many people through the thread have seemed to miss that this is a TRUE Polymorphed creature (whose duration has well exceeded the hour, obviously, and whose transformation is permanent). Not much of a permanent transformation if it ends when the creature hits 0 HP. As to the second point, I don't see how the players could possibly abuse that, since they only have control over a creature if the DM allows that to occur, and NPCs can have whatever race and level characteristics the DM wants. Since they won't have access to true polymorph themselves until 17th level at the earliest, I just don't see how it could come back to bite them.

I'll also point out the difference in verbiage between true polymorph and shapechange / wildshape. True polymorph does not indicate that class based features are retained, and does indicate that the game statistics are replaced by the new form. So, the process would go like this:
1) You true polymorph a storm giant into a goblin.
2) the goblin gains 10 levels as a barbarian
3) You true polymorph the goblin into a storm giant. The goblin is now a Storm Giant (with default stats for his race, regardless of what they were before) and no class levels or features of any kind.
How exactly does one exploit that?

Though actually, that does point out the one area where there is a flaw in the backstory. As a creature true polymorphed into an elf, the stats should be 10 14 10 11 11 11, with a +1 based on the subclass. PCs represent extraordinary members of a race, True Polymorph specifically turns them into an average member of that race. Personally were someone in my campaign to have such a backstory, they'd have the stats that go with it, both for consistency and as a hint as to their origin. I can understand a DM not doing so, but then it highlights how they're not really a true polymorphed member of another race, they're just a PC elf with that as a backstory.

Dreamwren
2015-07-17, 02:45 PM
Though actually, that does point out the one area where there is a flaw in the backstory. As a creature true polymorphed into an elf, the stats should be 10 14 10 11 11 11, with a +1 based on the subclass. PCs represent extraordinary members of a race, True Polymorph specifically turns them into an average member of that race. Personally were someone in my campaign to have such a backstory, they'd have the stats that go with it, both for consistency and as a hint as to their origin. I can understand a DM not doing so, but then it highlights how they're not really a true polymorphed member of another race, they're just a PC elf with that as a backstory.

True Polymorph doesn't say average in the spell description.. So why not be an exception creature for that race? It says that the "target's game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statsitics of the new form. It retains its alignment and personality". So you could say that it would be average, but I dont think it would have to be as per the spell.

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 02:49 PM
The thing is, you can't specify "Polymorph into an exceptional elf". You just polymorph into "elf".

Otherwise, I could polymorph into "Me, but with 30s in all stats".

Dreamwren
2015-07-17, 03:04 PM
Which is why I rolled, for a more Random elf. I could have rolled a 3 for a stat.

Elbeyon
2015-07-17, 03:29 PM
Obviously, this is all being worked out with the dm. The rules can don't really apply. True poly is just the spell that is used as a story carrier. "The spell" could have easily been some unknown ritual. It doesn't matter. There result is a mechanically normal character with a custom background.

Everything in the op looks fine to me.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-17, 07:04 PM
Obviously, this is all being worked out with the dm. The rules can don't really apply. True poly is just the spell that is used as a story carrier. "The spell" could have easily been some unknown ritual. It doesn't matter. There result is a mechanically normal character with a custom background.

Everything in the op looks fine to me.

This.

The polymorphism is just a roleplay tool. If people are going to be sticklers about the specifics, the dm can just rule it any way/as anything else.

As a reincarnation or curse, for example. Or a ritual, as mentioned.

Some way, the pc simply was a dragon... Then isn't anymore, and doesn't remember being a dragon.

I've read books with similar ideas that were fantastic, and had all sorts of unique story twists that diverged from the expected of such a transformation.

Sigreid
2015-07-17, 09:30 PM
Which is why I rolled, for a more Random elf. I could have rolled a 3 for a stat.

Nothing at all with what you are doing if the DM and group are onboard with this kind of thing. Druid is a really great class. You could also consider taking and separating the class mechanics and class fluff and see if any of them just from a mechanics prospect meet your vision of embracing your inner dragon subconsciously. For example your totem barbarian could pick abilities from the normal list that constitute "The Path of the Dragon".