PDA

View Full Version : Artificer of The Big Guns

metabolicjosh
2015-07-16, 12:27 AM
I have a level 9 Artificer from the eberon conversion, who dipped 1 level of Cleric (undead lord). I have a Large double barrel shotgun, masterwork of course.

So I can use my infusion just before a fight to put the enchanents Bane and Corrosive on my shotgun. I can cast a second one to have my gun auto reload for me once a round.

For the record, my armor has the undbound enchantment. I also have deadly aim.

When combat is about to start, I turn into a soldier right out of star craft!

When I attack +6/1, I do 12d6+12 on each attack. That's without the bonus from the gun going up to huge.

Any thoughts and comments?

Vhaidara
2015-07-16, 08:58 AM
First off, I can't think of any StarCraft unit that uses an acid shotgun. Sounds more like borderlands.

Second, you're level 10 and attacking with +6 and actually expect to hit something? You have a 10% chance to miss large creatures with 8 Dec and no other bonus to touch ac. Meanwhile, you're using a ranged weapon at very close range. And, as far as I can tell, you need like 3 minutes of prebuffing to do it (though my memory of how infusions work is shaky)

metabolicjosh
2015-07-16, 10:40 AM
Infusions take one round, and the main benefit of a gun in pathfinder is that it bypasses armor :) And yeah I guess borderlands Is more accurate.

jiriku
2015-07-16, 10:44 AM
That is solid damage for your level. Next I'd recommend giving some thought to how you could perform at that level when you get ambushed, or in emergency situations where you don't have several minutes to prepare.

Vhaidara
2015-07-16, 10:49 AM
So 3 rounds of buffing. Still not exactly reliable.

And guns do ignore armor. By targeting touch armor class. Against a medium target with a 10 dexterity (like a human commoner), you miss on a 3 or lower. That's a 15% chance to miss. Every point of dexterity bonus they have is another 5% chance to miss. If you're actually fighting things appropriate to your level, you will need a natural 20 to hit.

marphod
2015-07-16, 03:39 PM
If you're actually fighting things appropriate to your level, you will need a natural 20 to hit.

In what game setting do you play where targets in CR 10 encounters always have a Touch AC of 26? Its certainly possible, but it isn't going to be that common.

Vhaidara
2015-07-16, 05:09 PM
In what game setting do you play where targets in CR 10 encounters always have a Touch AC of 26? Its certainly possible, but it isn't going to be that common.

Considering that his damage is also accounting for the second shot hitting (at +1), I was really referring to a 21. But even beyond that, if you're firing at less than 50% chance to hit, then you should find a better use for your actions.