View Full Version : Optimization Gestalt Beholder Mage

2015-07-16, 03:50 AM
Putting together a character for a pbp game here ITP. Current plan is this:

Starting Stats: Str 2/Dex 8/Con 14/Int 28/Wis 23/Cha 18

Side A

Beholder RHD 11/Saint Template LA 2/Monk 2

Side B

Beholder Mage 3/War Weaver 5/Uncanny Trickster 3

My problem is that I'm running out of BM spellcasting levels left. I know, I know, big "problem", but I've still got 4 levels that I don't know what to do with, and only one level of BM casting left to collect.

So! Since finding classes that are wonderful dips for mages needing one more level of casting is easy (Paragnostic Apostle is pretty cool), nobody really talks about casting PrCs that don't have lots of spellcasting progression. Is there anything a buff-focused mage can take that's actually gonna be useful?

Taveena
2015-07-16, 04:44 AM
While Saint implies this is probably off limits, Ur-Priest is always fun...

2015-07-16, 05:04 AM
While Saint implies this is probably off limits, Ur-Priest is always fun...

If I could make it work, yeah, but Saint has a pretty powerful effect (assuming the DM ok's it). Could Apostle of Peace be decent? It's not like this build will need to worry too much about items...

pi4t
2015-07-16, 05:37 AM
Doesn't advancing the BM's spellcasting using another prestige class make you miss out on things like the "free action casting" abilities? If so, you might want to stick with BM 10 instead of taking other prestige classes.

If not, then you might want to consider dipping another fast progression class like Ur Priest, Sublime Chord or Nar Demonbinder early on on one side or the other, and then taking levels in a theurge class. Ultimate magus might be fun, and if you're starting at level 15 you'd have time to make up the lost caster levels. Note that theurges aren't normally allowed in gestalt, but then again beholder mages aren't normally allowed into actual games, so ask your GM.

2015-07-16, 05:41 AM
Doesn't advancing the BM's spellcasting using another prestige class make you miss out on things like the "free action casting" abilities? If so, you might want to stick with BM 10 instead of taking other prestige classes.

If not, then you might want to consider dipping another fast progression class like Ur Priest, Sublime Chord or Nar Demonbinder early on on one side or the other, and then taking levels in a theurge class. Ultimate magus might be fun, and if you're starting at level 15 you'd have time to make up the lost caster levels. Note that theurges aren't normally allowed in gestalt, but then again beholder mages aren't normally allowed into actual games, so ask your GM.

Nope, that's a function of Beholder Mage Spellcasting class feature; that spellcasting gets advanced by PrCs.

I'm actually trying to avoid Theurging (which is allowed) because one of the only limits the BM has is the limited spells/day. About the only Theurgy thing I could add without making the build stupidly overpowered is Apostle of Peace, and that's because AoP is terrible despite getting 9th lvl casting in 10 levels.

EDIT: Double prestige is allowed, dual-progression PrCs are allowed...but the DM might end up rejecting the build if it's too OP. He's already pretty nervous about Beholder Mage (and rightfully so), so I've pointed out the limitations and I'm just gonna hope that he thinks it's balancing enough.

Taveena
2015-07-16, 06:45 AM
Apostle of Peace would work pretty well! Not like the nastiest parts of the Wizard list do direct HP damage anyway.

Nifft
2015-07-16, 06:48 AM
Unseen Seer or Spellwarp Sniper might have good synergy with all those Ray spells.

Segev
2015-07-16, 07:26 AM
Psionic manifestation is a good way to use your standard action that can't be used for anything involving your mouth on rounds when you're casting (and thus singing your spellsong).