PDA

View Full Version : Would this make for a good dual wielder?

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 07:25 AM
Vengence paladin 11, champion fighter3, barb 1.
Take armored fighting style from paladin and two weapon style from fighter. Could also take dueling instead of armored from paladin, cause then you can use the free action to stove away the offhand after you have done the normal attack action and bonus action offhand attack so that when you pop action surge you get the +2 dmg from dueling.

MrStabby
2015-07-16, 08:26 AM
The big advantage to two weapon fighting is in the fact you can use dex for your attacks. High initiative gives you a good chance to have an extra bonus attack at the start of combat (like half a free action surge).
Your classes do need Str 13 and give you heavy armour proficiency so you are getting a bit too much overlap between some of these (in my opinion).

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 08:34 AM
The big advantage to two weapon fighting is in the fact you can use dex for your attacks. High initiative gives you a good chance to have an extra bonus attack at the start of combat (like half a free action surge).
Your classes do need Str 13 and give you heavy armour proficiency so you are getting a bit too much overlap between some of these (in my opinion).

Well its a str based dual wield build so no overlap or madness. :) how do you mean get extra attacks from high initiative thought rolling high on initiative just made you go early/first, am I missing something?

MrStabby
2015-07-16, 08:44 AM
There are two types of combat (roughly simplified). The type where you go first and the type where your opponents go first.

Where your opponents go first:

they go
you go
they go...

...you go: they die

And when you go first:

you go
they go
you go
they go...

If by basing the build on dex rather than strength you change the initiative order you get an extra action and bonus action for every combat cycle (or rather everyone else gets one less). This is a pretty huge bonus - especially if it means you get to take down some enemies with high damage outputs or nasty effects.

Dex is an awesome stat - better for initiative, saves, probably skills (unless grappling) but with only two disadvantages. d8 as max weapon die and cannot use great weapon fighting or polearm mastery (the ability to use dex is what balanced two weapon fighting against those other styles).

If you want to use strength and use a bonus action to make an extra attack then you are better off wth polearm mastery and great weapon fighting styles.

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 08:58 AM
There are two types of combat (roughly simplified). The type where you go first and the type where your opponents go first.

Where your opponents go first:

they go
you go
they go...

And when you go first:

you go
they go
you go
they go...

If by basing the build on dex rather than strength you change the initiative order you get an extra action and bonus action for every combat cycle (or rather everyone else gets one less). This is a pretty huge bonus - especially if it means you get to take down some enemies with high damage outputs or nasty effects.

Dex is an awesome stat - better for initiative, saves, probably skills (unless grappling) but with only two disadvantages. d8 as max weapon die and cannot use great weapon fighting or polearm mastery (the ability to use dex is what balanced two weapon fighting against those other styles).

If you want to use strength and use a bonus action to make an extra attack then you are better off wth polearm mastery and great weapon fighting styles.

Well I have high dex and str(v good rolled stats) so in this case my build is awesome. :)

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 09:53 AM
At level 10 a turn would look like this: rage --> attack twice with 1d8 + 9 ---> use free action to equip offhand ---> action surge for two 1d8 + 7 ---> burn bonus action to attack with offhand for 1d8 + 7, feel free to throw in a few smites on some of the attacks for added lols. :) In total 5d8 + 39 if all hits + optional smite d8's. looks solid to me.

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 03:54 PM
Oh forgot would also be really nice chance to get many criticals when using the vengence paladin
channel divinity for advantage on attacks against the target of the channel div
since you also have 19-20 crit from the champ levels. :)

Easy_Lee
2015-07-16, 04:16 PM
Go pure paladin and take polearm mastery. You'll thank us later.

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 04:21 PM
Go pure paladin and take polearm mastery. You'll thank us later.

Never go polearm master cause I hate polearms. :)

Easy_Lee
2015-07-16, 04:27 PM
Never go polearm master cause I hate polearms. :)

Greatsword with GWM, then. Anything is better than trying to force TWF into a paladin build.

I probably should stop here. If you hate polearms, you and I can't see eye to eye.

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 04:32 PM
Greatsword with GWM, then. Anything is better than trying to force TWF into a paladin build.

I probably should stop here. If you hate polearms, you and I can't see eye to eye.

Well not really hate polearms in general just the fact that its the build everyone goes and completely
minmaxing everything is kinda boring rather come up with a effective build that is not maybe 100% the best
but still powerful and fun. :)

Whats the problem with the build tho? Great bonus damage without the -5 to hit of GWM and no need to
crit or kill something to get the bonus attack.

Easy_Lee
2015-07-16, 04:46 PM
Whats the problem with the build tho? Great bonus damage without the -5 to hit of GWM and no need to
crit or kill something to get the bonus attack.

Lost progression. There's a reason everyone goes for the best options: because they're the best. This is WoTC's fault, not the players.

Ask your DM how he feels about polearm mastery being changed to weapon mastery, and applying to any smiled weapon. Same with GWM. Then they'll just be those feats melee characters like, similar to sharpshooter, instead of the reason why polearms are best.

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 04:57 PM
Lost progression. There's a reason everyone goes for the best options: because they're the best. This is WoTC's fault, not the players.

Ask your DM how he feels about polearm mastery being changed to weapon mastery, and applying to any smiled weapon. Same with GWM. Then they'll just be those feats melee characters like, similar to sharpshooter, instead of the reason why polearms are best.

aware I would get spells slower and get the extra 1d8 on all attacks slower but simple question, is it a passable build or would it be complete ****? :)

Spacehamster
2015-07-16, 05:09 PM
Thats like the one thing I miss from d&d 3.5, it encouraged you to multiclass, were almost no classes except full casters that were good to go 1-20 in.

djreynolds
2015-07-17, 12:28 AM
Vengence paladin 11, champion fighter3, barb 1.
Take armored fighting style from paladin and two weapon style from fighter. Could also take dueling instead of armored from paladin, cause then you can use the free action to stove away the offhand after you have done the normal attack action and bonus action offhand attack so that when you pop action surge you get the +2 dmg from dueling.

The Death Dealers Handbook in the guides section has a build, battle-master 4, assassin 3, and vengeance 13. 13 gives you access to fourth level spells and more smiting, assassin gives you auto-critical to all damage, and battle-master precision makes sure you hit. He starts it with fighter 4, rogue 3, and then paladin for the rest. You could take barbarian and go dual style and dual wielder feat for two long swords, or rogue for two rapiers, or just two short swords.