PDA

View Full Version : What Spell to get for gish..

Masakan
2015-07-16, 09:37 AM
So this one thing that's been nagging at the back of my head for a gish build, Level 2 spells to be precice.

I've already decided to get wings of cover immediately as my first spell, the problem is the spell after that
The choices came down to Shocking spark(Scorching Ray with Lightning) and Wraith Strike.
Now I would prefer an option that allowed me to keep my distance, but I'm not gonna lie Insightful Wraith Strike Sounds Pretty damn Delicious, Es specially when backed by steady concentration.

What do you guys think?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-07-16, 11:19 AM
It sounds like you're making a Sorcerer, so be sure to check out the Ancestral Relic Runestaff (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) trick.

According to the Rules Compendium, a scroll, staff, or wand takes the same action to activate as the spell you're using from it, so a Wand of Wraithstrike is a swift action to activate, and a Wand of Wings of Cover is an immediate action to activate but you need to be already holding it. Make your Ancestral Relic an Elvencraft Composite Longbow (RotW) and put three wand chambers from Dungeonscape in it. Any time you're holding that you'll be considered to be holding all the wands it contains as well.

RAW the rules on increased casting times for spontaneous spells with metamagic feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats) only apply if the spell's normal casting time is 1 standard action or longer, so spells with a casting time of a swift action or an immediate action don't take any longer to cast if you apply metamagic. You can use a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend with Wraithstrike to make it last two rounds instead of just one, and it's still a swift action to cast it.

I'm not sure what you mean by Insightful Wraithstrike, this doesn't appear to be something from any official 3.5 book. Where did you find that, and what does it do?

Masakan
2015-07-16, 11:37 AM
It sounds like you're making a Sorcerer, so be sure to check out the Ancestral Relic Runestaff (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) trick.

According to the Rules Compendium, a scroll, staff, or wand takes the same action to activate as the spell you're using from it, so a Wand of Wraithstrike is a swift action to activate, and a Wand of Wings of Cover is an immediate action to activate but you need to be already holding it. Make your Ancestral Relic an Elvencraft Composite Longbow (RotW) and put three wand chambers from Dungeonscape in it. Any time you're holding that you'll be considered to be holding all the wands it contains as well.

RAW the rules on increased casting times for spontaneous spells with metamagic feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats) only apply if the spell's normal casting time is 1 standard action or longer, so spells with a casting time of a swift action or an immediate action don't take any longer to cast if you apply metamagic. You can use a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend with Wraithstrike to make it last two rounds instead of just one, and it's still a swift action to cast it.

I'm not sure what you mean by Insightful Wraithstrike, this doesn't appear to be something from any official 3.5 book. Where did you find that, and what does it do?

Oh sorry didn't clarify, Basically the idea is before you attack cast wraithstrike on yourself, use Insightful strike or Greater which everyone you have, and have the feat steady concentration which allows you to take 10 on any concentration check

The result being a Touch attack that has garenteed damage every time, and scaled every time you up your concentration checks.

jiriku
2015-07-16, 11:48 AM
Wraithstrike lends itself very well to use in a wand chamber, and wings of cover is even more so if it's chambered in something you expect to have at hand all the time (such as a buckler modified with any one of several methods for obtaining 0% ASF). Getting either in a wand would eliminate the need to choose -- you could have all three spells available.

If a wand is not an option, however, I'd lean towards the scorching ray-variant for your second spell. The other two compete with each other for your swift action, so they are slightly less useful when you have both of them at once. The ray, on the other hand, does solid damage for its level, and can remain useful for almost the entire life of the character if augmented with metamagic.

Masakan
2015-07-16, 11:55 AM
Wraithstrike lends itself very well to use in a wand chamber, and wings of cover is even more so if it's chambered in something you expect to have at hand all the time (such as a buckler modified with any one of several methods for obtaining 0% ASF). Getting either in a wand would eliminate the need to choose -- you could have all three spells available.

If a wand is not an option, however, I'd lean towards the scorching ray-variant for your second spell. The other two compete with each other for your swift action, so they are slightly less useful when you have both of them at once. The ray, on the other hand, does solid damage for its level, and can remain useful for almost the entire life of the character if augmented with metamagic.

My DM's sometimes are strict when it comes to feats and whatnot, but are VERY Open when it comes to items. Their only rule is to not cheese it up.
I'll consider that thanks.

jiriku
2015-07-16, 12:05 PM
I might also recommend bracers of the blast barrier (MIC 80) for you, since you are feeling gishy. Dropping a wall of shocking spark can be a great way to protect yourself from being flanked or close off a doorway or passage. The bracers are not so great for a traditional back-rank caster, but you're more likely to be on the front lines where their benefit is most useful. It also creates a nice secondary use for many of your spells, which is useful for the option-starved sorcerer at low levels.

Masakan
2015-07-16, 12:24 PM
I might also recommend bracers of the blast barrier (MIC 80) for you, since you are feeling gishy. Dropping a wall of shocking spark can be a great way to protect yourself from being flanked or close off a doorway or passage. The bracers are not so great for a traditional back-rank caster, but you're more likely to be on the front lines where their benefit is most useful. It also creates a nice secondary use for many of your spells, which is useful for the option-starved sorcerer at low levels.

Not bad not bad....except I was already set on getting the Bands of Blood rage for that slot, My character is a Silverbrow btw.

Morcleon
2015-07-16, 12:34 PM
Not bad not bad....except I was already set on getting the Bands of Blood rage for that slot, My character is a Silverbrow btw.

You can get both. Just increase the cheaper one's price by 50% to stack onto the more expensive one.

Masakan
2015-07-16, 12:36 PM
You can get both. Just increase the cheaper one's price by 50% to stack onto the more expensive one.

You can do that?

Morcleon
2015-07-16, 12:40 PM
You can do that?

Yes you can. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities)

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-16, 01:07 PM
Yes you can. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities)

YES YOU CAN! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU&feature=youtu.be&t=45s)

Masakan
2015-07-16, 01:30 PM
Sweet...one last thing though. What the hell is a "Martial" Deity?

Rebel7284
2015-07-16, 01:32 PM
Can you tell us more about your current build and plans for the future? It may change recommendations a little bit.

Wings of Cover and Wraithstrike are both really nice to eventually have, but what I recommend you get now is Alter Self.

Out of combat, it gives you tons of utility which you would otherwise be lacking including fly and swim speeds!
In combat, it can give you a boatload of natural armor and/or several natural attacks.
Also, can be used as a disguise in some social situations.

edit:

Sweet...one last thing though. What the hell is a "Martial" Deity?

Probably deities with the War domain?