PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Solo Mystery Adventure - Advice?

FlumphPaladin
2015-07-16, 12:50 PM
So I've been thinking about introducing my wife to gaming. She's seen me play with my old crew before, and remarked how it looked fun on Big Bang, so I think it could be something we could really enjoy together. If we should ever start with a group, I have A Dark and Stormy Night ready, but I kind of doubt that will actually materialize. So instead, I'm trying to put together a solo adventure, which I can tailor to her interests.

I'm thinking of making a murder-mystery adventure, since she likes those old Nancy Drew PC games and the Investigation Discovery channel--lots of roleplaying and intrigue and so on. I've got the germ of a plot ready (baron gets whacked, everyone's a suspect), and I've read through some of the brief guides on how to write mystery in an RPG, but I'm wondering if anyone else has some advice on this.

Anyone have experience with detective or solo adventures that a noob DM like me might do well to keep in mind? If you've played in either of these, what did you think?

Surpriser
2015-07-16, 01:45 PM
While I have not run a full-fledged mystery adventure yet, hopefully I can still provide a few hints.

First, the Three Clue Rule is your friend! It can be summarized as such: For any conclusion you want the PCs to make, include at least three clues.
See The three clue rule (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule) for more Information.
This is doubly important, since your wife will not have other players to count on if she misses something.

My second advice is not to use D&D, or at least not high-level D&D. The system is not really suited for this type of adventure (unless you are REALLY good at incorporating all the various ways in which magic could instantly solve any of the common mysteries).
On low levels, these problems are not so prevalent, but you should still take this into account when designing your adventure (why have the PC(s) try to solve the crime if you can simply call in the town-priest for a quick Speak with Dead?)

Last, but not least: Try not to enforce any single path to the solution. It helps if you don't even plan out the story after the begin of the adventure (apart from events independent of the PC(s) actions, like changes in weather or the arrival of a messenger)
Set up the scenario, give each of your NPCs motivations and goals and plant the relevant (or irrelevant) clues. The story itself should depend on the actions of your wife's character.

FlumphPaladin
2015-07-16, 02:18 PM
Thanks!

I hadn't quite thought of not plotting the story out. It sounds like I should front-load the adventure instead--just have characters listed, motivations, a set of clues, and just let the rest happen.

So far, I've got three suspects and motivations for each.

Baron's son-in-law. The baron had no heirs and only one daughter (sterility?). She had, it seems, fallen in love with a non-noble, but the baron allowed them to be married anyway, on the condition that he would take any sons they had to be his heirs (semisalic primogeniture prevents the daughter from becoming baroness because of suspects 2 and 3). Did the young husband take matters into his own hands to prevent his family from being split up?
Baron's brother. Infuriated by the baron's choice to pollute the family line with commoner stock (and that the baron would rather do that than see him succeed). Was this a case of avenging the family's honor?
Baron's nephew. With the baron out of the way before any heirs were born, his father (Suspect 2) would become baron, ensuring that he's in line for the title as well. If his father were blamed for it, then he'd get the title that much sooner. Would he be so treacherous?

I think it's good so far, but it's still a small reference pool, and the motivations all revolve around the same thing. If I truly want an Everyone Is A Suspect situation, I will need some more suspects and more variety in their motives.

Or is it more believable this small?

Surpriser
2015-07-16, 02:50 PM
I hadn't quite thought of not plotting the story out. It sounds like I should front-load the adventure instead--just have characters listed, motivations, a set of clues, and just let the rest happen.

That sounds like a good plan. I might also be a good idea to prepare a few "jokers" - events or actions by NPCs that can:
- provide further clues if the investigation stalls (e.g. the villain strikes again to silence witnesses and leaves clues, a reluctant witness decides to testify, ...)
- muddy the waters (events seemingly connected to the crime but actually unrelated, a witness eloping with their secret lover, destruction of evidence,...)
- introduce dramatic tension after certain information becomes known (e.g. an enraged relative takes an (innocent?) suspect hostage to avenge the crime)

Also, nothing prevents you from ensuring that some clues (the important ones) can only be found after some other information is already unearthed.

I think it's good so far, but it's still a small reference pool, and the motivations all revolve around the same thing. If I truly want an Everyone Is A Suspect situation, I will need some more suspects and more variety in their motives.

Or is it more believable this small?
Remember also that you will need witnesses (who might lead to further witnesses), contacts and allies and a few innocent bystanders.
Alternatively, you could set up the situation such that noone can leave or come in from outside until the mystery is solved.

Other potential suspects:
- Household servants. Either for their own motivations (jealousy, hate, trying to cover up their thefts of the family silver,...) or instigated by another party.
- A rival noble who wanted to increase his own power.
- The baron's wife? She might have had an affair, or suspected the baron to have one.

Of course, the adventure can be just as effective with only two suspects (or even one, who could hire your wife's character to prove his innocence)

FlumphPaladin
2015-07-17, 06:22 AM
Alright. I've added the manor chamberlain as a suspect as well. His motive is that he's been siphoning money and other goods from his lord's coffers for years, and believed that the baron may have caught on. This gives the added complication that he has reason to lie about it even if he didn't commit the crime.

I believe I'll start moving on to witnesses now. Servants and officials, friends of Suspect 1, etc.

Thanks for all the help!

Surpriser
2015-07-22, 06:18 AM
I like the chamberlain idea. Consider making it obvious that he has something to hide, but give him a solid alibi (that might not be that obvious and he could be reluctant to talk about it, e.g. he was off fencing some stolen silverware). Then, after his involvement in the case becomes known, it might turn out that he has some crucial evidence to give as part of a deal.

Also: Whenever you are wondering whether you have enough clues, you don't have enough.

If you are stuck trying to place more clues, ask yourself the question: "What went wrong?" The culprit will either have had a plan for the murder or intended something completely different, like a civil conversation. In both cases, something went differently than expected, leading to evidence being placed for the PCs to uncover.

I would also recommend introducing the motives of (nearly) all suspects quite early, to avoid the problem of singling out a single suspect and ignoring all other leads.