PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Devout (3.5 PEACH)

Ralcos
2015-07-16, 02:11 PM
THIS IS A REPOSTING OF AN OLD CLASS I MADE.
Mostly so I could balance it a bit more and make it awesome.

The Devout
Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of the Gods.

http://img0.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/art-Warhammer-Fantasy-warpriest-of-Sigmar-%25D0%25BF%25D0%25B5%25D1%2581%25D0%25BE%25D1%2587 %25D0%25BD%25D0%25B8%25D1%2586%25D0%25B0-96281.jpeg

There are Clerics, those that follow the teachings of deities; but even those teachings can be corrupted for one purpose or another, or even seeing two Clerics of the same religion fighting over differing views of the same ideology.
The Devout is different, having a direct line to a deity through a pact of blood; eternally a servant, both in life and in beyond. While Clerics merely follow the gods, the Devout embraces the very breath of that deity’s being; asking the divine beings that serve his deity for advice and guidance to advance that deity’s goal. While many Clerics see the Devout of their religion as edging near obsession of the deity, all of them know that the Devout is a good omen when he comes to solve any problems.

Abilities: Wisdom is a Devout’s top priority, while Charisma is a close second.
Deity: The Devout MUST worship a deity when he chooses to play as this class.
Alignment: The Devout MUST be of the same Alignment as his chosen deity.

Hit Dice: d6 (6 + Constitution Modifier at 1st level)

Class Skills
Skill Points: 4 + Intelligence Modifier; x4 at 1st level
Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (The Planes), , Knowledge (Religion), Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fortitude
Reflex
Will
Special
Faith Points

Among the Faithful, Divine Power (1st)

Power of Faith I

Divine Power (2nd), Power of Faith II

Divine Power (3rd)

6 / 1
Power of Faith III

6 / 1

7 / 2

8 / 3
Divine Power (4th)

9 / 4
Power of Faith IV

9 / 4

10 / 5

10 / 6 / 1
Divine Power (5th)

12 / 7 / 2
Power of Faith V

12 / 7 / 2

13 / 8 / 3

14 / 9 / 4
Divine Power (6th)

15 / 10 / 5
Ascension, Power of Faith VI

Class Features
All Devout have the following Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Devout are proficient with all Simple Weapons as well as proficient in the Favored Weapon of their Deity (if applicable). In addition, the Devout is proficient in Light Armor, Medium Armor, and all Shields (except for Tower Shields).

Faith Points
All Devout are granted a small pool of divine energy from their deity, as a part of their pact.
The Devout gains a number of Faith Points that he can use daily equal to his Wisdom Modifier plus what he'd gain from his Devout level.
For example, a 1st level Devout gains 2 + his Wisdom Modifier Faith Points.

Faith Points can be used in the following ways:

Turn/Rebuke Undead as a Cleric of your Devout level.
Divine Bolt; Ranged Touch Attack; deals 1d6 damage for every odd-numbered Devout level you possess.
Divine Shield; Self OR one ally within 30 feet; Grants +1 divine bonus to Armor Class for every odd-numbered Devout level you possess. Lasts for 1 hour.
Divine Providence; Self OR one ally within 30 feet; Grants +1 to all Saving Throws for every odd-numbered Devout level you possess. Lasts for 1 minute.

NOTE: You may only spend 1 Faith Point per round, each use using up a Swift Action.

Among the Faithful
At 1st level, the Devout knows 4 0-level Cleric spells, usable 4 times per day as spell-like abilities.
In addition, he chooses 2 domains that his deity allows, and gains the ability listed for each domain (granted as per Cleric Domains).

Divine Power
At 1st level, a Devout knows two 1st level Cleric spells, each spell usable twice per day as spell-like abilities

At 4th level, he learns two 2nd level Cleric spells, each spell usable twice per day as spell-like abilities.
In addition, he learns two more 1st level Cleric spells, and his 1st level spells can each be used four times per day as spell-like abilities.
Also, his 0-level spells can now be used as at-will spell-like abilities.

At 7th level, he learns two 3rd level Cleric spells, each spell usable twice per day as spell-like abilities.
In addition, he learns two more 2nd level Cleric spells, each of his 2nd level spells can be used four times per day as spell-like abilities.
Also, his 1st level spells can be used as at-will spell-like abilities.
Also, his 0-level spells can now be used as at-will supernatural abilities.

At 11th level, he learns two 4th level Cleric spells, each spell usable twice per day as spell-like abilities.
In addition, he learns two more 3rd level Cleric spells, each of his 3rd level spells usable four times per day.
Also, his 2nd level spells can be used as at-will spell-like abilities.

At 15th level, he learns two 5th level Cleric spells, each spell usable twice per day as spell-like abilities.
In addition, he learns two more 4th level Cleric spells, each spell usable four times per day.
Also, he can use his 3rd level spells can be used as at-will spell-like abilities, AND his 1st level spells can be used as at-will supernatural abilities.

At 19th level, he learns two 6th level Cleric spells, each usable twice per day as spell-like abilities.
In addition, he learns two 5th level spells, each of these spells usable four times per day.
Also, his 4th level spells are usable as at-will spell-like abilities, AND his 2nd level spells can be used as at-will supernatural abilities.

Spell DCs are calculated as normal, using Wisdom as the Devout’s casting ability score.
Your Caster Level is considered to be equal to your Devout level.

Power of Faith
At 2nd level, and then again at 4th level, 8th level, 12th level, 16th level, and 20th level, you gain one extra ability from the list below.
Each one of these abilities is activated as part of spending a Faith Point (see above).

Use one Metamagic feat that you know, applying the effects to any one spell that you know.
Reduce one target's Armor Class by 1 for every odd-numbered Devout level you have. Target must be within 30 feet and make a Will Saving Throw (DC 10 + Wisdom Modifier) for a number of rounds equal to your Devout level.
Reduce one target's Saving Throws (Fortitude, Reflex, AND Will) by 1 for every odd-numbered Devout level you have. Target must be within 30 feet and make a Will Saving Throw (DC 10 + Wisdom Modifier) for a number of rounds equal to your Devout level.
Augment your attacks with the Paladin's Smite feature, using your Devout level to determine effects.
Gain Damage Resistance 10 against one type of energy damage for a number of rounds equal to your Devout level.

Ascension
At 20th level, you have proven yourself to your deity, either by making yourself a martyr for the deity's cause or by rallying those that were deemed faithless under your deity's holy symbol.
You adopt the Ascended Template, gaining the Undead (Augmented, Native) type, and the following template features:

You gain an additional amount of hit points per HD equal to their Charisma bonus, given that this bonus is +0 or higher.
For every 5 Devout Levels that you have, you gain Natural Armor bonus of +1.
You gain Spell Resistance equal to your Devout Class Level + 10. You also gain Damage Reduction of 5/magic. If you already has one or both of these things, you use the better value. Lastly, you are immune to Turn Undead/Rebuke Undead attempts
Immunities (Ex): You are immune to acid, cold, electricity, and petrification attacks.
Tongues (Ex): You can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell cast by a 14th-level cleric. This ability is always active.

So, what do you guys think?

Troacctid
2015-07-17, 07:48 PM
You forgot Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill, and to set the Devout's caster level equal to their class level. (The default if unspecified is for it to be equal to their character level, which is probably not intended.)

At-will Cure Minor Wounds is probably too good for 1st level. I would probably move at-will cantrips up to 4th level. Other than that, the power level on the standard class abilities seems pretty reasonable compared to a Favored Soul or Warlock.

The domain abilities, on the other hand, are not well-balanced. The Community, Mind, and Mysticism domains are broken. I'm not actually sure why you even have special domain abilities--why aren't you just using the standard domain-granted abilities?

Furthermore, you have too many dead levels.

Ralcos
2015-07-18, 12:52 AM
You forgot Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill, and to set the Devout's caster level equal to their class level. (The default if unspecified is for it to be equal to their character level, which is probably not intended.)

At-will Cure Minor Wounds is probably too good for 1st level. I would probably move at-will cantrips up to 4th level. Other than that, the power level on the standard class abilities seems pretty reasonable compared to a Favored Soul or Warlock.

The domain abilities, on the other hand, are not well-balanced. The Community, Mind, and Mysticism domains are broken. I'm not actually sure why you even have special domain abilities--why aren't you just using the standard domain-granted abilities?

Furthermore, you have too many dead levels.

Changed based on suggestions.
For the record, I'm not sure what I should do to fill in the dead levels... The Devout's already pretty powerful.

nonsi
2015-07-18, 03:17 AM
Faith Points - how are they replenished? (daily / hourly / every turn anew ......)

Ralcos
2015-07-18, 02:19 PM
Faith Points - how are they replenished? (daily / hourly / every turn anew ......)

Faith Points are regained as a Daily resource.

nonsi
2015-07-18, 03:36 PM
Faith Points are regained as a Daily resource.

To make FP count:
1. Make each FP-usage cost a single FP.
2. Scale all effects by level, as you see fit.
3. Note that a devout can spend only a single FP per round.

This will give the class some daily lasting power without opening the door to power abuse.

Ralcos
2015-07-18, 09:40 PM
To make FP count:
1. Make each FP-usage cost a single FP.
2. Scale all effects by level, as you see fit.
3. Note that a devout can spend only a single FP per round.

This will give the class some daily lasting power without opening the door to power abuse.

Actually, that works!
Edited in suggestions. Hopefully, it's a bit more balanced now!

Troacctid
2015-07-19, 12:22 AM
Definitely less balanced since you frontloaded all the faith point abilities at 1st level--having to wait until higher levels to get some of the better abilities was an important balancing factor. If everything is at 1st level, then everyone and their mother will just dip the class for one level and get free actions all day. Also, they're clearly not of equivalent power (granting a standard action is waaaay better than granting a move action!) so I don't think it makes sense for them to cost the same.

Also you forgot to put an action cost for using faith points.

nonsi
2015-07-19, 12:36 AM
Actually, that works!
Edited in suggestions. Hopefully, it's a bit more balanced now!

Notice:

Faith Points
All Devout are granted a small pool of divine energy from their deity, as a part of their pact.
The Devout gains a number of Faith Points that he can use daily equal to his Wisdom Modifier plus what he'd gain from his Devout level, but they can only spend up to His Devout level per round.
For example, a 1st level Devout gains 2 + his Wisdom Modifier Faith Points.

Faith Points can be used in the following ways, each use having a cost of 1 Faith Point:

Turn/Rebuke Undead as a Cleric of your Devout level.
Divine Bolt; Ranged Touch Attack; deals 1d6 damage for every odd-numbered Devout level you possess.
Divine Shield; Self OR one ally within 30 feet; Grants +1 divine bonus to Armor Class for every odd-numbered Devout level you possess. Lasts for 1 hour.
Divine Providence; Self OR one ally within 30 feet; Grants +1 to all Saving Throws for every odd-numbered Devout level you possess. Lasts for 1 minute.
Grant an Action to Self or one ally within 30 feet.
Move Action
Standard Action
Full-Round Action

NOTE: You may only spend 1 Faith Point per round.

Also, notice that the Devout has 9 dead levels (2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 19). That's way too much.

You could alleviate this to some extent if passed 4th level, you'd grant Divine Power every 3 levels (7, 10, 13, 16, 19).
The power shift would not be substantial and won't break anything.
It will also reduce the number of dead levels and spread them evenly (2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17)
See if you then can fill the remaining dead levels with something. If nothing comes to mind, you can always resort to bonus feats; you'd just need to compile a list of feats that will be in line with the Devout's theme.

Ralcos
2015-07-19, 12:57 AM
Also, notice that the Devout has 9 dead levels (2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 19). That's way too much.

You could alleviate this to some extent if passed 4th level, you'd grant Divine Power every 3 levels (7, 10, 13, 16, 19).
The power shift would not be substantial and won't break anything.
It will also reduce the number of dead levels and spread them evenly (2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17)
See if you then can fill the remaining dead levels with something. If nothing comes to mind, you can always resort to bonus feats; you'd just need to compile a list of feats that will be in line with the Devout's theme.

I edited based on suggestions. Removed the granting of actions, and edited so only ONE FP can be used in a round.

I'm going to think about what the dead levels could be filled with. Will update tomorrow (probably).

nonsi
2015-07-19, 02:16 AM
...Removed the granting of actions...

Good call. Action abuse is always problematic.

You could instead add augmentation of skill-checks/ability-checks, and maybe weapon traits to overcome DR that advance with level progression (magic/material/alignment/(un)holy/ghosttouch...).

And if buffs, why not debuffs? (lower opponents' AC/DR/SR/saves/CL etc)

Maybe that's what you should do with the dead levels - grant new things to do with FPs.
This will make the use of FP more dominant, so it might be reasonable to increase the amount a bit (your call if and by how much).
Another idea, is that since FP usage is such a central part of the Devout, you could maybe rule that applying FP effects to self could be (or in some cases take a ride on) a move action, and when applied to others it would require (or in some cases take a ride on) a standard action.

Ralcos
2015-07-19, 02:51 AM
Good call. Action abuse is always problematic.

You could instead add augmentation of skill-checks/ability-checks, and maybe weapon traits to overcome DR that advance with level progression (magic/material/alignment/(un)holy/ghosttouch...).

And if buffs, why not debuffs? (lower opponents' AC/DR/SR/saves/CL etc)

Maybe that's what you should do with the dead levels - grant new things to do with FPs.
This will make the use of FP more dominant, so it might be reasonable to increase the amount a bit (your call if and by how much).
Another idea, is that since FP usage is such a central part of the Devout, you could maybe rule that applying FP effects to self could be (or in some cases take a ride on) a move action, and when applied to others it would require (or in some cases take a ride on) a standard action.

That definately makes sense.
I think I'll add in small options as to how you can use FP when you level.

nonsi
2015-07-19, 01:39 PM
A thought...

Earlier, I suggested that you might up the FP a bit.
After giving it some consideration, I realized that this would interfere with whatever strategy you take to deal with dead levels and might give too much at once.
Well, I just had an idea.
Instead of upping FP, what if you allow a devout to recover a single FP with 30 minutes of meditation and/or one hour of non-strenuous activity during which the devout does not speak, but rather uses the time to introspect and for religious contemplation?
This will give the class some daily lasting power without opening the door for abuse. It will also coincide with the Devout's theme (turning to your deity in plea in times of dire need; keeping quiet when you got nothing of importance to say, speaking after considering your words carefully, thus gaining respectability).

nonsi
2015-07-20, 04:35 AM
nitpick: nice image, but the head is 1/2 the size it should be.

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 12:53 PM
nitpick: nice image, but the head is 1/2 the size it should be.

Blame Warhammer. :tongue:
Should I change it?

nonsi
2015-07-20, 11:25 PM
Blame Warhammer. :tongue:
Should I change it?

No hurry. I'm guessing that completing the class is of higher priority.

Ralcos
2015-07-21, 11:13 AM
Added a new class feature, Power of Faith, granting bonus abilities for the Devout to use his Faith Points on.

I'll be taking suggestions for more abilities for Power of Faith.
Otherwise, there will be more to come.

nonsi
2015-07-21, 01:33 PM
Added a new class feature, Power of Faith, granting bonus abilities for the Devout to use his Faith Points on.

I'll be taking suggestions for more abilities for Power of Faith.
Otherwise, there will be more to come.

Can you do me a small favor and lose the "Width" constraint on the table? (dropping the spoiler around the table would be welcome as well)

- Divine Power: make it levels 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, for a more balanced power level (at current, the class is a bit weak).
- Power of Faith: make it levels 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, so that they're gained when FP are not (you still need one more effect, even as this feature is now - you have more slots than effects).

The above two changes will balance the class nicely as a solid mid-power T3 class and eliminate dead levels entirely.

Rizban
2015-07-21, 01:52 PM
This is very similar to an idea I had knocking around and was attempting to work out.

First thing that come to mind on a quick glance: You specify that spending FP is a swift action but not what actions any of the abilities based on FP use. As written, he can turn/blast/shield/providence as swift actions. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or not. My thought is that spending FP should be either a free action or done as part of whatever action it is spent to activate. This would give you more freedom in using them with abilities of varying strengths and application. If spending FP is a separate swift action, then that's just action economy penalization for seemingly no good reason.