PDA

View Full Version : What is currently the possible longest attack range of a spell or arrow achievable ?

CyberThread
2015-07-16, 06:07 PM
Is the warlocks eldritch blast the longest reaching or something else these days?

WampDiesel
2015-07-16, 06:13 PM
Is the warlocks eldritch blast the longest reaching or something else these days?

Warlock eldritch blast with eldritch spear invocation and spell sniper gives you a 600 foot range on eldritch blast.

Which incidentally is the max distance for a longbow. Pick up sharpshooter to negate the disadvantage.

Anyone got anything longer than 600 feet?

Morcleon
2015-07-16, 06:27 PM
Arguably, you could cast Arcane Gate at max range, then shoot a longbow through the portal for 1100 ft of range.

Naanomi
2015-07-16, 06:31 PM
Apart from the spells measured in miles, spell sniper/Eldritch spear/distant spell for 1200ft wins I think

ruy343
2015-07-16, 06:33 PM
Longest range possible without other spells? As was mentioned above, we can use some wonky teleportation spells and maybe get things to go even farther.

Also, bear in mind that you could hypothetically aim the bow at a perfect angle and argue for a farther distance without any measure of accuracy.

My personal favorite though is lobbing an archer with a catapult and then firing from that height, but I've had some lenient DMs in the past...

TurboGhast
2015-07-17, 11:29 PM
Are we trying to meaningfully shoot a target or just fire a projectile as far as possible? A lot of crazy range increasing plans cost accuracy, (e.g. being launched by catapult makes aiming tough) so this is a significant factor.

Naanomi
2015-07-17, 11:44 PM
1) Wizard opens a gate to random plane
2) second wizard opens portal inches from it back to a spot on back on the material plane
3) throw rock through portals at any range; across dimensions. Infinite (well, arbitrarily high) range

Ramshack
2015-07-18, 01:30 AM
Meteor Swarm has a Cast Range of 1 mile.

FatherLiir
2015-07-18, 04:49 PM
Meteor Swarm has a Cast Range of 1 mile.

Out of curiosty, what's the Area the Meteor hits? The Entire 1 Mile or...

Flashy
2015-07-18, 05:05 PM
Out of curiosty, what's the Area the Meteor hits? The Entire 1 Mile or...

Four 40 foot radius spheres.

Steampunkette
2015-07-19, 03:16 AM
Storm of vengeance. 360 foot emanation centered on any point above you that you can see.

Put it on the moon. Longest range spell ever!

Inevitability
2015-07-20, 07:24 AM
Storm of vengeance. 360 foot emanation centered on any point above you that you can see.

Put it on the moon. Longest range spell ever!

Why not the sun? Or heck, we might as well go all the way to the stars.

Naanomi
2015-07-20, 07:35 AM
Why not the sun? Or heck, we might as well go all the way to the stars.
The Old Ones that live up there might not be happy. Of course, for real distance you'd need to get out of your crystal sphere and find somewhere the phlogiston is thin enough to see some distance away; or maybe head to the outer/astral/elemental (of air?) planes

Ralanr
2015-07-20, 07:56 AM
Distant spell meteor swarm.

Inevitability
2015-07-20, 08:09 AM
The Old Ones that live up there might not be happy.

Are you sure? They live in hellish realms man literally can't comprehend with their nightmarish spawn, bleeding tears and crying blood. I doubt a bit of acid rain will really bother them.

Steampunkette
2015-07-20, 10:46 AM
Point is: Storm of Vengeance has literally infinite range, so long as you can see the area and it is above you.

Take 3 levels of warlock, send your invisible familiar through the portal to a far off world across the galaxy. Look through his eyes and cast Storm of Vengeance. So long as the planet is up from you, it works.

How does the spell work on planes with situational or relative gravity, though?

Ralanr
2015-07-20, 11:00 AM
Point is: Storm of Vengeance has literally infinite range, so long as you can see the area and it is above you.

Take 3 levels of warlock, send your invisible familiar through the portal to a far off world across the galaxy. Look through his eyes and cast Storm of Vengeance. So long as the planet is up from you, it works.

How does the spell work on planes with situational or relative gravity, though?

On limbo I'd wager, "**** if anyone knows."

1Forge
2015-07-20, 12:33 PM
simple, step 1) fire an arrow upward step 2) cast light on it step 3) cast wish and send it hurtiling into orbit step 4) admire your infinitely traveling satellite that glows for a few hours.

range: infinite I win.

Also dosent storm of vengence have a duration?

Ralanr
2015-07-20, 12:51 PM
simple, step 1) fire an arrow upward step 2) cast light on it step 3) cast wish and send it hurtiling into orbit step 4) admire your infinitely traveling satellite that glows for a few hours.

range: infinite I win.

Also dosent storm of vengence have a duration?

That's a lot of actions.

1Forge
2015-07-20, 01:58 PM
If you don't cast light and have the warcaster feat then it's one action. (attack then bonus action cast wish)

Ralanr
2015-07-20, 02:42 PM
If you don't cast light and have the warcaster feat then it's one action. (attack then bonus action cast wish)

I don't think warcaster allows spellcasting as a bonus action, but as a reaction.

I'm AFB though.

1Forge
2015-07-20, 02:47 PM
I don't think warcaster allows spellcasting as a bonus action, but as a reaction.

I'm AFB though.

could be im afb too, if so hire an NPC to punch you in the arm then cast wish. Foolproof.

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 02:53 PM
But being punched doesn't trigger an AoO...

You'd need a hireling to run away from you the instant you loose the area.

1Forge
2015-07-20, 05:19 PM
But being punched doesn't trigger an AoO...

You'd need a hireling to run away from you the instant you loose the area.

I thought the punch would trigger a reaction, though i could be wrong (afb) if so yeah just hire them to run away.

Steampunkette
2015-07-20, 09:59 PM
Wish spell to recreate Nailed to the Sky on an arrow?

Weird... I would argue that isn't an attack. Also the arrow would be on the ground within 1 round and out of range of the light spell during its first round of flight.

And yes. Storm of Vengeance has a duration.

Dimcair
2015-07-20, 10:10 PM
the arrow is simply not the spell. Wish is. And wish isnt a projectile either^^

1Forge
2015-07-20, 10:19 PM
Ok then cast wish to make a magic item that flies forever when shot from a bow. Now the arrow itself is propelled by the attack.

Steampunkette
2015-07-21, 12:50 AM
But you're still not attacking anything.

It's propelled by the bow, but there's no attack roll or target or damage. You could wish a Tea Kettle into orbit and have the same ultimate effect.

With Storm of Vengeance you can actively harm the creatures that live on the moon. Or any number of other celestial bodies, provided you can see them in the night sky.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-21, 04:49 AM
Tsunami also has a range of sight, so it's tied with Storm of Vengeance. It also has the advantage of being an 8th level spell, and thus available earlier.

So I count:

1. Storm of Vengeance (Sight, infinite)
1. Tsunami (Sight, infinite)
3. Meteor Swarm with Distant Spell (2 miles)
4. Eldritch Blast with Distant Spell and Spell Sniper (1200 feet)
5. Longbow + Arcane Gate (1100 feet)

Also, you could have a Monk "bucket brigade" where you shoot at one, it uses deflect missiles to attack the next monk, who uses deflect missiles to attack the next one, etc, until the last one attacks your target, with a range limited only by the number of monks you have. Any other way to increase the attack range of physical projectiles like arrows, or any projectiles (seige weapons maybe, I don't know) that have a longer range than a longbow?

Eldan
2015-07-21, 05:05 AM
The epic feat Distant Shot allows you to shoot at anything you can see with no penalty. So, theoretically infinite. Though if one wants to be annoying and go by literal spot check rules, you have to roll a spot check with a -1 per 10 feet distance to see something, so more than a few hundred feet is unlikely.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-21, 05:39 AM
The epic feat Distant Shot allows you to shoot at anything you can see with no penalty. So, theoretically infinite. Though if one wants to be annoying and go by literal spot check rules, you have to roll a spot check with a -1 per 10 feet distance to see something, so more than a few hundred feet is unlikely.

Where are epic feats located? Also, where do you get the -1 per 10 feet to see something using perception?

Inevitability
2015-07-21, 08:45 AM

Wrong edition. :smallwink: