PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Which spells in PHB create undead?

Shining Wrath
2015-07-16, 09:06 PM
I've found Animate Dead, Create Undead, and Finger of Death. Am I missing anything?

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-17, 02:03 AM
I've found Animate Dead, Create Undead, and Finger of Death. Am I missing anything?

I don't think so, but I just want to konw, why do you want to know this?

SharkForce
2015-07-17, 02:16 AM
true polymorph. and presumably wish.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-17, 06:26 AM
I don't think so, but I just want to konw, why do you want to know this?

I'm trying to develop a "theory of undead" for my campaign, more fluff than any plot driver, and thus I wish to know where the various undead come from. Most of them are created by some form of "evil person dies and their soul doesn't move on for reasons". There's some that are created by rituals not specified in the PHB, e.g., Flame Skull. I thought there'd be more magic available to create higher forms, but skeletons, zombie, and ghouls are the only choices directly available in the PHB (I'll acknowledge Wish and TP, as pointed out by SharkForce, as OP options; I especially don't see anyone risking the loss of Wish to create a subservient vampire).

Millface
2015-07-17, 08:35 AM
I'm trying to develop a "theory of undead" for my campaign, more fluff than any plot driver, and thus I wish to know where the various undead come from. Most of them are created by some form of "evil person dies and their soul doesn't move on for reasons". There's some that are created by rituals not specified in the PHB, e.g., Flame Skull. I thought there'd be more magic available to create higher forms, but skeletons, zombie, and ghouls are the only choices directly available in the PHB (I'll acknowledge Wish and TP, as pointed out by SharkForce, as OP options; I especially don't see anyone risking the loss of Wish to create a subservient vampire).

This edition actually describes becoming a Lich with more detail than previous editions. I'm not sure the exact cost or time needed to create a Phylactery, but once you have that you just have to cast Imprisonment to trap a soul in a gem and you're off to the races.

Worth noting you can also create Wight's and Mummies with higher level versions of Create Undead. Wights can have their own zombies, which is cool.

Daishain
2015-07-17, 01:00 PM
The spells in the PHb are only a tiny fraction of the spells actually out there in the world. If you want to present some kind of grand unification theory on the origin of undead, you need to avoid limiting yourself to that book.

If you really want to do your homework, I'd suggest checking out the 3.5e books, which still don't cover the entire breadth of D&D magic, but come a heck of a lot closer than the 5e ones do. Start with the undead central one (Libris Mortis if I remember right, but I can't check right now)

On the other hand, no one is going to come by and whack you on the head if you choose to just make it up. Invent some ritual by which a desired creature can be created given appropriate materials.

Millface
2015-07-17, 01:27 PM
The spells in the PHb are only a tiny fraction of the spells actually out there in the world. If you want to present some kind of grand unification theory on the origin of undead, you need to avoid limiting yourself to that book.

If you really want to do your homework, I'd suggest checking out the 3.5e books, which still don't cover the entire breadth of D&D magic, but come a heck of a lot closer than the 5e ones do. Start with the undead central one (Libris Mortis if I remember right, but I can't check right now)

On the other hand, no one is going to come by and whack you on the head if you choose to just make it up. Invent some ritual by which a desired creature can be created given appropriate materials.

Of course, you have to be careful introducing things like this because you don't want your PCs being able to do it. In 3.x I homebrewed constantly, in 5e it never seems to work out without destroying balance in some way. It's... precariously tuned.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-17, 01:34 PM
Of course, you have to be careful introducing things like this because you don't want your PCs being able to do it. In 3.x I homebrewed constantly, in 5e it never seems to work out without destroying balance in some way. It's... precariously tuned.

As noted, the MM says some creatures are created via "rituals" not found in the PHB. It's not impossible to add these to player use, with appropriate levels and rare or expensive materials.

pwykersotz
2015-07-17, 02:34 PM

Odd, I find the opposite. In 3.5 all my homebrew ran afoul of various mechanics. In 5e I find substantially fewer interconnected and interdependent rules to worry about.

SharkForce
2015-07-17, 02:45 PM
Odd, I find the opposite. In 3.5 all my homebrew ran afoul of various mechanics. In 5e I find substantially fewer interconnected and interdependent rules to worry about.

to be fair, it can often be harder to make a more simple solution to a problem.

I know I've struggled to find good abilities to suggest adding to fighter at high levels that won't add much complication but will allow them to have a bigger impact on the world, without feeling like they're overtly supernatural (I could care less if the ability is not physically possible, so long as people can pretend like it doesn't take magic to work).

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 02:50 PM
Well, the whole "physically impossible but not magic" thing happens at level 1, with second wind. (Depending on how HP works, of course, which is a whole 'nother mess.)

SharkForce
2015-07-17, 03:13 PM
Well, the whole "physically impossible but not magic" thing happens at level 1, with second wind. (Depending on how HP works, of course, which is a whole 'nother mess.)

sure, but second wind is not exactly an awe-inspiring ability at level 15. I suppose giving a whole bunch of uses might be interesting, but ultimately doesn't feel like it has much point. until there is a compelling reason to target the guy who stabs you a few times and has high defense instead of going after the guy who is rendering half of your team useless with low defense, toughness on a fighter is not really the solution to the problem.

Daishain
2015-07-17, 04:40 PM
It is generally accepted that HP is a mostly a matter of stamina and endurance, with most attacks whittling away at the defenders ability to keep said attacks from hitting anything vital. With that in mind, Second Wind is not physically impossible at all. In fact you should be wondering why it isn't a more common ability among these highly trained warriors.

pwykersotz
2015-07-18, 06:53 AM
to be fair, it can often be harder to make a more simple solution to a problem.

I know I've struggled to find good abilities to suggest adding to fighter at high levels that won't add much complication but will allow them to have a bigger impact on the world, without feeling like they're overtly supernatural (I could care less if the ability is not physically possible, so long as people can pretend like it doesn't take magic to work).

That is indeed a fair point.

SharkForce
2015-07-18, 10:55 AM
It is generally accepted that HP is a mostly a matter of stamina and endurance, with most attacks whittling away at the defenders ability to keep said attacks from hitting anything vital. With that in mind, Second Wind is not physically impossible at all. In fact you should be wondering why it isn't a more common ability among these highly trained warriors.

unfortunately, the spell that removes HP damage isn't "make you harder to hit again", it is "cure wounds".

not to mention i bet if we dug around in the rules for ranged attacks (and possibly the rules for finding arrows that you've fired) we'd find them explicitly mentioning that a hit is in fact a hit.

but, as i said, so long as people can pretend like it isn't magical so that they can keep telling themselves that their fighter is not supernatural in any way, i don't really care if it's physically possible or not :)

Morcleon
2015-07-18, 12:50 PM
unfortunately, the spell that removes HP damage isn't "make you harder to hit again", it is "cure wounds".

not to mention i bet if we dug around in the rules for ranged attacks (and possibly the rules for finding arrows that you've fired) we'd find them explicitly mentioning that a hit is in fact a hit.

but, as i said, so long as people can pretend like it isn't magical so that they can keep telling themselves that their fighter is not supernatural in any way, i don't really care if it's physically possible or not :)

To quote the PHB: "When your current hit point total is half or more of your total hit point maximum, you typically show no signs of injury."

SharkForce
2015-07-18, 01:40 PM
To quote the PHB: "When your current hit point total is half or more of your total hit point maximum, you typically show no signs of injury."

and yet, cure wounds still cures your wounds.

Morcleon
2015-07-18, 01:46 PM

No, cure wounds restores your HP.

D&D has always treated HP as an abstraction, and 5e is no different, stating that it's a combination of durability, willpower, and luck.

Daishain
2015-07-18, 01:50 PM
Probably due to having a revitalizing effect that goes beyond minor tissue regeneration.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-18, 06:01 PM
We've wandered afield from undead, but that's the Internet for you. The not-entirely-physical nature of HP is also why you can't one-shot a sleeping wizard; logic may dictate that you could cut his throat, but luck means he flinches aside as the blade descends and you only score a critical.