PDA

View Full Version : Anime Weapons in 5.0

j_spencer93
2015-07-17, 12:59 AM
Ok, for an Anime themed campaign coming up I am attempting to make several weapons/armor/items from popular animes/mangas and want some help deciding on the final products.

So Far:
Tessaiga- greatsword, as a full round action you may release a 30ft cone dealing 3d8 damage, Dex DC 8 + proficiency bonus + str mod for half.

Tenseiga- longsword, as an action action you may strike a target and forgo dealing damage to instead cast Cure Wounds, with a caster level equal to half your character level.

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 01:03 AM
Tessaiga- greatsword, as a full round action you may release a 30ft cone dealing 3d8 damage, Dex DC 8 + proficiency bonus + str mod for half.

Full round actions don't exist. And that needs serious limits, or you'll do ridiculous AoE damage constantly.

Tenseiga- longsword, as an action action you may strike a target and forgo dealing damage to instead cast Cure Wounds, with a caster level equal to half your character level.

Caster level doesn't exist anymore. You need to specify a casting stat. And lastly, you need limits on how often you can cast, or you're looking at infinite out of combat healing.

Neither of these look that good for 5E.

j_spencer93
2015-07-17, 02:01 AM
Full round actions don't exist. And that needs serious limits, or you'll do ridiculous AoE damage constantly.

Caster level doesn't exist anymore. You need to specify a casting stat. And lastly, you need limits on how often you can cast, or you're looking at infinite out of combat healing.

Neither of these look that good for 5E.

Well then help convert them lol honestly i forgot the full action and caster level didn't exist. How I forgot that Idk.

foREVer_Lawliet
2015-07-17, 03:38 AM
How about something with Cloud's buster sword?

A +1 great-sword to begin with with a strength req of 15 and martial weapons prof to wield.

Can use action to break apart the sword into into two short swords, two long swords and a great sword. Sword takes 1d4 turns to put back together.

Or maybe the Gunblade...Used as a normal great sword, or the player can fire a bolt of energy with dex mod added to attack/damage roll, for 1d10 damage with same range as longbow?

Inevitability
2015-07-17, 06:34 AM
Not really an anime, but the FF gunsword might be interesting. It is ridiculous enough... :smalltongue:

Gunsword

When you hit a target with this magical +1 longsword, you may immediately make another attack as a bonus action. This attack has a bonus of your dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus + 1, it is made with advantage, and it deals 1d10 + your dexterity modifier piercing damage on a hit.

Ralanr
2015-07-17, 07:43 AM
I would suggest the Dragonslayer from Berserk.

Or the Berserker armor from Berserk.

Millface
2015-07-17, 09:51 AM
The Death Note (Requires attunement by a spellcaster): As an action you write someones name in the Death Note and they die. No save. You are god.

Seems balanced, right? Pairs well with Shinigami Eyes (Artifact, Cursed): True sight. When you look upon someone you see their true name and exact time of death. Your own natural life is halved. Best used by an Elf.

j_spencer93
2015-07-18, 07:18 AM
How about something with Cloud's buster sword?

A +1 great-sword to begin with with a strength req of 15 and martial weapons prof to wield.

Can use action to break apart the sword into into two short swords, two long swords and a great sword. Sword takes 1d4 turns to put back together.

Or maybe the Gunblade...Used as a normal great sword, or the player can fire a bolt of energy with dex mod added to attack/damage roll, for 1d10 damage with same range as longbow?

That isn't the Buster sword. Thats his fusion blade from Advent Children, but still, not really a terrible idea.

Gunsword doesn't sound bad, and actually a Death Note would be interesting in D&D, as numerous races don't use their full names or real names all the time especially to outsiders, and Wizards use aliases alot too.

Yagyujubei
2015-07-18, 09:49 AM
Well then help convert them lol honestly i forgot the full action and caster level didn't exist. How I forgot that Idk.

he did help you by showing you what wouldn't work in this edition...did you want help? or did you want someone to just do all the work for you?

that being said, this is how i would do it:

BTW, this is anime weapons so F*** balance

Asuramaru (Owari no Serafu): +1(+2/3) cursed magical Katana. Versatile, Finesse, 1d8/1d12.

-Demon Aura (bonus action to toggle on/off): Asuramaru's wielder may draw upon the power of the demon within to enter a rage-like state gaining the benefits for up to 1(2/4) minutes (recharges upon long rest). While activated, you have advantage on strength checks and saving throws, additionally when you make a DEX weapon attack, you may add +2(+3/4) to the attacks damage roll and you have resistance to non-magical weapon damage.

-Asura Kannon (standard action): Once per long rest, you may use your action to make a melee weapon attack against all enemies in a 5(10/15)ft radius. You roll a separate attack roll for each target and deal damage as you would with a normal attack.

Demon Bonding Ceremony: During a long rest you may attempt to bond further with Asuramaru. During this time you are fully unconscious for 8 hours and can not be woken by any means. While bonding you must perform a series of increasingly difficult ability contests with the demon possessing the sword. Upon success the becomes +2 (+3) and gains enhanced powers. Upon failure you become possessed by the sword until you succeed a very high DC will save. You may attempt this save once per minute, and while possessed by the sword you gain it's full effects and will attack and kill indiscriminately until you regain control or are killed.

*as for the saves, that's up to dm discretion, but generally I would set them at a level that the upgrades were possible at level 11 and lvl 17. maybe do something like death saves, where you make checks vs. the DC and starting at 0, you make them until you either hit +3 (success) or -3 (failure). you could have the DC go up or down 1 for each success or failure or something like that.

also, for the final powerup that takes it to +3 I would recommend (in true anime fashion) to have the wielder face the demon 1v1 in a battle that takes place in their subconscious while having the ability contests rolled throughout the fight and effect its difficulty.

maybe this is more elaborate/strong than you were intending, but in my mind an anime themed world/campaign would have to be this level of insane to really be awesome fun.

j_spencer93
2015-07-18, 11:37 PM
Well no need to be snarky. I if they didn't work, which i get looking them over, it would have been nice for some suggestions of what went wrong where and how to fix them. I didn't mind the negative help, simply wasn't sure how to proceed. Now, these give me some new ideas, and I agree. They are anime weapons screw balance. Plus they weren't to be found until later at which point NPCs would be homemade and wielding their own original stuff. So a little OP wouldn't hurt.

Still not entirely sure why a cone 3d6 is overpowered though. Ya at low levels it would rock, actually it is as strong as some cantrips.

Btw i didn't even know what that was, after googling it, I must say it is freaking sweet. Might look into that Manga and Anime, although I prefer Manga more.