PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Silly Wizard combo idea

Lady Tialait
2015-07-17, 04:13 AM
Does this work by raw?

Step 1: Hoard Gullet shared with Familiar
Step 2: Have Familiar fill Hoard Gullet (Almost) with water.
Step 3: Alter Self to Aquatic subtype humanoid.
Step 4: Enter Hoard Gullet of Familar.

The familiar is a Raven, with fly speed and such. Poke my head out to cast spells, and allow me to fly around the battlefield.

Does this work how I think it works?

frogglesmash
2015-07-17, 04:33 AM
Why are you filling it with water?

BowStreetRunner
2015-07-17, 08:19 AM
First, the familiar has to SWALLOW anything it puts in its hoard gullet. So you would have to be swallowed to be in there. Second, the familiar "can't remove individual items" from the hoard gullet, you included. It has to spew out the entire contents. So poking your head out would not work.

frogglesmash
2015-07-17, 08:34 AM
First, the familiar has to SWALLOW anything it puts in its hoard gullet. So you would have to be swallowed to be in there. Second, the familiar "can't remove individual items" from the hoard gullet, you included. It has to spew out the entire contents. So poking your head out would not work.

Since the quote specifies that "you can't remove individual items" (in this case you refers to the familiar), it could be argued that someone other than the individual who is the target of the spell could remove individual items since they are not specifically called out by the previously quoted portion of the spell's description.

Segev
2015-07-17, 08:35 AM
I believe the "fill it with water and be aquatic" combination is meant to get around the "creatures suffocate after X time" rule. Unfortunately, that rule doesn't even require you to be a breathing creature; anything inside it suffocates (unless specifically immune to suffocation). So water as your breathing medium instead of air does not actually stop you from suffocating in the hoard gullet.

frogglesmash
2015-07-17, 08:47 AM
I believe the "fill it with water and be aquatic" combination is meant to get around the "creatures suffocate after X time" rule. Unfortunately, that rule doesn't even require you to be a breathing creature; anything inside it suffocates (unless specifically immune to suffocation). So water as your breathing medium instead of air does not actually stop you from suffocating in the hoard gullet.

Would undead or construct types get around that? Their type descriptions say they don't need to eat, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing that explicitly says they're immune to suffocation.

Segev
2015-07-17, 08:56 AM
Would undead or construct types get around that? Their type descriptions say they don't need to eat, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing that explicitly says they're immune to suffocation.

It's often listed as a rules dysfunction that undead and constructs suffocate inside bags of holding. I'm not 100% positive it's accurate; I would need to look up suffocation rules to see if they specify that they only work on creatures who need to breathe, or if the rules interaction is such that most situations where things suffocate normally specify they only work on things that breathe or reference being unable to breathe as their trigger.

Lady Tialait
2015-07-17, 09:21 AM
These hiccups are things that can be gotten around.

The silliness of the rules regarding suffocation also be gotten around. Simply alter self into something akin to a lizardfolk who can hold their breath for like forever.

As for the rules of what you can normally eat, those are a bit odd, given that you have to be three full size categories smaller then what is eating you. This means that Tiny creatures cannot eat anything...fine being the smallest and too big for them to eat. This means that by RAW cats and birds and frogs and things cannot eat. Silly rules are silly.

frogglesmash
2015-07-17, 10:42 AM
These hiccups are things that can be gotten around.

The silliness of the rules regarding suffocation also be gotten around. Simply alter self into something akin to a lizardfolk who can hold their breath for like forever.

As for the rules of what you can normally eat, those are a bit odd, given that you have to be three full size categories smaller then what is eating you. This means that Tiny creatures cannot eat anything...fine being the smallest and too big for them to eat. This means that by RAW cats and birds and frogs and things cannot eat. Silly rules are silly.

Youre talking about the swallow whole rule. When was the last time you heard of a lion swallowing a zebra whole?