PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Nationalities

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-01, 09:12 PM
I had the idea to determine which character from the comic would be from which country. It's based mostly on name, but some attributes. (I left out most people who don't fit for various reasons.)

European:
Roy: General Western Europe or America
Haley: Britain/Ireland
Elan: France or Britain
Vaarsuvius: it's a pun on Vesuvius, volcano in Italy
Durkon: Scotland (accent). The name fits nowhere, but the culture is pre-Christian Scandinavia.
Belkar: Name fits nowhere.
Nale: America/Britain
Pompey: Rome (as Pompeius)

Japanese:
Miyazaki Miko
Shojo
Hinjo
Tsukiko
Miyazaki Eiko (spelled Eyko, but who cares - Miko's parent)
[Daimyo] Kubota

Korean:
O-chul
Soon Kim
Jaemin (barely mentioned prison guard)
Mijung

Unknown (Chinese/Korean):
[General] Chang

Thai:
Sangwaan (สังวาล)

Vietnamese:
Lien

If there are any other named Azurites I haven't mentioned, say so.

(It's based off the phonology of the language(s) in question, if you wanted to know.)

Fawkes
2007-05-01, 09:57 PM
Shlubbo Noname-zaki (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html)

And is Daimyo a title?

Mewtarthio
2007-05-01, 10:07 PM
Shlubbo Noname-zaki (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html)

And is Daimyo a title?

You are aware that was a joke, right?

And, yes, I'm fairly certain daimyo is a title. At least, it was in the CivIII Conquerors scenario "Sword of the Shogun."

Glarx
2007-05-01, 10:10 PM
The daimyo (大名, daimyō?) (daimyō (help·info)) were the most powerful feudal rulers from the 10th century to the 19th century in Japan. The term "daimyo" literally means "great name." From the shugo of the Muromachi period through the sengoku to the daimyo of the Edo period, the rank had a long and varied history. The term "daimyo" is also sometimes used to refer to the leading figures of such clans, also called "lord". It was usually, though not exclusively, from these warlords that a shogun arose or a regent was chosen.

The daimyo usually wore purples, ranging from dark to light depending on how high ranked they were. Dark and light purple preceded dark and light green, dark and light red, and finally black. The very highest daimyo were considered to be nobles.

13_CBS
2007-05-01, 10:11 PM
Hmm...I've never heard of the names Sangwaan and Mijung before, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if they were Korean names.

And Change is not necessarily a Chinese name. The famous violinist Sarah Chang is a full blooded Korean.

Demented
2007-05-01, 10:11 PM
Well, Shlubbo is clearly Yiddish, but otherwise, Noname-Zaki sounds perfectly Japanese.
Some people may have trouble understanding that this is a joke. The following disclaimer is for those people alone:
DISCLAIMER! This is a joke. Thank you.

Cade
2007-05-01, 10:15 PM
Daimyo is a title, I believe, from feudal Japan, the equivalent of a medieval lord. They held land and were inbetween the shogun and the samurai/peasents.

EDIT: Ninja'd! I was more or less wrong, anyway....

JohnnyPsycho
2007-05-02, 05:10 AM
Well, Shlubbo is clearly Yiddish, but otherwise, Noname-Zaki sounds perfectly Japanese.
Some people may have trouble understanding that this is a joke. The following disclaimer is for those people alone:

If you pronounced that "No-nah-meh-zah-kee", maybe...:smallbiggrin:
Hint: I'm fairly certain that's really NOT how it's supposed to be pronounced. This was also a joke. You're welcome.

Finn Solomon
2007-05-02, 05:21 AM
Sangwaan sounds more Korean than Japanese to me.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-02, 06:20 AM
I'm going on my limited knowledge of phonologies of Asian languages for this. Corrections appreciated.

Dectilon
2007-05-02, 06:49 AM
If we make it harder then? What would the logical origin of Roy, Haley, Elan etc be? (If you can't say 'american')

Fawkes
2007-05-02, 10:45 AM
I now use the term "Nonamezaki" to refer to any anonymous Azure City soldier. I got the joke.

I didn't, however, understand what "Daimyo" meant. I thought that was his first name.

SPoD
2007-05-02, 01:57 PM
I thought we had this conversation before...

"Sangwaan" is Thai (http://www.thai-language.com/id/589844).

"Lien" is Vietnamese (http://www.babynamesworld.com/vietnamese_names.html).

"Mi-Jung" is Korean. (Couldn't find it in a name list, but here's a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seo_(Korean_name)) of people on Wikipedia, one of whom has Mi-Jung as a given name.)

CardinalFang
2007-05-02, 03:46 PM
Sangwaan sounds more Korean than Japanese to me.
To my knowledge (admittedly, I'm not of an Asian descent), Sangwaan CAN'T be Japanese, because no combination of syllables will give you N-G-W. You could maybe go with Sanguaan or Sanguwaan, but any syllable beginning with a G (or really, any letter other than N or sometimes M) has to have both a consonant and a vowel, as I understand it.

Wrecan
2007-05-02, 04:17 PM
If we make it harder then? What would the logical origin of Roy, Haley, Elan etc be? (If you can't say 'american')
Roy is Scottish, English or French
Elan is French
Haley sounds Irish
Vaarsuvius is Latin obviously
Durkon is classic fantasy

mikeejimbo
2007-05-02, 04:33 PM
Roy is Scottish, English or French
Elan is French
Haley sounds Irish
Vaarsuvius is Latin obviously
Durkon is classic fantasy

Personally, I think that European names are easier, but I'm of European descent.

Those sound about right to me. Note that 'elan' is also an English word, I believe, adopted from the French, naturally.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elan

Vaarsuvius is a pun on the volcano Vesuvius. It destroyed the city of Pompeii. (Hence, I assume, the name of V's wizard evil counterpart Pompey, although Pompey was also a Roman man. Wasn't he in the First Triumvirate?)

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-02, 04:37 PM
Fixes made. I don't mind correcting myself, it just means I'm learning.

Roy: general Western European
Elan: English (as the Japanese-English-Japanese thread shows, 'elan' is an old word for 'vigor'.)
Haley: Gaelic-ish
Vaarsuvius: Latin-sounding nonsense. There is no 'aa' in Latin.
Durkon: Name fits into no categories- general 'fantasy tongue' (one of my most hated enemies)

Vaarsuvius is a pun on the volcano Vesuvius. It destroyed the city of Pompeii. (Hence, I assume, the name of V's wizard evil counterpart Pompey, although Pompey was also a Roman man. Wasn't he in the First Triumvirate?)

Yeah - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. Friend, then mortal enemy of Caesar. Defeated at Pharsalos in 48 BC, assasinated in Aegyptus in the same year.

Like the pun - V owns Pompey.

EDIT: Added these guys to the first post.

CardinalFang
2007-05-02, 04:51 PM
More specifically, Roy means "king," as in rey/roi (I don't know it in Italian). It's where we get the word "reign," as well, I believe. If you know someone with the name Leroy, it means "the king."

Sammi_Somara
2007-05-02, 04:57 PM

XD thats priceless!

JohnnyPsycho
2007-05-02, 05:54 PM
More specifically, Roy means "king," as in rey/roi (I don't know it in Italian). It's where we get the word "reign," as well, I believe. If you know someone with the name Leroy, it means "the king."

My own search of the name "Roy" came up with a French and Gaelic origin, meaning "king" or "royal" (note "roy" is in that word, too). More than likely based on the Latin word Rex, also meaning "king", and also a fab-oo dog's name.

teratorn
2007-05-02, 08:50 PM
Elan is French

Like in Élan?

(Alces Alces, known as moose in the US).

Wrecan
2007-05-02, 09:39 PM
Yes, like in Élan

Gandal
2007-05-02, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, just a note - if Elan is French, so is Nale. They should be of the same descent, for obvious reasons.

CardinalFang
2007-05-02, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, just a note - if Elan is French, so is Nale. They should be of the same descent, for obvious reasons.
Elan is French; Nale is an anagram by parents who are either uncreative or overly dramatic. :P

Actually, for the purposes of exactitude, Nale is a semordnilap.

admirableJ
2007-05-02, 11:22 PM
Note on Roy: I had always thought it was a spanish name (Ruy) maybe similar to what you guys are saying, or maybe I have no Idea what I'm talking about.

Demented
2007-05-02, 11:25 PM
Elan is French; Nale is an anagram by parents who are either uncreative or overly dramatic. :P

Closer to a grmaaan than a emordnilap.

CardinalFang
2007-05-02, 11:27 PM
Closer to a grmaaan than a emordnilap.
It's Elan completely backwards...that qualifies it as a semordnilap. :D (I love that word.)

teratorn
2007-05-02, 11:34 PM

Why not the opposite? Nale is a family name and even has its own coat of arms, it's a name whose origin has to do with someone who ran or spent a lot of time at an ale house. Adequate for a barmaid's son.

Tharr
2007-05-02, 11:38 PM
Banjo is ancient Sumerian for he who is all powerful master.
Mr. Scruffy is from the cat star nebula.
Thog is German its Goth form letters moved.
Durkon is Klingon from rumors.
Sabine could be French and I heard she does with Nale.
Belkar is from the land of Mordor forget your lore.

Demented
2007-05-02, 11:41 PM
It's Elan completely backwards...that qualifies it as a semordnilap. :D (I love that word.)

Sorry to say, it means something completely different. (http://www.answers.com/palindrome&r=67) Though, that meaning is much more spectacular. If I may say so myself.

Alysar
2007-05-02, 11:43 PM
Thog is German its Goth form letters moved.

You mean an umlaut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_%28diacritic%29)?

CardinalFang
2007-05-02, 11:50 PM
Sorry to say, it means something completely different. (http://www.answers.com/palindrome&r=67) Though, that meaning is much more spectacular. If I may say so myself.
What do you mean? A word which spells another word backwards is a semordnilap. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semordnilap#Semordnilaps

Your link didn't seem that helpful (admittedly, I was making dinner while I read it)...it didn't mention them at all, from what I saw.

Demented
2007-05-02, 11:53 PM
Oh, sorry. I thought you were spelling "palindromes" backwards to be witty. =P

Silverlocke980
2007-05-03, 09:56 AM
Roy's an American. No way anybody from another country could be that ridiculously jaded and annoyed with his fellow party members.

(I'm from America, I know how it works!)

That, or he's British, but I doubt he has the accent.

Belkar is almost certainly Belgian... they are just "so damn evil"...

Haley is Irish. Red hair FTW!

Elan I see as spectacularly French. Ineffectual, ineffective, but man, he's bloody trying. Take that, France!

Durkon's Scottish, gotta go with the accent there.

As for V? Switzerland.

He's even neutral when it comes to his/her/its gender!!!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-03, 10:52 AM
Roy's an American. No way anybody from another country could be that ridiculously jaded and annoyed with his fellow party members.

(I'm from America, I know how it works!)

Yeah, if you try to put Roy into modern nationalities he's an african american. He just doesn't work in medieval Europe. Not that he needs to.

Strengfellow
2007-05-03, 12:01 PM
Yeah, if you try to put Roy into modern nationalities he's an african american. He just doesn't work in medieval Europe. Not that he needs to.

One could say that Roy is a Moor which would tie him in quite nicely with medieval europe.

Grumpy_Frenchman
2007-05-03, 12:16 PM
Elan I see as spectacularly French. Ineffectual, ineffective, but man, he's bloody trying. Take that, France!

Yes, thank you very much, indeed. :smallsigh: