PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Starting at Lvl 0

Draco_Lord
2015-07-17, 11:09 AM
So this has been bouncing around in my head for a while now, but how easy is it to start at level 0? And have characters gain their first level in a real class by the end of the first or second session?

This would be for Pathfinder, in case that matters too much.

But basically, a while ago I thought about having characters not so much predesigned, and generally built for a class, details on them added after that core has been made. But the reverse, designing a person, giving them a back story, and having them gain their first level after playing as them for a little while.

Even having their stats limited, maybe having them only roll 2d6 at first, and then adding a third afterwards as a simple idea. Or using point buy to augment them once they gain their first level.

In terms of starting stats, they would have to be in an NPC class of some kind. I would probably limited it to Commoner and Aristocrat (I generally do let my players play a noble if I think it fits), as Warrior, Expert, and Adept seem a little out of the flavour of this. And use use the hit die rules, replacing them once they gain their first level.

During their time as level 0s I would keep track of things they do, people who hit things with swords would get a point towards marshal classes, people who hide towards rogues and the like, and of course give them simple wands, which people who even try to use get some points towards magic (even if they probably won't be able to). And so on. At the end they can pick from the section they have the highest points in, or from multiple if they tie.

So, thoughts on this? Is this a dumb idea, or something that could be cool to run?

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-17, 11:14 AM
Sounds neat. But for mechanical purposes, I would just start them with a mediocre spread and as a level 1 commoner/other NPC class. That way it isn't overly complicated and you can "level up" by swapping out that NPC class for a PC class.

Yomega
2015-07-17, 11:29 AM
I can say I have tried this on more than one occasion and I would recommend against it, unless your players are brand new most will already know what class/build they want to make and lvl 1 characters are already very samey.

Also flavorfuly several classes arnt trained into, oracles are cursed by there gods without requiring taking a test, sorcerers blood boils with magic possibly in spite of your childhood hero being a knight in shining armor, monks and wizards need extreme amounts of study and discipline before there lvl 1.

Best of luck if you proceed but experience tells me to proceed with caution.

Palanan
2015-07-17, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Draco_Lord
But the reverse, designing a person, giving them a back story, and having them gain their first level after playing as them for a little while.

…In terms of starting stats, they would have to be in an NPC class of some kind. I would probably limited it to Commoner and Aristocrat….

This is exactly what I had in mind for my next campaign--not starting at level 0, but starting as first-level commoners. It would necessarily involve more narrative and roleplaying than many campaigns, which is fine for what I have in mind.

Originally Posted by Draco_Lord
During their time as level 0s I would keep track of things they do, people who hit things with swords would get a point towards [martial] classes, people who hide towards rogues and the like….

I had a similar notion, with the general plan of allowing the players to choose a matching PC class around second or third level. I'd allow them to rebuild at that point, or rather to round out their existing skills and feats with what they would have received had they started in those classes.

As to how well it would work--it depends entirely on the players, both their willingness to try something different and their ability to focus on roleplaying and problem-solving. I know some players who would take to this like an otter to water, and others who wouldn't quite get it, so the players would need to be chosen with care.

SkipSandwich
2015-07-17, 04:37 PM
In my expierence, this works best in a sort of "Schrodenger's Character" fashion where the game begins with most of the character sheet blank to be filled in with feats/skills and equipment as they become relevant. The idea is that the character had that stuff all along but it was only now mentioned. It works best in systems with more freeform generic classes or point based progression, but could be adapted to dnd.